Sign in to follow this  
Lenny Schrec

What to do with new help?

Question

I hired my first employee outside of the family last week. Two of my three sons work the business with me, or I should say they do the work and I do the selling. We have been busy so I hired a young guy last week. He seems like he might work out untill today. I need someone that can drive. This morning as I was getting ready to go to bed after working my other job all night he calls me. He asked if he could come in late because he was taking his girlfriend to her mothers and he had trouble staying awake while driving. He said he was in bed last night by 10:00.

If I didn't ned the help so bad I would have told him his last check was in the mail.

What would you do? He only worked 2 weeks for us.

19 answers to this question

I'd say since his performance was good up till today keep him for now... Let him build a mini track record of screw-ups before you let him go..Call this one "strike one".....Sometimes they could strike out on just two pitches..If he is good and responsible for the next month or so I would take his strike away and call him a keeper and give him a $100 bonus to take his girl out for dinner..Employees love being appreciated.......At least he called..Some don't.....

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

I hired my first employee outside of the family last week. Two of my three sons work the business with me, or I should say they do the work and I do the selling. We have been busy so I hired a young guy last week. He seems like he might work out untill today. I need someone that can drive. This morning as I was getting ready to go to bed after working my other job all night he calls me. He asked if he could come in late because he was taking his girlfriend to her mothers and he had trouble staying awake while driving. He said he was in bed last night by 10:00.

If I didn't ned the help so bad I would have told him his last check was in the mail.

What would you do? He only worked 2 weeks for us.

Lenny get used to it. I would say get rid of him, but in a pinch sometimes somethings better than nothing. I just fired one guy last week and another looks like he's going next week. Its a PITA

Good luck

JL

No Jeff, I'm right..Sometimes the youngins screw up..Shoot, he's doin better than me when I was that age...lol

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Write him up and have him sign it.

Mark it down as a warning or more than that (Your preference).

Every time things happen they should be written up and you both sign it and then file it.

So many write ups and then they are gone.

You have to be the boss and let them know that this is not acceptable or in time you will walked all over.

You know what? We are too f#$$%&n nice.

By a show of hands, guys.. How many of you would have called your boss after two weeks on a new job and asked to come in late so you could sleep in????? Huh? Shitcan this guy, pronto. As it begins, so it will be.

I don't know...Maybe it's his first girlfriend and he was tuckered out...lol.......Thats a good enough excuse for me......It aint the end of the world if you go lenient on the youngster for now...

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

You know what? We are too f#$$%&n nice.

By a show of hands, guys.. How many of you would have called your boss after two weeks on a new job and asked to come in late so you could sleep in????? Huh? Shitcan this guy, pronto. As it begins, so it will be.

I really like the new attitude Ken v.2

........happy to have you on the dark side buddy:lildevil:

Ha!

Try selecting an employee in CA !

A dozen or so prospects, pick the best one, and shows up on time...

says, "maybe I could drug test in 3 weeks or so?"

Liability is such a BIG word here in CA !

I am AFRAID to hire someone off the street and take him, or HER, to a clients home. I would love to "grow" a business, as they say, but I'd rather stay small and have the greatest respect for my clients security.

r

I agree with Ken, but its a rough out there. I have one thats getting fired soon. I'd like to do it today, but I'll wait till I train another then do it

I give a $1.00 raise if you have perfect attendance your 1st 30 days. I have 4 guys, ones been fired and the other is going soon . The other 2 have been doing fine for 2 1/2 weeks. One of them is very reliable and you can tell he wants to do a good job, the other is taking a little more time to train but seems eager for the work & OT

Its a shame I remember I would miss a day or 2 in a year, a lot of these sh*ts miss a day or 2 a month or week. How do these bums live, I'd be so embarrassed missing time my 1st few months for any reason

No Beth, I do not think he does. He might still be covered under his parents, he's 18. Do you know of a good health plan? I need to get some for one if not both of my sons. One of them is covered with his wife.

Yeah, good luck, in my neck of the woods you can't even find anyone legal who lives within 20 miles. The college age kids around here are all driving BMWs and Escalades, and you can bet they didn't pay for them!

I wish I could go through 20 legal guys to find the right one, I can't find any! I'd love to have your problem.

Okay hang on Because here it goes:

Everyone complains about the economy being bad and now they cannot find a job.

Either they were layed off or fired or just quit.

I do not understand what is wrong with people nowadays when it comes to responsibility.

When it comes to a job everyone wants one, but they do not want to work for it. Everyone wants the paycheck while they sit at home and play video games or party all night and day.

Sorry to say that most parents are raising there kids to be worthless.

When I think of my grandparents working to raise my parents is alot different now I understand because this is 2007 but:

My grandmother taught my mom how to cook for the family, canning and all. My mother passed that down to my sister who can cook for herself and the kids and husband. I am not saying this is a womans job at all, but there is a point behind this.

My grandfather taught my father the value of taking care of his wife as my grandfather took care of my grandmother. Example would be respect towards the wife and all women and working hard to support the family, and this means having a job.

The problem now and I notice this alot in teens is that they cannot do anything for themselves.

Mothers do not teach their daughters how to cook for themselves or any one if needed or even how to operate washing machines, gardening or other. Again this is not all, because there are many and I mean many very strong willed women that I would hire in a minute before I would hire a man.

Fathers do not teach their sons respect towards women, how to fix things, and the most important the value of having a job. I see men all the time on the side of the road with flat tires because they do not know how to change them.

When it comes to a job what I see and hear is from men:

I want a job=

My wife or girlfriend said I need to get a job because I play to many video games so I will give it a try to shut her up until she goes to work.

My wife or girlfriend said I need to get a job because we need more party money and assistance will not pay for it.

I need a job=

My wife also works and I don't think she should have to pay for my lazyness

I need to buck up and support my family so I can feed, cloth, and give them everything they deserve in life.

I hate living off the system and need a job so I can support my family.

I would never hire anybody who just wants a job,

I would only hire someone who needs a job and wants to support himself and his family.

I also do not deal with excuses when it comes to responsiblity (Job)

Excuses for no show or tardiness:

My girlfriend needed a ride (she couldn't drop you off and then take the car)?

The alarm didn't go off

I went roller skating all night and couldn't get up

I am sore

My family member was in the hospital for a fall or other non major (Are you a doctor?)

I was out all night drinking with friends

I don't feel like working today

My dog or cat puked

My car wouldn't start and I don't know how to fix it

I have a flat tire and won't make it even though I could change it in 10 minutes but you should find someone else to cover

I can't make it in but will the checks be in today for payday, because I make it then to pick it up

The list continues as we all know

Myself I would rather have my wife enjoy herself in whatever she wants, not slave over me, or have to work.

My grandmother did gardening because she loved it and canning, and my other grandmother loved cooking for my grandfather and that was her choice. My grandfathers worked and playing in the yards and fishing (even with the wifes and family)

My mother loved cooking, canning and also teaching kids. My father worked, loved cooking, and taking care of the yard while taking the family camping.

What they all had in common is they all passed values onto us kids, not like parents now.

Sorry to say that many in the states are lazy and would rather have things handed to them than work for them.

Again this is not everyone so don't start a big crab fest

There are many out there who need a job and want to support a family. The ones who just want a job and keep getting chances and treated like babies, with multiple chances after screwups are hurting the ones who need the job waiting for that opening and a chance to prove it.

If someone doesn't workout I say get rid of them and find the people who need a job, and this is where the interview weeds these out.

Do not hire someone based on facts that they drive the same car as you, or went to the same school as your drunk friend, like the the same rock band. You can and should treat your employees with respect, but they need to realize that this is a job and not a daycare.

You are the boss and they need to realize that

Dave makes some very valid points. I screwed up quite a bit as a Dad but my son sure busts his tail and always has. We never encouraged video games and he never was really into that. He always liked to tinker with things and work with tools. When he got into high school we told him if he wanted to be in sports or other school activities we would help him out with a car etc. but if he chose not to he would have a job. He chose the job and stayed at his first one for three years. Last year he started his own lawn service business and still fills in gaps working other jobs. Last week he was in Iowa plowing and planting for a former employer, he flew home today and went straight to a new construction house that he cleaned up for a builder he knows and Monday he will be cutting lawns.

I spent over ten years managing a textile plant and it would amaze me to see grown men with families quit a job simply because I asked them to show up everyday on time. There are good ones out there. They are just hard to find.