Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Who has a copy of the yellow pages?

Do you have a copy of Idearc's yellow pages in your home?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a copy of Idearc's yellow pages in your home?

• Yes, I am adamant about keeping a copy
    • No, I always throw that book out

We keep the books we get for a year and then recycle them. Sometimes they do get used to look something up. The nice thing about the phone book is it has a longer shelf life than a newspaper ad does, although both work very well.

Beth

It goes in the recycle bin, or gets used for fire starting out back

My opinion is this is the fate of most yellow page books - I think most contractors tend to keep them only because their ad is in them. I wonder what this poll would look like if we asked homeowners.

I find a much better selection of local business listings in the book. I just got Verizon's and was happy to see it. I know what ads cost and I know there aren't many fly-by-nighters in the phone book. Actually many of my customers (business owners) have told me they keep books that are a couple years old as an instant determination to tell if a business has been around.

I've been out of the Yellow Pages now for over 2 yrs and I still do alot of repeats from people who originally called me out of the book. Funny thing is that I got a call 2 weeks ago from a guy wanting his Tile Roof Cleaned in Tarpon Springs. When I asked him how he had gotten my # he said out of the yellow pages. Some people keep those old books for awile.

The phone book is a valuable resource book. You can find customers, suppliers and your competitors in the phone book. I have about a dozen in my office and 6 in my Sprinter. I get extra phone books, and put them in the vehicles. One of my techs did not understand why he should have phone books and I could not properly explain to him why a phone book was just another service manual. One day he called and asked me to look up a phone number. I refused and remineded him that he had told me he had no need of a phone book. I dd not have the time to look up a phone number. I also told him to go the closest motel and ask them for a phone book. He still does not understand like any dated material, phone books need to be replaced.

Yellow pages are good depending were you live. Take florida home mostly elderly people, they more likely use the yellow pages then the internet to find what they need done. take NY city or miamia were mostly those ereas pple on the go some much that they would have internet setup on the cell phone would do internet search what they need done.

I quit the AT&T Yellow Pages and now just list in the primary competition -- The Complete Phone Book. More people in this county use this book but I still only get maybe 6-8 calls a year from it. Just got a call from a PM in Ponte Vedra that found me in the book as he needs an estimate for cleaning 15 condo buildings. So I do seem to get my $700 back for the quarter page ad.

We recycle them as soon as they arrive. I have to admit I am a little bit surprised whenever we get an inquiry from "the yellow pages." We have reduced our ad to the minimum chargeable size (we pay to have our website instead of our street address). A few years ago we ran a quarter page ad. I think the only reason many small business owners still have yellow page ads is because they are afraid of what they might miss if they pulled it.