Sign in to follow this  
OllieOhNine

Homemade Downstreaming/X-Jet

Question

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own downstream/x-jet type injector, or anything of the sort for their pressure washers? I am just starting to get into the business and all the equipment you all use and suggest to use looks like it can be made just as good using cheap parts from local hardware stores. I was thinking of doing this but I would like input.

1) I would like to know if the x-jet or downstreamers hook in just before the nozzle or right before the wand?

Is this feasable?

20 answers to this question

This has been discussed a hundred times or so and the concensus is always the same. Buy the right tools to get the job done. No one has been able to duplicate the X-Jets draw ratio. A cheap downstreamer will set you back $10.

You can use one of the cheaper knockoffs of the X-Jet that will be fine to do vinyl housewashes. This type of injector attaches to the end of your lance like any other nozzle. A downstreamer attaches sometime after your pump and usually before the output hose.

You may want to just contact a vendor who sponsors here and ask them a few questions. Not one of them will sell you what you don't need. You won't be saving any money when you cobble together a system that costs you time compared to what you can get off-the-shelf. Don't spend time re-inventing the wheel.

I'm assuming that you plan to make money at this, and if so, don't cheat yourself when it comes to the tools that will make you successful. If you are looking at housewashing, my best guess is that you will be in the $4000-$5000 dollar range for a insurance, licenses, trailer, a cold water unit (4+ GPM), lances, wands, extension wands, ladders, hoses, reels, and some of the other basics. Many people who post here have made that in a week, so don't sell yourself short on equipment.

You might get by cheaper with some used equipment.

Basically I am asking, bare minimum for washing regular residential housing, from garden hose out, what rig is suggested without paying arms and legs?

That's not what you asked. You asked about X-Jets and downstreamers. There is a search button and a library on this forum that you will find invaluable.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to make their own downstream/x-jet type injector, or anything of the sort for their pressure washers? I am just starting to get into the business and all the equipment you all use and suggest to use looks like it can be made just as good using cheap parts from local hardware stores. I was thinking of doing this but I would like input.

1) I would like to know if the x-jet or downstreamers hook in just before the nozzle or right before the wand?

Is this feasable?

Spend the money on quality equipment and spend your time making money, not trying to reinvent the wheel to save a few bucks. No, you can't make an xjet with hardware store parts, not without a machine shop and a good bit of knowhow...which I imagine you're lacking given your questions about how the Xjet is used.

Besides, for housewashing, you don't need an Xjet..Contact Paul Kassander or Bob Williamson, both on this board, and they can set you up with a good downstreamer and the tips you need for considerably less than the Xjet costs.

As far as not spending an arm or a leg on equipment, it all depends on whether you want to have the equipment that will allow you to do a quality, professional job in a reasonable time, or whether you want to use the same equipment many of your customers have in their garages but don't use because they found using inferior equipment takes way too long...That's why they call you.

If you really want to go cheap you can do like I saw one of my competitors (if you could call him that) doing right down the street from me a couple of years ago. He was using a hose end sprayer (like the kind you would use to apply fertilizer on your lawn) to spay straight bleach onto the house. He would use the garden hose for the hose end spayer then turn the water off and hook up his little pressure washer to rinse. Then repeat for each side of the house.

Come to think of it....I never have seen this guy again, but, hey, he was doing it the cheapest way he could think of I am sure.

If you really want to go cheap you can do like I saw one of my competitors (if you could call him that) doing right down the street from me a couple of years ago. He was using a hose end sprayer (like the kind you would use to apply fertilizer on your lawn) to spay straight bleach onto the house. He would use the garden hose for the hose end spayer then turn the water off and hook up his little pressure washer to rinse. Then repeat for each side of the house.

Come to think of it....I never have seen this guy again, but, hey, he was doing it the cheapest way he could think of I am sure.

LOL! Perfect!!

Excuse me if I sound like a complete b*tch, but how are you going to ask a forum full of professionals who make a good living with professional equipment, many with some serious serious educational degrees and such why we would choose to spend our hard earned money on something that could be built using cheap local hardware piecey-parts? We're not talking about hobbies here - your equipment is your livelihood. You want to trust your mortgage payment to a dollar tree part?

Good advice for you, here, Ollie...

HD washer & DIY attachments and you will find out what you really can't do effectively. But you can make beer money.

Somewhere between $3k - $5k for good equipment setup.

Knowledge of proper chemical use... priceless !

I am expanding my biz to offer more PWing and THIS board is awesome!

r

Let me say I apologise to all who replied to my previous post, but I did not know that this was a site for only professionals. I was under the impression that it was also a learning tool for beginners. I am 20 years old, still in college, and I have no clue why I am there. I landscape for another company and mow lawns as well. I bought a power washer from lowes the other day not to start the new "burger king-of-pressure-washing-businesses". I am merley starting off as a broke college student that plans to answer to myself when I am the boss. So my message to you that replied is this: I was merely asking a question, looking for your opinion, not your criticism. Sometimes it's just as easy and effective to build things your own if you know what you are doing.

The learning tool for newbies on this site should start with the search function a the top of the page.There is enough info in the archives of this site to make your brain explode,but it's well worth your time to seek the answers most commonly asked by newbies there first.

Also,please add a signature to your profile.It's site policy.

Let me say I apologise to all who replied to my previous post, but I did not know that this was a site for only professionals. I was under the impression that it was also a learning tool for beginners. I am 20 years old, still in college, and I have no clue why I am there. I landscape for another company and mow lawns as well. I bought a power washer from lowes the other day not to start the new "burger king-of-pressure-washing-businesses". I am merley starting off as a broke college student that plans to answer to myself when I am the boss. So my message to you that replied is this: I was merely asking a question, looking for your opinion, not your criticism. Sometimes it's just as easy and effective to build things your own if you know what you are doing.

Yes, it is a board for beginners also...to learn from professionals.

And no, it usually isn't just as easy or effective to build things yourself, even if you know what you're doing, which clearly, based on your questions, you don't in this area. No offense intended, but you came here to ask if you could build a tool that you really don't even understand how it works, or even how to use it. You simply saw the cost (I assume) and said wow, I don't want to spend THAT much! Save the engineering for the engineers and the equipment building to the equipment suppliers, and spend your time learning HOW to use those tools, and HOW to do a professional job...If that's not what you're looking to learn, you've come to the wrong place.

Ollie

You have your Lowes pressure washer, (my 1st 2 PWers were Lowes) Get that and now spend a few hundred extra dollars and get some of the things you need. Really dont try to make things, its not worth the time

Like I said spend a little more, get some 12.5% and a soap ask questions, read old posts and you will learn in NO TIME that you dont have to be a BROKE college student. If you learn right, from the beginning and do some cost effective advertising, you can make some damn good money part time.

good luck

JL

OllieOhNine,

I suspect you'll never read this since you were so well received on your last visit.

I would like to remind everyone sitting in front of their computer loaded

with MicroSoft operating system, that it was a college kid, Bill Gates,

that decided to "reinvent the wheel". Is it necessary to also remind

you Bill Gates is a Billionare, and started MicroSoft in a garage because

he wanted to do it his way?

OllieOhNine, you build every part of your business out of toothpicks,

cheap hardware parts, and Radio Shack transistors if it works better,

and please come back often to tell us of your successes, cause you've

got a career full of 'em.

Board full of professionals. Yep.

Best Wishes,

Mr. Brown

Bill Gates didn't "reinvent the wheel". He invented the wheel. He's reinvented it many times since, and there are those who have tried to reinvent his wheel, but none who have been very successful at it.

Mike, Think he was refering to how Gates took someone elses stuff and tweaked it to be his own wheel. His went faster and more efficient.....whatever the case...

Mr. Brown, I don't mind helping younger people get there head on straight and point them right direction to better achieve their goals. Business is rough and tough and maybe it will eat him up if he don't hear the facts that them other fellas thought most important to give him. Maybe you failed to recognize that the individuals that did not receive him well deserve honesty of intention/forthrightness. It so happens this group of professionals is about the cream of the crop and he will remember and be thankful for some the sound advice given if he sticks with it. Personally I think his 20 year old drive and ambition and way of going about things is about on track far as maturity goes and he gets point in my book for making apology. Such is not often seen these days in young folks. You on other hand..I don't know.. Have no idea how old you are but I feel a tad offended and think your closing remark is somewhat rude upon this forum...

Well anyways I am sure you know best how you wish to be received so carry on.. ..God Bless :)

Bill Gates didn't "reinvent the wheel". He invented the wheel. He's reinvented it many times since, and there are those who have tried to reinvent his wheel, but none who have been very successful at it.

Not that it is significant in this thread but I thought I would point out that B.G. did not invent it ... Jobs did. B.G. just took it and altered it as a different platform operating system (DOS) without his consent. From that point, they both developed a GUI. One more popular (windows) the other more stable (Mac).

The only other who has tried with any success was the developer of Linux.

Rod!~

Not that it is significant in this thread but I thought I would point out that B.G. did not invent it ... Jobs did. B.G. just took it and altered it as a different platform operating system

That's the story, anyway! :)

Bill Gates was a billionaire, but he also profited off of the experience of others. If you remember he convinced some poor sap to sell him al the rights for the DOS operating system, so that he could resell licenses for it to IBM. Ollie is trying to profit off the ideas of others.

Ollie, I have been in this business for about 18 years. I have managed to have a modicum of success, and a bit of luck that has propelled me to greater heights. I have found that if you see a successful business, that you do not need to reinvent the wheel. You are far better off duplicating a solid business model. There are some things that can be made cheaper and more efficiently at home. You can easily use a ball valve as a trigger for your wand, but it is not reallly safe, or OSHA approved, yet that is just what one of the largest contractors uses with their hundreds of crews. I would not do it, because I value the health and life of my employees more than that. And I certainly value my life more than that.

Now, for what it is worth a cheap X-Jet can be made. You just need a T two nozzles and a hose barb. Put one of the nozzles on the inside of the T, so that when water blows through it creates a low pressure area in the center of the t and then put the other nozzle facing the same direction on the other side of the T. Put the hose barb on the side and you have an x-jet. The effectiveness will probably not be as high as the real deal, and quite honestly, by the time you make it and buy the parts, etc, you will probably have more time and money in it than it would have cost to buy it in the first place.

Of course that is just my rookie opinion.

OllieOhNine,

Best Wishes,

Mr. Brown

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but Xerox invented the wheel, Steve jobs perfected the wheel, Bill Gates stole it.:)

Also, Bill Gate's Microsoft was built with a multitude of people offering him suggestions - which is what is being offered to Ollie right now.

I've found this place a great place to learn the trade and I'm sure Ollie will as well if he sticks with it.