Sign in to follow this  
RSuds

Fish Pond

Question

We did a house yesterday and it had a fish pond close to the house, we were careful not to get much chemical in it. We have done a lot of houses with ponds over the years and did not have any problems. I got a call today saying that all fish are Dead. I was shocked since I was at the job and did not get much of the house wash in the pond. I think that they had 9-10 fish and some big, it was around 100 gal. of water and I'm not sure but I will take care of it and make everyone happy. Did anyone else have this problem??

38 answers to this question

"Normal" housewash mix is not the likely culprit. Do you add wax to your mix? If you do, just a few drops will coat the gills of the fish and they suffocate. (Don't ask me how I know!)

You can sneeze at koi and they flip over and float.

What kind of fish, B?

Are they like the those goats that fall over when scared? Don't the goats eventually get up? If given time, will the fish revive?

I will find out soon?? But it looks like I'm a killer also. No wax.

Seriously, when cleaning around fish ponds, I cover them (charge extra), shut off the pump (So if anything gets in, it won't be circulated and the water can be charged.) and use nothing but chlorine (I downstream) out of a clean container. Downstreamed chlorine has never been a problem for me and fish.

We did a house yesterday and it had a fish pond close to the house, we were careful not to get much chemical in it. We have done a lot of houses with ponds over the years and did not have any problems. I got a call today saying that all fish are Dead. I was shocked since I was at the job and did not get much of the house wash in the pond. I think that they had 9-10 fish and some big, it was around 100 gal. of water and I'm not sure but I will take care of it and make everyone happy. Did anyone else have this problem??

Quite possible that even though you didn't get any direct application of chems into the pond, there is no doubt that water from the process got into it some other way perhaps by flow of the land.

take some pH test strips and check it out. The water will be +10 alkaline still if this is the case. If not, something else was the cause.

Rod!~

I've been lucky enough to not have a pond anywhere near a jobsite. Looks like the bottom line is.. Add the cost of replacing a full pond of fish into your proposal or pass on the job. I just read that even if you have some insect repellant on your hand (such as OFFâ„¢) and touch the water, you can kill the fish. That be some sensitive fishies. I can't even keep a plant for more than two weeks without killing it. I officially ban myself from ever owning or building a koi pond.

I 've done two rather extensive restorations in front of Koi ponds. With the strongest of strippers. Very nerve racking ! Company before left the site !! NO DEATHS........ Then I restored the Cedar Roof on the house and garage which are both close to the Pond. Run off from cleaning and contamination from oiling were concerns. With doing it all I said; if you want it done the Fish might DIE. No floaters........! We did a float check every AM and PM. You have to be concerned with how you cover the water also.

We've been taking care of this Ipe deck for two years now - no floaters yet due to great preparation. Nerve wracking is a perfect term for this as ONE fish in this pond costs more than the job itself!

post-7285-13777229688_thumb.jpg

Celeste,

That picture is the first ipe' "lattice" I have seen. Real nice design.

Holy smokes, $2K per fish?!!! That is insane. Doubt insurance brokers will write a job rider covering any loss. I'd have to think long and hard before taking the chance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rick - koi can get nauseatingly expensive when they get aged (kind of like good wine!) This deck is amazing - one of two we have with the ipe lattice work.....by the koi ponds. I love our ipe customers :)

Rick - koi can get nauseatingly expensive when they get aged (kind of like good wine!) This deck is amazing - one of two we have with the ipe lattice work.....by the koi ponds. I love our ipe customers :)

Celeste,

Have to agree about ipe' customers. With the constant periodic rain here this season, our ipe' jobs kept us working.

With what I have read on this thread, I do not care for koi ponds. Never had to deal with them, and hope we never do. No decorative fish is worth $2K.

Go by a few dozen feeder gold fish and throw them in. Around here that's all that you see because of the egrets and grey herons. My father has a pond about 12x10 and frequently gets emptied out by the Grey Heron looking for an easy meal.

I have two Koi ponds in my backyard. I use to go out there and feed the fish and watch them do tricks in the water like twirl around because they were excited that they were going to be fed.

So What Happens?? Within a two week span I Find about 10 koi's with there heads cut off(Raccoon attack) and other missing altogether. I have since bought an electric fence to put around the ponds but they would still need a net to go over them because of the Herring and Hawks that skydive to eats this delicacy.

So today these ponds are just filled with dirty water...next years project.

We did a roof clean this year with a fish pond.

Had the normal conversation during the sales call, "We're not doctors, but our motto is, first, do no harm".

Covered the pond with a blue tarp, then covered the plants, then bagged the downspouts.

Used copius amounts of soap to help with cling/minimize run off.

Got the roof treated, pulled back the tarps. Checked the bagged downspouts and found that the one right above the pond had overflowed.

Nice strong stream of soapy solution rolling above grade, right into the little pond. Bubbles on the surface of the pond.

My first thought, "there goes my Christmas bonus". Sweating like crazy, no floating fish visible, yet. Talked to the home owner (very nice lady).

She was cool, not flustered at all.

Then she told me that she had taken the fish out and put them in the community pond. They were getting old, and too big. She wanted them to live out their last days with plenty of room to swim and be free.

"Thank you Jesus". Yes, I said it out loud. And meant it.

She was waiting until we finished cleaning the roof and then she was

going to clean the pond and get some new fish.

She wrote the check and had the pond empty and the scrub brush out before we could finish packing up.

Some days, living right really does pay off.

And I never did ask what kind of fish they were. For all I know, they weren't even the expensive ones.

post-4439-137772296887_thumb.jpg