Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2009 Sealer Poll

What sealer(s) are you using in 2009?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What sealer(s) are you using in 2009?

• Flood
    • Sikkens
    • Olympic
    • Behr
    • Cabot's
    • Armstrong Clark
    • Ready Seal
    • ESI (any product, WT, WR, TO)
    • Wolman
    • Sherwin Williams
    • ABR
    • Defy
    • TWP
    • Wood Defender
    • Baker's
    • Penofin
    • Messmers
    • Something else - not listed, will share in thread...
    • Wood Care Pros (Wood Medic)

Question

It's that time of year again folks, time to reflect on the season behind us, and make changes for the new year. Having said that, I think it is safe to say we have all been yearning for an oil ever since the VOC laws changed in 2005. Gone are the sealers of old, we are faced with all sorts of things, hybrids, tough strips and the like. So....what's YOUR sealer of choice for 2009?

It's multiple choice. :banana: Don't forget to vote! :dancing:

Beth :sunshine: :groovy3: :cup:

Edited by Beth n Rod
fixed smilie

49 answers to this question

TWP, I have tried alot of different stuff and have not had the results that I like in a sealer, OPW has all the choices, gave them a shot, and in my personal opinion, I stick with what works. Sometimes, I think sealers work different in other parts of the U.S.??, but just an observation.

You're using 100 series where you're at? Have tried 500 series?

Sometimes, I think sealers work different in other parts of the U.S.??, but just an observation.[/quote

I believe that also. I think there are only a couple of sealers that are fairly consistent with theyre performance nationwide.

Here in Ca. most decks are Redwood, With the same procedures, Chems.& Sealers on a variety of decks, sometimes the results are alarming to me. Good & not so good to me. The customers are satisfied though. Thats the main thing.

All the feedback is helpful. I've done some decks part-time for several years and have put in a bid for a condo association for this summer. TWP 100 has been my staple after stripping Behr (no doubt you guys dropped it long ago), Flood, and Sikkens (I think). I read somewhere that RS wasn't as good in the north, so I never tried it. I like the Cabot solid color acrylic, but it needs a primer. We're not forced to low VOC yet in MI. I've talked to the State. They don't know if or when we'll see tighter regs. But all considered, I give it 3 years. I want to get into a maintenance routine with the condos. I've been looking into SW, TWP 500, Cabot, and just learned about AC from Beth's site. Does anyone have experience with it in northern climates (ice-snow-slush belt). Michigan has a tough freeze-thaw cycle. What's it's wear expectancy on verticals vs horizontals? Can the product on horizontals be refreshed after a couple seasons of wear with a good cleaning or mild strip to restore porosity? I also have a job with a set-in hot tub. Would AC be a good choice here too given constant water splash? Would it be slippery? Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

Alpha Property Services

Edited by DRobb
Should add - decks are all cedar

Tried alot of Wood-Tux and Ready seal up here two tears ago. Seemed to have better protection from mold and drying out with the Ready Seal.

Probably be using the Ready Seal, Sikkins and cwf uv5.

Has anybody used Ready Seal on Trex? Got a big deck part cedar and part Trex to bid. Seems like it would be easiest to stain everything with Ready Seal.

THANKS

Well I suspect my choice stain for 09' will mainly be the AC..

Besides it's good looks and durability (which seems to be playing out as fact rather than fiction), I'de say nothing beats it's combination of one coat application and ease of use. Stuff goes on great and yer done!

I also really love the sample sticks on the chain.. Stuff about sells itself when customer can hold the sample in their own hand.

Here's thread that showcases an article on the product and links to the Armstrong-Clark site: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/16135-best-dressed-wood-stain-manufacture-award-goes-jake-clark.html

" Todd,

I've used Ready Seal on Trex. It applied well, but dried lighter than expected "

Well, the stuff I want to stain is already redwood color. So if it keeps the black mold spots down and provides some UV, I think the customer will be happy. Any reports on the durability?

THANKS

I used RS on Trex once & it turned dark pretty quick, maybe the trex wasnt dried out enough, the sealer was too "live" & all the dirt stuck to it. I just started using a lite coat of Wood Tux on trex when needed so you get a good positive dry, seems to work better. Dirt rinses off better. Just my experience. I just remembered I used Omax waterbase toner on a natural Trex once & that worked well also. Did a maintenance wash on all of the above in approx 1 year after application.

Edited by acegot
added info

I did a test board this week. It did stay pretty oily. We'll have to put it to the ole' time test.

So how did the sealers hold up after the year and maintainence cleaning?

Edited by calltodd

The Omax & the WTW were pretty equal as far as appearance, looked good after washed dried, you could definitely tell there was still protection. The RS after washed & dried looked pretty dry like it washed off. Wouldnt use it again & havent since. I use Napier "Simple Wash" mostly on my annual cleanings. I like it. Its a pretty mild soap w/phosphoric acid, so it brightens some to.

Edited by acegot

Wolmans taste' better with bourbon. ;)

Adrian,

Back in the Dark Ages, circa 2001, Wolman's and their certified contractor program gave a lot of us a head start in the exterior wood business. Their F&P linseed oil stain was decent, These were the days when I had to order a PTL shipment of 80 gals. or more of RS, and unload it at some warehouse.

I thank the lucky stars when Tom Vogel of ACR Products went into business, and for the first year or so, would actually deliver RS stain to my door step himself!

Times have changed. Have see a few "gee wiz" stains come and go. We now get 30 gal. min. orders of RS on the door step within 24 hours of a call without UPS charges. I think Pete Marentay of Sunbrite offers the same deal, but UPS shipment times are subject to service areas.

Edited by RPetry

Done with Ready Seal..except for past customers that need a reseal.

I've been using Pittsburgh Paints the last two years and have been extremely happy with it. Yes its a Linseed oil based stain but A) I have not had any mold issues with it and B) Even though its a "film-former", the product holds up very well with minimal scuffing over a two year period and I live in an area that sees very harsh winters. The biggest downside is that, unlike RS, you do have to do a full strip before reapplying BUT this stuff strips off like butter with dilluted strippers. Lastly, I get it from my local P-Paints store for around $18 a gal.

I was amazed to see this post as I used PPG toners for years (because it was cheap and local and had 3 year warranty) then switched to RS this spring. I will never use PPG again except for maintaining past jobs. It is so difficult to get a good looking job without lap marks and you cannot get good results applying film-formers like PPG in mid-day sun. RS is a contractors dream and for the extra couple bucks a gallon, it saves you $$ in many other ways. I got more referral jobs since using RS for one season than all the years I used PPG. In my area, I have been competing against guys that were using RS and now I know why they are......more than that........the folks at RS and Sunbrite have been great to work with.....gotta have that customer service. The boys at PPG were clueless.....just bucket pushers......

Is PPG still working well for you?

I need some help. We don't typicaly do wood work. We have a client who wants their deck pressure washed and sealed (with a clear seal). It is a relatively small deck but we don't even know where to start with pricing and what to use. We do more building work so just havent had much experince with this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I need to get her an esimate this afternoon, so I very much appreciate anyones help on this!!! Thank you!!!

topgunpressurewashing@yahoo.com

I wonder What sealer your using today four years later almost

It's that time of year again folks, time to reflect on the season behind us, and make changes for the new year. Having said that, I think it is safe to say we have all been yearning for an oil ever since the VOC laws changed in 2005. Gone are the sealers of old, we are faced with all sorts of things, hybrids, tough strips and the like. So....what's YOUR sealer of choice for 2009?

It's multiple choice. :banana: Don't forget to vote! :dancing:

Beth :sunshine: :groovy3: :cup:

I wonder What sealer your using today four years later almost

And now two years after that.  I am bringing it up now because PPG has bought out AkzoNobel/Flood and has ceased production on the CWF UV-5 which I have been using with much success. I am now in the hunt for a new product AGAIN.

I see now that PPG is becoming a monopoly with what they own such as Olympic Paints & Stains, Glidden, AkzoNobel/Flood, Sikkens Devoe, and Dulux.  PPG already had the Lucite, PPG Porter and Pittsburgh Paints brands and have now positioned themselves as the number 2 producer of paints and sealer behind number 1 in the field Sherwin Williams.

I am in the Cleveland area and am researching to see what others are currently using.

Uncle Barnaby's Deck Restoration.
216-376-DECK (3325)