Sign in to follow this  
Apple Roof Cleaning

Using God To Get Business ?

Question

Back when I was new at this, I worked out a trade.

I cleaned a mans roof who owned a small Christian Newspaper serving the Tampa Bay area.

I traded my work for advertising.

It was just a little newspaper, dropped off at restaurants, laundry mats, etc, etc.

Suprisingly, I got LOTS of work out of it.

Here is another, full blown Yellow Pages aimed right at Christians shepherdsguide.com - Christian Business Directory - Christian Yellow Pages

This might work for some of you just starting out, and needing low cost advertising maybe ?

15 answers to this question

It might work, and I know many non-Christian companies are in the Christian directories, but I find it unethical for a business owner to advertise in this manner if he is not a Christian.

Christians (like myself) use those directories to find other Christians to do the work. Part of it is helping out a fellow Christian and the other part is thinking that surely a Christian won't cheat me. Unfortunately, not all Christians live up to God's word and not all those that are listed in the Christian directories are Christian.

I cleaned a mans roof who owned a small Christian Newspaper serving the Tampa Bay area.

It was just a little newspaper, dropped off at restaurants, laundry mats, etc, etc.

Here is another, full blown Yellow Pages aimed right at Christians shepherdsguide.com - Christian Business Directory - Christian Yellow Pages

This might work for some of you just starting out, and needing low cost advertising maybe ?

I am absolutely opposed to using religion as a trading card. I don't even do work for people in the congregation that I attend generally. IF I do, it is always just enough to cover fuel and expenses. I make it clear that is all I am charging them for, make sure I avoid any future similar work.

I am like Scott and do not use the religous card to get work. If in a professional conversation religion comes up and we happen to be of the same faith I let them decide to use us based on our comapany not my religion.

I never do work for my ward members (well I did once) and often recommend them to other people I know.

Mr. Apply in Polk county they do the same thing. Sorry if you have to use those things to get business then what other thing will you do to get. I say let faith come from the heart not the sleave.

I used to be a locksmith and another company in the area had in big letters on his van "Jesus holds the key". I never understood what he ment by that. Was he calling himself Jesus? Anyway, I thought it was tacky.

I thought you said those kind of folks were desperate mofos?

It might work, and I know many non-Christian companies are in the Christian directories, but I find it unethical for a business owner to advertise in this manner if he is not a Christian.

Christians (like myself) use those directories to find other Christians to do the work. Part of it is helping out a fellow Christian and the other part is thinking that surely a Christian won't cheat me. Unfortunately, not all Christians live up to God's word and not all those that are listed in the Christian directories are Christian.

Maybe they're looking for Christian customers for one reason or another? As long as they don't portray themselves as Christians, I don't see the harm.

I am absolutely opposed to using religion as a trading card. I don't even do work for people in the congregation that I attend generally. IF I do, it is always just enough to cover fuel and expenses. I make it clear that is all I am charging them for, make sure I avoid any future similar work.

I do the same...There are a couple people in our church that I'll do work for, because they understand it is a business arrangement, and they are businessmen too. For the most part, I won't do work for people in our church..too close to home, and you're left feeling like you should give them a break because they "know" you. I don't mind doing it for free if someone needs some help. I've done that a few times.

There is a transportation company around me with the acronym G.O.D. Guaranteed overnight delivery. I's all over their trucks...

Most of my clients are Jewish or they where when I was strictly doing window cleaning and a good portion is now. I was also approached by one of my clients to do some advertising in one of there newsletters because I had a great reputation amongst the population. $$$$