Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Estimates - how do you handle them?

How do you handle estimates?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. How do you handle estimates?

• They are free, no condition, we don't care if the owner is even there. We leave it at the door.
    • They are free if you purchase the service from us, but there is a small fee if you don't.
    • They are free if the owner is present when the estimate is prepared.
    • Never give free estiamtes, we always charge for them.
    • Our estimates are given via phone, we don't visit the site.
    • They are free, but we mail them, never leave them where they could be missed or lost.

Question

With gas prices on the rise, we were wondering if the legendary "free estimate" is going to become a thing of the past...or at least change...please share your thoughts, and vote in the poll below.

Thanks!

107 answers to this question

Mike,

found a new site, check it out. It is not as great as the sites I have but this site can give some info for you. WWW.ZILLOW.COM

It will at least give you the assessed value, neighborhood and some demographics.

Cool site. I like the MS Virtual Earth pics they have. Looked my house up, and there's my truck/trailer parked out front, and this is from at least two years ago, since the lake was down.

Pics are everything. It is very tough to imagine what it can look like. Not to mention, throw in multiple peaks, dormers, etc. Hopefully technology will catch up for you. All these sites up here are fairly new, within the past year or two.

Well, it isn't the technology, it is getting a county department to totally re-vamp their systems for basically no benefit to themselves!

In most cases, I wouldn't bid jobs from a picture. Roof cleaning...how do I know how much debris is on the roof...how do I know how heavy the algae is, etc...How bad is the screen enclosure, etc. It'd be nice to see, but it isn't a huge deal.

I use a prepared quotation sheet that has minimum prices on it for roofs, flat surfaces, wooden decks, and houses. The sheet also has add-ons for various conditions like steepness of roof, landscaping, condition, etc. This allows me to get the prices up to a reasonable level without a lot of customer objections.

Estimates are free and always should be.

Free estimates always, except when the home owner states that its for an insurance claim. Not one insurance claim ever followed with a job. I learned not to waist my time anymore. I'll charge $25.00 for the estimate and unless they hire me I'll take it off the top.

I work in a pretty compact area, so fuel prices are less of a consideration for me vs. some of you guys. My estimates are always free and given in person. If someone just wants me to call them with a price, I don't need that business. They will always go with the lowest price, and I'm not even trying to be that guy.

In years past I have done a couple estimates without the homeowners present, but I don't think I ever got a job from one. From now on if they don't have time to meet with me, I don't have time to roll by to waste my time either.

I just recently got a job from an estimate I gave and I was 100.00 higher than the other guy. I bid 300.00 to his 200.00. I got the job, because the lady told me that I got there quicker than the other guy and that she just simply liked me better ( not trying to brag here ). She did show me his estimate.

So, there is value in showing up timely and with a great "can-do" attitude, and then just let the cards fall where they may. So, selling one's self is easier in person I feel.

For long distances ( outside 20 miles ), I will do it ( free estimate ) only if I'm heading that way anyway and I have a good feel for the customer. If I'm not heading that way, I will ask about the project and then give them an "estimate" over the phone.

Our estimates have and will always be free in the counties in which we service. If it comes down to a deck or fence thats outside of those counties we pass on the offer. If its a home (log or siding) outside of our normal service area we charged a $250.00 consultation fee for the estimate which we at the time called home inspection. Basically I would drive out to the house and document area of concern with photos and a report in addition to providing our estimate for repair and refinishing. I guess it made customers feel that even if they were not going to have the work done they still got something for their money cause it worked.

We dont travel those distances anymore though... Im a homebody :)

We always give free estimates and try if possible to arange a time when they can be present. I like to talk with them discuss what they want done in person. For residential clients i'm starting to give starbucks gift cards with the estimate. Havent yet but Ill see how it goes. Anyone tried anything like that? Let me know if its worth it.

Hey 4000, when I go Starbuck's. I pay for the next 10 coffee's and have them hand out my card. Upscale clients !! Has worked well. I stop at two in my area and always see my clients talking to new future client's....LOL

An old thread, but a good one.

Since this poll was published, I have started giving 90+% of my housewash estimates over the phone. I realized that I was charging based on size anyway, but a sq ft price makes it standardized. The further away, the higher the per sq ft price. As I have become busier with fewer "holes" in my schedule, my time became my most valuable asset which I could not afford to give away on estimates. So, either I had to raise prices or find more time. I've been doing it this way for about two years and it absolutely works...for me. Oh yeah, I also give roof and fence cleaning estimates the same way. (Decks usually require an in-person visit.)

Does Washing per SQFT really get the point across...I mean sometimes you are having to deal with grading issues, shrubbery, trees etc..

The short answer is yes. Some houses are dirtier and some are cleaner - they average-out. In my area, there are no (well, VERY few) grading issues.

Does Washing per SQFT really get the point across...I mean sometimes you are having to deal with grading issues, shrubbery, trees etc..

I don't know about getting a point across, but it is necessary if you want to remain in business. If you're just making up prices at each job, you'll never get the formula down for making steady profit margins. If you're just winging it for beer money, I guess that's OK, but in order to see where the break point is in your area, and to determine per-job costs and overhead, you need a baseline to go by. If you're not using a pricing guideline (such as sq.ft or linear ft.), you're doing your business a disservice, IMHO.

An old thread, but a good one.

Since this poll was published, I have started giving 90+% of my housewash estimates over the phone. I realized that I was charging based on size anyway, but a sq ft price makes it standardized. The further away, the higher the per sq ft price. As I have become busier with fewer "holes" in my schedule, my time became my most valuable asset which I could not afford to give away on estimates. So, either I had to raise prices or find more time. I've been doing it this way for about two years and it absolutely works...for me. Oh yeah, I also give roof and fence cleaning estimates the same way. (Decks usually require an in-person visit.)

I think the only thing I do different is use the city's Real Estate Assessors web page to get the actual square footage. Chesapeake and Virginia Beach has the exact square footage and VB has a floor plan drawing. After telling the HO this on the phone I then email them a formal written (copy & paste) estimate along with references, pics, etc. Although I do like to see the house and customer whenever I can because my goal is to pick up the painting or any extras but if it is just a house wash, phone & email works for me. I will say my closing with no personal visit is much lower.

Edited by Tonyg

Quotes are always free but I still have to draw a line in the sand sometimes. I had a PM get me out to look at the same hospital system project 4 times because he wanted "this and not that", or "how much for just this", "what about if we left off this" eventually I said tell us what you know you want for sure and we will get started...then we can discuss other projects. He would rush me to do the estimates and then tell me he needed weeks to discuss it....I probably wasted 10 hours total. In the end he asked me "what about for just windows", I told him to tell me what his budget was and I would tell him yes or no....probably saved myself another 5 hours of wasted time!

Daniel Simmons

Pressure Washing Cypress

All of our bids are free. We always insist on a face to face meeting, Mainly because we offer a service and the meeting gives me the opportunity to explain how we can best meet their exact needs now and in the future. After the meeting I write up a standard bid and email it (this now seems to work for about 99% of the public). We always leave a business card at the first meeting and ask them to review our website KEN FLYNN PAINTING INC Sherwood house paintingfor more info about our company and services.

Ken

I give free estimates and sometimes have to do them when no one is home but I ALWAYS give it as a call back to have convo with the HO for the oportunity to SELL the job. If you don't your giving the low baller YOUR biz. Hire a Pro NOT a Joe!

Now I use google maps for most of my estimates. If it is a simple house wash I don't even need t use that. If it is more complicated or particularly large then I will do the estimate in person as long as the HE seems like a buyer and not just a shopper. My pitch allows me to close around 80% of my leads....I use a simple close - "The total price for your project is (not would be) $$$, and I am available Tuesday morning or Thursday afternoon...which one of those works better for you?" About half the time they just choose A or B and that's that. Sometimes they will ask for a different day....no problem. Sometimes they give me an excuse...they have to talk to their spouse or they are getting more estimates or something...If I really want the jon I will just ask "Did you have another price in mind?" A lot of times they will say "well last time someone did it for $$." or "I thought it would be more like $$." Now I can explain why my service is more expensive or negotiate! or both. I their expectation is way too low I know I don't need to bother calling back!

Daniel Simmons

Houston Roof Cleaning

Sugar Land Roof Cleaning

Houston Power Washing

Just A Question? Do you think a H.O. would consider getting a estimate from someone who charges for them or go with a company that does it for free. If you charge ,it may deter the customer. I can understand charging if you have to travel. So many contractor's give free estimates. Charging may come back to bite you in the BUTT.