Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

dirt bikes

Question

I am thinking it would be fun for the family and I to get some. Question is I need to pick a brand before I start shopping. They all seem the same to me.

When it comes to trucks I say Ford all the way, but am not sure what bike.

So far, I feel it will be Honda or Yamaha, not fond of Yellow or Green so Suzuki and Kawasaki have been terminated, love Orange but KTM is a bit pricey all at once.

31 answers to this question

Are you looking at 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I have always loved hondas. They are all pretty much close in durability. I have owned several 2 stroke hondas from the ole Elsinores to cr250 to cr500. They are all good bikes just be sure your insurance is paid up lol

I am thinking it would be fun for the family and I to get some. Question is I need to pick a brand before I start shopping. They all seem the same to me.

When it comes to trucks I say Ford all the way, but am not sure what bike.

So far, I feel it will be Honda or Yamaha, not fond of Yellow or Green so Suzuki and Kawasaki have been terminated, love Orange but KTM is a bit pricey all at once.

WTH does color have to do with quality? :lgwave:

All 4 are good but it depends on what they'll be used for, much like trucks.

Good thing your customers don't base their buying decisions on color as well. Copper and silver wouldn't be good for you.

:lgbonk:

Just slap some "Diesel Powerstroke" stickers on whatever you buy and you'll be happy!

Edited by Don Phelps

Honda and Suzuki are my fav.. I've owned all 4 brands over the past 25 years of riding and Suzuki is probably my 1st choice. I have an 05' RMZ450 4 Stroke right now.

post-1818-137772211183_thumb.jpg

But for real power how about a 650 Triumph on a Rickman chassis.

I like the way you think.

When I was a kid, my dad motocrossed on Bultaco Persangs and later had the first YZ-125 uncrated in the midwest (this side of rockies and Mississippi).

FWIW, there are few things to worry about from any of the big manyfacturers these days, but KTM is the shizzy they say.

Alan, are you thinking motocrossers, or trailbikes? For a family ride a torquey trailer might be better than a peaky motocrosser, especially if you might be out when the sun has set. In mountains and woods, lights are a plus.

I'm just saying.

Ktm overpriced and it said not great on track due to suspension. For dirt track Honda and Suzuki have been the best overall performers. If buying a dirtbike it hard to beat a CRF, XR, DRZ, or RMZ.

Just watch motocross racing. Yea they win all souped up of course but Honda's stock form is often commented on also as being the best around. Some bikes just feel better or have better balance or fit more people I'de say...On street bikes I liked both Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Am an offroading dualsport kinda guy so I have my eye on either a DRZ400S or an XR650L.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

We've been racin bikes for the past 25 years. They are all good. Just dont get a four stroke if you dont have a lot of money to spend working on them all the time.

I want Green sticker bikes, and I am led to believe that 2 strokes are not. I am looking for trail bikes vs race bikes and Don color is everything.

If you were truly concerned about being green, you would drive a green donkey named Ford.

:lgwave:

Are your pressure cleaning motors (green sticker motors). I will answer that for you NOPE. I am waiting on the electric version motorcross bikes. They will be here soon enough.

yea if I recall ya can't ride some places without proper sticker.

ps-

Here is info from DMV: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

Sorta too confusing but here is one resource dated a couple year back that attempts to explain it:

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=304163

Green stickers are issued for all California OHVs year model 2002 and older, including those that were previously issued a red sticker, and to 2003 and newer complying vehicles. Green stickers are issued to OHVs for year round use at all California OHV riding areas.

Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. If your OHV has a "3" or "C" in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) then your vehicle will be issued a red sticker. Red stickers are issued to OHVs that can use California OHV riding areas for seasonal use only.

Edited by One Tough Pressure

yea it can stink at times... I have seen hundreds if not thousands of sq. mi. closed down to OHV on national forest or BLM over the years. Mostly due to lack of respect and damage to a small portion of an area usually near camp grounds or rec areas. Then we got this bs situaton where tree growers work their way via red tape into the ability to put gates across fireroads on our lands. Irritates me to no end that I can't get into hundreds of miles of hunting area up north of me that I hunted for decades for no valid reasoning.....arghhhhh!

It really depends on what terrain your riding, and your experience. Have you looked at quads? I rode dirt bikes for many years, just trail riding, no comp. Since Im old and fat now I can ride a quad all day, and not be tired. The new Raptor 700 has tons of power, and a cushy ride. Also its a buyers market right now, lowball em and see what happens. As far as brand, green and yellow are the same bike, red and blue have differences, but all are dependable, easy to ride, and have close to the same power.

I like how they've taken their stock colors and changed them. Like Yellow has a black or a blue.

I do take issue that Red has no dualsport offering between a 230 and 650. One too weak... the other probably not nible enough if not too heavy.

Ran up on a 230 getting ready to leave a parking lot with a small guy on it just yesterday and the main plus I noticed for my application was that I could hardly hear it. When I get another bike I am putting a scabbard on it..:)