Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

are you IN REALITY as financially stable this year as 5 years ago

Given increased fuel prices, increased food prices, and with different news outlets reporting that we might be in a recession, are you IN REALITY as financially stable this year as 5 years ago? Would you comment on your assessment for the future?

Beth

Without a doubt I am worse off financially. Five years ago I had a very good paying job in textile mfg. The company was sold and the new mgmnt and I didn't see things the same way and I was let go. Started this business and am moving forward. While I was making a good living my wife and I lived well below our means and while things are tight now they would have been impossible if we had been in a larger house, newer cars, not saved, second mortgage, etc.

We are happy with what we have been blessed with and hopefully will turn the corner with the business this year.

Like the song says, My futures so bright I got to wear shades.

Yes I am better off than 5 years ago and ever before. I had high paying union job made good money but always for someone else. I have had and lost a lot over the years due to not growing up until my very late 30's. Now with hard work and just really enjoying being my own boss I get high off it.

I sometimes wonder when things are going to screw up or fall apart. I always thought those wasted years were great. Oh I had some fun thats for sure. Things are just basically going nice for me now. In the back of my head I wonder if it can last. Even if it doesnt I will do things different then in the past and I know i will come out ahead.........unless I kick the bucket, that would be a bummer LOL

I have a young family and I'm old, I figure I have about 15 years to make enough and save for me to live the rest of my life off of it and have enough for my wife and kids who will have many years past my life. My kids give me drive, motivation and the love for life that I have never had before, no matter what, bad economy, bad curcumstances whatever, I will truck on through what ever comes my way and I will be a success.

Man I get pretty heavy some times don't I?

Hell I can't wait to see what the next 5 years bring.

The King !! LOL

If we consider everything from 5 years ago and now - we're definitely MUCH better! There's something to be said about knowing that YOU are controlling how your life is :)

Now, if we had employees that were counting on us (our company) to sustain their families - I think I might have to be nervous with everything going up because you're having to work harder AND smarter.

We are definitely on the same page as Jeff : "My kids give me drive, motivation and the love for life that I have never had before, no matter what, bad economy, bad curcumstances whatever, I will truck on through what ever comes my way and I will be a success."

I'm better off now than 5 years ago. I was young & dumb, only thinking of myself and spending money on worthless stuff. Now I'm much smarter and wiser with the way I spend time and money.

As far as the future goes, there's no doubt we're going to be in a depression.

i am better off in all ways.

5 years ago I was bouncing around sales jobs after many years in management, trying to find myself. I realized the reason I sucked in management was I needed to be the owner. I sucked in sales cause I could sell myself better than selling a product. I make more money, work less, am less stressed,(except in areas involving my 2 teenage boys,)

I am starting to really slow down and the slow times bother me more than they used to because of the higher prices Im seeing and the uncertainty of the economy.

But, I believe wholeheartedly in this country and its ability to surpass problems.

THe future is bright and my kids will be better off. (provided I don't kill them first.)

i am better off in all ways.

5 years ago I was bouncing around sales jobs after many years in management, trying to find myself. I realized the reason I sucked in management was I needed to be the owner. I sucked in sales cause I could sell myself better than selling a product. I make more money, work less, am less stressed,(except in areas involving my 2 teenage boys,)

I am starting to really slow down and the slow times bother me more than they used to because of the higher prices Im seeing and the uncertainty of the economy.

But, I believe wholeheartedly in this country and its ability to surpass problems.

THe future is bright and my kids will be better off. (provided I don't kill them first.)

Hey jon, if I didnt kill my parents I'm sure you will survive. NEVER give up on your kids I know many who have and those that dont give up, the kids usually end up alright sooner or............later

My kids when they get to be teens are going to be perfect and never cause me any problems

I hope the down turn doesnt last to long for our great country

My kids when they get to be teens are going to be perfect and never cause me any problems

Are you all reading this??? LOL - Jeff, I'm going to look you up when your daughter turns 10! Teens doesn't start at 13 anymore :)

Celeste

I'm alot better off for sure I worked at the beer company making good money but spent it just as fast as I made it my business is doing good already bringing in more business than last year pretty much once I stoped drinking and partying and grew up my life got alot better financially

also stop watching cnn msnbc and start watching fox news

Beth,

We are lucky that we belong to an organization that helped us grow. (PDCA) We found the small problems that become large and the list goes on. As far as the question, In reality we are as stable this year as we were 5 years ago? Yes. With a business plan, we knew what we needed to do do overcome some of the problems we have today. We knew the equipment and man power to grow on. Raise prices as needed and do the right thing. Of course we did not do everything right. But enough to move on and continue to grow. That is a very good question we all must answer from time to time. Thank You.

Reality ????? NO

My propertys are all down the stocks markets down my 401's are 101's

In reality no, we are currently worth less.

I'm buying commercial property while its down. In two years everything will be back to normal and we should be up.

Business is on the rise, people going out and we are filling the gaps.

Customers are buying others out, happens in this type of economy.

All in all it will be a great year. first three months revenue UP!!!!!!!

So far this year we are up 8.3% over last year. I don't know off the top of my head how far we are up over 5 years ago, but it is significant. Our net revenues are down though, and it all because of INSURANCE!!! Even fuel is down 15% over last year, I attribute this to a little more efficient operation and firing a driver. I did not realize how badly I was getting TOTALLY screwed by him. I am now thinking that he wa only filling the truck every other day, and then filling his personal vehicle on the off days. That is the only thing I can think of. Just checked and we are up about 50% over 5 years ago. Net revenues are up 110% though. :D

How is your cash flow this year compared to last year the same time?

Beth

Numbers are up compared to last year...I just dont like the idea of other around me hurting so bad.

The guys thats been repairing my car for 15 years is thinking about shutting the doors. He slow because people are not driving and the are not fixing everything. Hes lost half his revenue since laast year and wonders why he still keeping the doors open. OH yeah, something about the two kids in college that still need him.

A local pizzaria I loved left in the middle of the night.

Even though our numbers may be up, if it keeps on this downward pace things will break.

Even saving right now is no good because the dollars is declining. You might save money now for it to only have half the value in the next year. Invest your money in the future things. Even if you dont have much, dont leave it sitting in a saving or money market account. The dollars will continue to decline as long as we keep having the fuel problem, the rest of the world is just a worried about it. Many countrys rely on The US, china may own us but without us they would not be and econimic force.

I think this will turn around but there will be a period this will hurt most. Its will be a short period about six months after the new president takes office. Historically if you look at the election years past the same trend has happened. Maybe just not a rough and not with the current gas issue.

Cananda is doing ok, Mexico is doing ok. Makes you wonder about our leaders.

The Mexican president used to reside in Tucson Arizona. I wonder why he moved back to Mexico?