Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Winter activity-whats yours?

Question

Just thought I would pop a question to see what life is like for other woodies this time of year.

-Got anything going?

-Cabin fever yet?

-Remodeling anything?

-How fat have you gotten?

-Sick of the weather channel yet?

Rod!~

63 answers to this question

Studying ancient wood preservation , Cross country skiing,Mi 5 tv show and BBC mini series, redoing windows in house (putty) haven't done yet. Saw a couple of Broadway type shows and a few more to come. Getting a bit tired of the weather now getting an ice storm on top of snow. Melting tomorrow and no place for water to go and more snow friday.

Project list is ridiculous but I have seemed to have mastered going around in circles :)

We have kitchen renovation going on but the new floor developments coupled with some very cold temperatures have pushed finishing that project in the spring.

We also have a couple of painting projects in the house that are being worked on....sort of, a little bit.

Basement. Ours is the basement. It was the basement from hell, but it is going to be wonderful when we are done.

OLD basement.....

1. nasty drop ceiling with those oh so tasteful white acoustic tiles

2. that flimsy wood paneling wannabe stuff, in a dark enough brown to make the walls shrink

3. stunning fluorescent lighting fixtures

4. a cobbled together book case with boxy shelves of no particular height that did not adjust and were painted brick red

5. and of course, 20+ year old carpeting

NEW basement will have....

1. DRYWALL ceiling.... (it will be higher because the drop ceiling lost us several inches)

2. ....with recessed lighting and accents lights, all on dimmer switches

3. Drywall on walls, painted a very light color

4. radiant heating under.....

5. ...new laminate flooring (also very light, bamboo)

6. custom storage of book shelves and cabinets on 3 walls (buying them unfinished, and finishing them ourselves due to lack of time to do it all by hand)

Beth

Jeez...Lets see.

We are still working on the 40 degree days.

We are working on other jobs on the other days.

We have revamped our whole business model.

We have a ton of new marketing going out.

We have a few NEW books to read this winter.

We are setting up our trailer units to be more productive.

We are buying a new truck and trailer for the coming year.

We have remodeled the office.

We have three rooms to paint.

and MOST importantly...

We are expecting (and preparing) for a new lil girl on April 25th

Restoring antique radios, the wooden ones from the 40s. Lately it seems like my favorite activity is plowing snow. It would be nice if we had a little break from the snow.

Watching too much tv for one.... Designing postcards and proposal folders, going overboard on the 1 or 2 estimates Ive been getting, filling out an information sheet on all past customer for easier reference, and getting bank statements entered in for tax time.

Working at gearing up for next year, reading, surfing the web, finishing the inside of my shop, and building an office in the shop.

Hey lets see some of those radios!!

A past time hobby for me is playing with old transmitters, like cb radios and ham radios. Got a bunch of friends around that I talk to.

I'll send some pictures of finished radios and works in progress tomorrow. Until then I found something to give the little kids nightmares...Dora the Horror.

post-2213-13777236707_thumb.jpg

Sold off two trucks and soon to be purchasing another.Sold/Selling Some Powerwashing equipment including a trailer. Finished wiring up and connecting flat screen TV's in my kids rooms(Santa bought these TV's @ 3am from the internet on black Friday for a steal). Doing an occasional Commercial job when the weather breaks(This January maybe the first time in at least 12 years if not more that we may not powerwash at all during a Month in the calendar year). Painting around the house as usual & still hitting the restaurants a couple of times a week with & sometimes without the kids:cheers:

Took a couple weeks off while updating my equipment with new pump, K-7 unloader, belts, inlet water hose and tank dump valve. Other that that, this is Florida and we work all 12 months. Just finished up a high school and a few houses with my new setup. Have an elementary school and a condo complex starting next week.

Working at gearing up for next year, reading, surfing the web, finishing the inside of my shop, and building an office in the shop.

Hey lets see some of those radios!!

A past time hobby for me is playing with old transmitters, like cb radios and ham radios. Got a bunch of friends around that I talk to.

One of my hobbies too. I have three Yaesus, two hh vhf and uhf 5W and a base/mobile 50W uhf. A fun hobby.

Okay, finally got a few pictures together. This is my oldest radio, an Atwater-Kent Model 46 made in 1929. It is in its original unrestored condition and still works fine. Because it is metal I'm a little timid to touch it. In fact it may decrease the value it it was worked on. I swear the speaker weighs as much as the spare tire of my truck.

post-2213-137772367115_thumb.jpg

This is a 1939 Hagenuk HA362W table model I bought in Bulgaria and restored a few years ago. A nice looking and nice working radio.

post-2213-137772367136_thumb.jpg

Another shortwave radio from Bulgaria. This one got me detained at a German airport. A customs agent spent about 15 minutes inspecting the radio and asking me questions about it. He finally asked me if I wanted to sell it to him because he collected radios too. All I have left to do is replace the speaker fabric and polish the metal. Maybe this winter.

post-2213-137772367214_thumb.jpg