Sign in to follow this  
ValleyPressureWashing

Almost finished and BAM!!!!

Question

I was finishing up a house wash this afternoon. I only had about 15 minutes left when I heard a loud noise. I looked around the side of the house and saw my truck rolling forward and hit an explorer that was parked 6 feet in front of it. Some woman had just run into my parked truck because she wasn't paying attention. I'm assuming she was texting. After they pulled her car away from my truck, I was able to get my pump started again and finish the job. I guess I should be glad I wasn't rolling up my hose when she decided to slam into my truck.

post-5583-137772318327_thumb.jpg

post-5583-137772318409_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

I dont know what the laws are for residential stuff in Virginia buy in my oponion you should have had orange cones behind, beside and in front of the truck. Spaced properly she would have hit a couple way before the truck and the accident would never have happened.

Russ,

I had an orange cone set out on the back left side of the truck and she took it out but to hear this lady tell her story, the car somehow turned right and ran into my truck. I'm sure she was texting and not paying attention because she didn't apply her brakes. I guess I might buy some extra cones after I replace the one she took out, just to protect myself and do what the cox communication people do and put them all around their vans when they park.

Sucks cause I just bought the truck in August.

Russ,

I had an orange cone set out on the back left side of the truck and she took it out but to hear this lady tell her story, the car somehow turned right and ran into my truck. I'm sure she was texting and not paying attention because she didn't apply her brakes. I guess I might buy some extra cones after I replace the one she took out, just to protect myself and do what the cox communication people do and put them all around their vans when they park.

Sucks cause I just bought the truck in August.

Todd,

That is a bad deal. Texting SUX and people who text and drive should be dealt with on a very extreme level.

You are lucky you were away from the truck.

Suggestion:

I always collect cones from the side of the road or highway if they are obviously stray cones. I have a ton of them and I use them always. Alot more than one cone though. Many, like 5 for a resi setup. I make sure they see my gear and cones.

It cost' my company nothing to pick up stray cones, and the money it saves and protection ( visual) it allows is priceless.

Yep, I'm cheap, I pick them up off of the street. But it is worth it in the long run.

I put them accroos the front and back and then I space four or five in a straight line 10 feet or so apart going up and down the road so if something like this happens they have at least 40 to 50 feet of stopping room after they hit the first cone.

Edited by Russ Spence

The laws for cone set up are pretty specific, and they are federal laws. It requires a minimum of three cones, spaced at the speed of traffic. So at 25 mph ypu need to spcae the cones in a taper at 25 feet a part. That way at 75 feet they are starting to pull over. If it is 45 mph they have 135 feet to pull over. I would also place them at the side of the truck, but you do not want them so far out you shut down a lane because you could run jnto trouble with local laws.

The laws for cone set up are pretty specific, and they are federal laws. It requires a minimum of three cones, spaced at the speed of traffic. So at 25 mph ypu need to spcae the cones in a taper at 25 feet a part. That way at 75 feet they are starting to pull over. If it is 45 mph they have 135 feet to pull over. I would also place them at the side of the truck, but you do not want them so far out you shut down a lane because you could run jnto trouble with local laws.

THats good Info, thats why I dont do residential. Private property we dont need to get all silly. We still have idiots run into us but we just beat them and send them one there way.

Russ you should tell the caustic story at the gas station. Gas stations are fun around bar closing time.

Seriously good luck with the truck and glad your ok. Imagine you between the car and truck. OUCH!!!

Scott,

Do you have a link to this federal law? The only reason I ask is that it would be good information to have. I never see any guys around here having cones behind their vehicles, much less when they have a trailer hooked up.

Russ,

The way this street runs, I don't think extra cones would have helped because the road bears to the left so she hit the only cone that she could've even if I had extra cones out. Oh well, so is life.

I freak out on my guys if they don't have a lot of cones out, wherever they are, even in a closed condo community. They are a lot better now, I think they got sick of me bit*hing them out. I have cones around trucks, whereever a hose crosses a walkway, I have them in communities if a hose is crossing a parking lot to slow cars down. Cones cones and more cones, it takes seconds to put out, but a bunch of bright orange cones will be noticed usually by all

SAFETY FIRST

FYI.....Hey I just got these really great safety caps, baseball caps. Safety Green/Yellow with reflective areas on the hats too, with company embroidered logo. They are bright. Queensboro has them, I think they are a great addition to the safety factor, all my guys now where them and my foremen where the orange ones

Really you might all want to check them out on the Queensboro site Hats and Visors scroll down and you will see the caps. I bought 30 of them. Something GREAT about them, BLEACH DOES NOT EAT THEM UP, how cool is that. Check it out. NO bleach stains on hat and logo looks great. Great for under $10, they had a sale and they were like $7.97

post-23-137772318537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff

Dude,

Why would you let your truck jump in front of that nice lady?

Cones only help so much. At least you can rent a uHaul Pick up and put your stuff in while the truck is fixed. But try finding a rental to tow your trailer with if you had one.