Sign in to follow this  
Don Phelps

Any Smokers Out There?

Question

We have a new smoker sitting on the deck in the backyard and I'm itching to try it out, but we've always grilled.

Anybody got any advice or good recipes to share? Gonna do some ribs for sure and maybe a beef brisket sometime soon.

31 answers to this question

We don't have a smoker, but I have a smoker box I use on the grill. I'm no help - half the time I use hickory, the other half mesquite.

These guys win lots of competitions - have seen them on the food channel. Seafood & Barbeque Rubs and Seasonings Source - Butt Rub.com

This one looked good too - but didn't surf it too much. Smoker Cooking...The Complete Smoke Cooking Reference

Bon apetit!

Beth

Mesquite,hickory,and pecan chunks will be your best bet . first start off by getting a bucket throw some chunks in there fill with water,let soak for a few hours .Then you can start the fire with charcoal or the wood you are somkin with.when the coals are ready throw some wet chunks in the fire box and the smoke will start to cook the meat.try to keep the heat at 250-300 for ribs it will take about 3hrs or so. but the ribs will fall off the bone.

I use mesquite brickets and my own hand rub. It always gets rave reviews. I have done some pork loins for pulled pork, baby backs, brisket and tenderloin. They all came out great. I am real archaic how I smoke stuff. I use a stack to start the briquettes, get em good and going, dump them in teh fire box, and then put more briquets on top. Leave it in as long as I want, usually at least 6 hours, and then pull what ever out. Comes out perfect.

I smoke 2 packs of Kool Milds a day. Could this actually **** off the Libs? Hope so.

Smoked fish is the best. Use to shad fish in the spring prior to the wood business and would smoke a few for treats. Even East coast Altantic small bluefish taste good when smoked.

Hmmm. North Atlantic smoked salmon is called "Locks" in this part of the US. Now about $25 a lb. for decent quality, maybe $40 for better fresh and cured.

I use mesquite brickets and my own hand rub. It always gets rave reviews. I have done some pork loins for pulled pork, baby backs, brisket and tenderloin. They all came out great. I am real archaic how I smoke stuff. I use a stack to start the briquettes, get em good and going, dump them in teh fire box, and then put more briquets on top. Leave it in as long as I want, usually at least 6 hours, and then pull what ever out. Comes out perfect.

BBQ Party as Scott's!!!!!!! :seeya:

Beth

Let me know when you are coming. If there is enough demand, maybe I can cook something up for the Phoenix roundtable. I am usually pretty good for up to about 100 people with the stuff that I have.

Yep that's me, a smoking addict whether it's pork, beef, salmon, anything. My favorite now is what they call a "fatty". No, this isn't the fatty you might be used to. Basically it's a roll of jimmy dean sausage rolled out flat, filled with your favorite toppings, rolled back into a "chub" then smoked. Check out these 2 websites and you'll find more than you could ever expect. One is www.smokingmeatforums.com and the other is www.theqjoint.com . You will find me on both with the username gt2003. See if I can find a couple of pics of stuff I've smoked recently. Maybe I've got a picture of a breakfast fatty and a pizza fatty. Here ya go, the first pic is the pizza fatty, jimmy dean sausage, small amount of prego spaghetti sauce, pepperoni's and mozzarella cheese, the second is the breakfast fatty, jimmy dean hot sausage stuffed with bacon, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and onions and some shredded cheddar cheese. Hope this gives you some ideas. Visit my friends and me on the above 2 websites and see what you can teach us. Thanks for the thread. I feel at home now. Greg

Edited by gt2003

Yep that's me, a smoking addict whether it's pork, beef, salmon, anything. My favorite now is what they call a "fatty". No, this isn't the fatty you might be used to. Basically it's a roll of jimmy dean sausage rolled out flat, filled with your favorite toppings, rolled back into a "chub" then smoked. Check out these 2 websites and you'll find more than you could ever expect. One is www.smokingmeatforums.com and the other is www.theqjoint.com . You will find me on both with the username gt2003. See if I can find a couple of pics of stuff I've smoked recently. Maybe I've got a picture of a breakfast fatty and a pizza fatty. Here ya go, the first pic is the pizza fatty, jimmy dean sausage, small amount of prego spaghetti sauce, pepperoni's and mozzarella cheese, the second is the breakfast fatty, jimmy dean hot sausage stuffed with bacon, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes and onions and some shredded cheddar cheese. Hope this gives you some ideas. Visit my friends and me on the above 2 websites and see what you can teach us. Thanks for the thread. I feel at home now. Greg

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks for all the previous replies folks, but this one has got the good stuff.

I mentioned this earlier today on PT State, but one of these boards should consider having a forum about grilling/smoking (or cooking in general) for those that get into it. Food is a great common bond that we all share.

There's a grilling forum?!?!?! Wooohoo! I am soooo there!

Beth

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks for all the previous replies folks, but this one has got the good stuff.

I mentioned this earlier today on PT State, but one of these boards should consider having a forum about grilling/smoking (or cooking in general) for those that get into it. Food is a great common bond that we all share.

Common bond my eye! Smoking meat is the wrong way to cook! All meats should be boiled or eaten raw!

Smoking is dangerous and unhealthy. Witness this Google search: smoking's effects - Google Search

All right-thinking folk like their meat like Frank Drummond: Mighty hot, and mighty wet!

:lolsign::lolsign::lolsign::lolsign:

(Sorry everybody, sometimes I'm an imp!)

Put the prime rib on about 11am central time. It's a 12.5 lb prime rib rubbed with Lawry's coarse ground garlic salt with parsley then sprinkled with coarse ground black pepper. I will smoke it at around 300 degress (only since its such a tender piece of meat, usually 250 for ribs, brisket etc) with hickory wood until the internal temp is around 130. I'll pull it off the smoker, let it rest and slice. More pics to follow, a.k.a q-view.

I like to smoke hams around the holidays. I started out smoking a ham just for our family dinner, but now every one wants one to take home so I end up doing five or six at a time.

I start out with a 10~12 lb. Boston Butt. Then I prepare a dry rub of torbino sugar, course back pepper, a little cyann pepper and a little dried musturd. I then place the ham on a large sheet of aluminum foil (enough to wrap the ham with no seems). I coat the dry rub onto the ham and fold the foil up over and around the ham. Then just before sealing the ham tight in the foil I pour about a half a cup of coke down beside the ham into the bottom of the foil. I close the foil up tight and put the ham in the smoker.

Since smokers cook with such low heat you can't hardly over cook anything so I usually put the hams on late at night and go to bed. The next morning I get up and remove the foil as the hams have actually been steamed and are so tender they will practically fall apart. Then I lay the water soaked wood chips in the smoker and cook the hams uncovered for about another hour and a half.

That last cooking uncovered in the heavy smoke firms back up and puts a nice glaze on the outside of the hams, but the ham inside will be one of the most tender and juicy hams you have ever tasted.