Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Armstrong Clark and TheSealerStore Contest!

Question

Here's the Rules!:

*Post a picture of your Armstrong Clark Wood or Deck Restoration Project. Must be a New Picture from 2009 that has never been posted.

*Contractors Only!

*You can only enter one picture.

*Deadline for entering contest is Sunday May 31st

*When done I will post a poll with all contestants pictures! The winner will be voted from your peers and you cannot vote for yourself!

*This contest is also on PT State. You can enter both contests to increase you chances of winning but you cannot win both.

What you will Win!:

*2 Pails of Armstrong Clark Wood Stain

*One Speed Mop Kit

*Wooster Bucket

*Wooster 6" Bravo Stainer

*TheSealerStore Golf Shirt, Hat, and Sweatshirt

*Free Web Hosting for a Current or New Website on our server for 1 year (I will install Joomla or Wordpress for Free)

This is worth over $500!

Please post your pictures below in this thread with your name as well.

Scott

Edited by Scott Paul

71 answers to this question

Just a suggestion - or a thought. I would consider a type of contest for each quarter or even monthly and instead of coughing up materials and other items of expense offer recognition instead. Though free stain is ALWAYS GOOD.

If Jake would set up a page on his web site to promote his contractors this would be of more value than stain and sundries. Similar to the "Homearama" or "Parade of Homes" for builders this would be a page where the manufacturer could recognize several contractors by listing them on his site. Similar to the Alan Broom pics but I would dedicate a separate link. The advantage to the contractor would be a great sales tool that we could send the prospect a link to the stain and get some brownie points, that may seem more important than it really is to the prospect, but could make a great impression. The advantage to Armstrong-Clark would be samples of there stain being used on projects all around the country. Since it would be a contest you are bound to have some of the nicer projects being shown.

Sort of an employee of the month mentality but pick three jobs/contractors and award the Gold/Silver/Bronze. This way when Celeste, Rick, or Rod throws some Purple Heart or Mahogany decks out there it wouldn't discourage low-life's like me from still posting for the Bronze. You would get more participation and it would mean long/longer term benefits for everyone all around. It could be billed as a national contest and give some PR to the contractors.

Just a thought.

On a side note: I know all of the color mixing has been somewhat of an oddity for Jake but he should take advantage of it. Promoting color mixing opens up tremendous potential and makes it possible to increase the product line without doing anything. A page with color samples from decks/projects from the contractors would be very useful to tie all of the bbs' together when searching for a color. That way if I wanted to know what Rustic Brown/Cedar Tone looks like I don't have to go looking through Jason's posts - I could stop in at the ArmClark.com and see his picture along with others on a separate page. This would also be beneficial for both contractor and manufacturer - the featured color (with contractor) would be listed, other contractors could see it without having to play chemist mixing colors, and Armstrong Clark and suppliers would benefit with more exposure and closer ties with their end users.

Edited by Tonyg

Tony,

Where have you been all these years? Truly, very good, intelligent posts. TGS needs you. Please stick around...

Edited by RPetry
idiot spelling

Just a suggestion - or a thought. I would consider a type of contest for each quarter or even monthly and instead of coughing up materials and other items of expense offer recognition instead. Though free stain is ALWAYS GOOD.

If Jake would set up a page on his web site to promote his contractors this would be of more value than stain and sundries. Similar to the "Homearama" or "Parade of Homes" for builders this would be a page where the manufacturer could recognize several contractors by listing them on his site. Similar to the Alan Broom pics but I would dedicate a separate link. The advantage to the contractor would be a great sales tool that we could send the prospect a link to the stain and get some brownie points, that may seem more important than it really is to the prospect, but could make a great impression. The advantage to Armstrong-Clark would be samples of there stain being used on projects all around the country. Since it would be a contest you are bound to have some of the nicer projects being shown.

Sort of an employee of the month mentality but pick three jobs/contractors and award the Gold/Silver/Bronze. This way when Celeste, Rick, or Rod throws some Purple Heart or Mahogany decks out there it wouldn't discourage low-life's like me from still posting for the Bronze. You would get more participation and it would mean long/longer term benefits for everyone all around. It could be billed as a national contest and give some PR to the contractors.

Just a thought.

On a side note: I know all of the color mixing has been somewhat of an oddity for Jake but he should take advantage of it. Promoting color mixing opens up tremendous potential and makes it possible to increase the product line without doing anything. A page with color samples from decks/projects from the contractors would be very useful to tie all of the bbs' together when searching for a color. That way if I wanted to know what Rustic Brown/Cedar Tone looks like I don't have to go looking through Jason's posts - I could stop in at the ArmClark.com and see his picture along with others on a separate page. This would also be beneficial for both contractor and manufacturer - the featured color (with contractor) would be listed, other contractors could see it without having to play chemist mixing colors, and Armstrong Clark and suppliers would benefit with more exposure and closer ties with their end users.

What he said! Damn good suggestion!

Beth :cup:

Just a thought.

I think these are very good ideas! I will check with Jake and see if it is feasible.

I think it"s fine for the Supplier to supply a web site so you can post photo's. I don't think a special area on the Grime Scene for AC wood be fair to all the other suppliers of products. Thats what web sites are for?

Tony,

Where have you been all these years? Truly, very good, intelligent posts. TGS needs you. Please stick around...

That's very kind of you. I'm just here to glean from this field of knowledge. I would like to be able to expand next year so it's time to work on the learning curve this year.

I think it"s fine for the Supplier to supply a web site so you can post photo's. I don't think a special area on the Grime Scene for AC wood be fair to all the other suppliers of products. Thats what web sites are for?

I agree. The goal is to have a tool for sales and that would be only accomplished with the manufacturer. I would not send a customer/prospect to a bbs or really even to the supplier. Using TGS may also show favoritism to one brand and it seems there are several contractors that are loyal to other brands. This would also be another reason AC should think serious about it because it would help them to compete better

I am going to extend this contest for a month until end of June largely due to weather issues. Also Jake and I will try to work something out based on Tony's suggestion. I will be talking to him in the next day or two and will get some details.

I apologize if this is confusing to anyone. If you have already posted some pictures and would like to change or submit a different project that will be okay.

Here is mine.

Had to rebuild the steps and rails on steps, The balustrades had two coats paint on them and the were shredded when done, but sanded easily. this has two coats of Semi-trans, cedar. Id have to say I really like this stuff. The wood really sucks it in, and no shiny areas from lack of absorbtion.

post-4622-137772246494_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772246499_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772246505_thumb.jpg

post-4622-137772246511_thumb.jpg

Jon,

Nice job! Glad to see someone else takes on the little ones. That semi trans cedar looks terrific on PTSYP. Two coats must be the key on that wood, that is the best looking AC stain picture I have seen.

Thanks, That means I win, Scott. Already got the vote.

I dont really take the little ones like this. This tiny deck took me 25-30 hrs between stripping the paint, sanding the shredded spindles and replacing the stair rails and stairs.

This was my own deck right outside my office. for a customer, I would NOT have stripped the spindles, and would have to charge a minimum of $800 to make it worth the two trips for a 4X15 deck. Plus, I am the worlds worst carpenter, at least 8 hours just to replace the wood. I measure 4 times and still have to cut twice.

I agree with Tony on Armstrong and contractors alike bennefiting from a 'Contractor Showcase' type of outlet on Armclark.com. There are some other things that I talked with Jake about concerning the site also. Unsure if anything has changed or not...

Regardless to anything of the site, color options/mixed pic availability, giveaways, etc., ......I just simply luv the stuff, it's the bomb!!

Jon,

Actually, Greg R. in the midwest has a house, if I remember correctly, in the running!

We did a cedar deck job last year with A-C rustic brown. Had a helper clean and stain an old SYP picnic table as a freebe. One coat, I think it looks great.

Here's a dock we resurfaced with new pt pine in February. We went back last week with a 50/50 mix of cedar tone and super cedar. The owner didn't really want any sealer on it, but I worked it into the total anyway. It's a vacation home and no one was around when we covertly went over and sealed it. The guy loves it.

I love the super cedar on pine.

The benches have hidden LEDs underneath and the whole stationary part of the dock glows at night. The dock is 110' long overall.

The 'before' pic just shows it after we tore off the old wood.

post-3997-137772248298_thumb.jpg

post-3997-13777224834_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rick. I really like the super cedar and the way it dwells longer on pine. I've mixed it with some others as well. Did a Rustic brn 50/50 a few weeks back. Lap marks are practically impossible. It looks almost scary red on pine until it soaks in.

Jon,

Actually, Greg R. in the midwest has a house, if I remember correctly, in the running!

We did a cedar deck job last year with A-C rustic brown. Had a helper clean and stain an old SYP picnic table as a freebe. One coat, I think it looks great.

Yes I do :D Got your message Rick - I'll give ya a call this week sometime buddy.

My Candidate for the contest. Finished with AC Cedar Toner. This was supposed to be the cedar semi but upon application the customer decided they wanted to see more of the grain and stuff. This house was a blast job with cob and crushed glass as it had permachink lifeline on it. Some areas were "layers" thick while others were next to nothing.

Just finished it up yesterday! :D

post-1818-137772249535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg R

Here is a job I did last month. As you'll see multi-level 2500 sq.ft 200 lineal ft. railing. AC cedar tone on clear heart Redwood.

Lyle,

That wood and stain color is gorgeous. Makes the redwood look almost like red mahogany.