Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Frustrated - Venting

Question

Well, I have been looking hard, really hard, the last two months for a used hot water rig to start with this spring and have been very frustrated with the lack of equipment up for sale.

I thought I would have a bonanza based on comments made generally about the availability of used equipment, but there has been absolutely nothing avialble on the forums and ebay close to me.

Everything that has been for sale that meets what I am looking for is too far away to attempt to purchase. For instance, there are two rigs for sale on ebay now, but there both a thousand miles away. I have found this to be the case consistently.

Where are the rigs in Maryland, NJ, Va, NC, Delaware, PA or Ohio for sale?

Its starting to get close to the beginning of the season and I have all my ducks lined up, except for perhaps the most important thing.

The equipment to do jobs with.

I am starting to think I may have to put my own trailer together or just start with a cold water unit out of the back of my truck.

I do not want to spend 10-12 thousand on a new rig just starting out, so I am hoping to find a used rig in the 5 thousand dollar range.

If anyone hears of a hot water unit, on a tandem trailer in that price range, that is reasonable driving distance from Maryland, please let me know.

I thought I would have tons of used equipment to choose from, but so far that avenue has been very disappointing.

Thanks for letting me vent!

58 answers to this question

You can ask for all of the advise you want and you will get good and bad - you have to learn to disseminate the good info from the not as good, press on and make something from what you have. Pick your cheerleaders carefully and go for it.

Best of luck to you!

Celeste

Thanks Celeste, I think that's what I trying to say.

I agree, you could very well find a rig 5 states away that, even after factoring in a couple hundred dollars in travel expences, in the end, costs you less than the best deal closest to you. You yourself said it seems that no one is selling used rigs near you, well if thats the case, than in theory rigs should be selling a good bit less in other parts of the country where supply is plentyfull. Supply and demand basics: the higher the supply the less the demand, which equalls lower prices.

Unfortunately many of us newbies' don't have $36k in venture capital lying around (like you evidently had) to launch your business. For many, sound fiscal responsibility is to not go into debt. I believe it's possible to launch a competitive pressure wash business with a good clean used vehicle and pressure washer.

I don't know what all the fuss is with all the fancy equipment. I know of a gentleman very successful at this, been in the business for 13 yrs. He used to have a big trailer with w/what have you in it. Through the years he's learned to become very efficient and now operates out of a 1-ton pu. Less equip to monkey around with has meant more money for him because he's able to focus more on washing and not on equipment.

my 2 cents,

paul

I don't think anyone is suggesting Lou go out and spend $36k on a rig. Of course it is possible to start a PW company with a very low startup cost. Much of it depends on what type of work you're going to be targeting, what the local requirements are regarding reclamation, where you're located, and how you're going to be able to store the rig. If you're going to be targeting commercial work like gas stations, storefronts, banks, etc, you're going to need a hot water rig. If you're going to be doing roofs, you'll need the right setup for that. If you're going to be doing new construction, you'll need the equipment for that. If you're in an area enforcing EPA reclamation laws, you'll need some type of reclaim equipment. If you're in an area where temperatures reach and stay below freezing for extended lengths of time, you'll either need an enclosed rig or an enclosed building to store it. If security is an issue, an enclosed trailer would be more needful. If you're doing work where water isn't readily available, you'll need a water tank.

There's no way I run my business out of the back of a pickup. It wouldn't be more efficient, it would be terribly inefficient. For each job, there's a proper tool, and all those tools aren't going to fit in the bed of a pickup. I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer, and it's almost too small. COULD I get by with just a cold water washer, some hose, and a couple pails of chems in the back of my truck? Sure, but I'd not be able to do the quality of work that I currently do, and I'd be spending more time doing it. There are jobs I'd have had to turn down because I wouldn't have a way to haul water.

Your frustrations should be diminishing, as I have seen quite a few rigs posted for sale in the last week. Here's another:

**********/board/upload/showthread.php?t=5553

I checked this one. The frame has been majorly hacked up and no where near original. The control panel is laying loose. The engine fuel tank is history. (fuel was siphoned from the pu truck tank). The burner fuel tank is some sort of non OSHA approved piece. This is definetly not worth the asking price.

He has been trying to sell since September, so he may be ready to wheel and deal on that price.

I am a 23-year-old business owner who is selling my entire power washing business for personal reasons. This entire rig is just over a year old (purchased the trailer last October) and so is everything listed with the exception of the two cold-water washers (used approximately 1.5 seasons). This is everything you need to make a killing in both commercial and residential power washing. I have taken meticulous care of all of the equipment and so it is in pristine condition. I need to move this as soon as possible and the highest price offering will get it, period. I am willing to make arrangements or even deliver it myself if need be (I reside in Gaithersburg, MD). Please either call John Bradshaw (301) 213-8175 or e-mail Tsunamipowerwash@hotmail.com for pictures or to schedule an in person inspection.

$14,000 or best offer, make one I need to move it!

- Haulmark Enclosed Trailer

- 12.5' x 8'

- White

- Never Been Lettered

- Dual Axils

- Side Door

- Interior Height of Over 6'

- Farley's Intrepid III Industrial Power Washer

- 120 Hrs on Entire Machine

- Kohler 18Hp Gasoline Engine

- Farley's Heating Coils

- Beckett 12V Kerosene Heater

- Steam Capable

- TS2021 General Pump

- 5.6 GPM

- 3000 PSI

- Landa Industrial Grade Water Jet Horizontial Surface Cleaner

- 24" Diameter

- (2) Hannay Hose Reels (Life Time Warranty)

- 300' High pressure hose capacity

- Extendawand brand extension wand

- 24' Length

- (2) High Pressure Guns With Four Detetchable Lances

- 325 Gallon Water Tank

- Over 350' Total of High Pressure Hose

- Over 55 Gallons of Chemicals/Soap for Stain Stripping and Fleet Washing

- (2) Excell Brand Cold Water Power Washers (Bought at Home Depot for $1000 Each)

- 3600 PSI

- 4 GPM

- Honda 12 HP Gasoline Engine

I had read on another BBS that somone...I think Cujo....made a conditional offer for way below the asking price on Tsunami rigs. Not sure what if that meant everything or just the rig.

The point I am trying to make Lou is that you need to act fast and get on the horn when opportunitys present themselves...not saying your not ~ mind ya :) Good luck in your quest.

Hey Lou,

I'm actually going over to take a look at it on Monday myself to chat with the guy and discuss a few other things. I'll let you know what I think but let me know if you have any questions about it.

Hello Folks,

the seller is asking $14,000.

What do you think is a fair price for the setup?

Thanks

Unless there's something exceptionally special about the skid unit, I'd say it's a good bit too high. I bought a similar rig in 2002 for $7500.00. The washer was a Tuff 5.6gpm hot water skid with 140 hours on it, 7x14 enclosed Haulmark trailer in mint condition, Reelcraft hose reels, several hundred feet of pressure hose, several hundred feet of Goodyear commercial supply hose, 500 and 225 gallon tanks, 24" steel eagle, and many spare parts, wands, tips, QCs, etc.

For $14k, you can put together a heck of a brand new rig in the same sized trailer.

That is a little on the pricey end...

Mike...you got all that for 7500? That's a pretty good deal.

Yep! The machine and trailer alone were worth that, so I got all the accessories for free. Oh, and an Xjet.

My plan at the time was to get a Home Depot machine, a whirl-away surfacer, some hose and a small 6x10 open trailer. Then this deal came along and I was able to arrange a short term loan from a family member for it all and I was in business! It's been a great ride so far!

Lou for $14,000 as others said you can build one heck of a rig and that would include a reclaim system, not a cheap one at that.

Those rigs like Alan showed you are cute but my problem with them is there is NO room to carry stuff. What I would do if I had that would be to buy as large a trailer as your truck can tow and build onto it then sell the small trailer or keep it to add a small back up unit for when you are ready to have help.

I knew of a almost new rig like that the guy had for 6 month, used way under 100 hours and sold for I believe $5000 or so.

Alan knew of this guy also but that was a year ago.

Now my personal feelings on anyone selling is they should post pictures with the equipment and asking price.

To just list items and/or price is not fair, could be a junker without seeing pictures.

Lou another thing unless you know the person or someone that does consider offering to pay the local pressure washing distributor to give it a once over checkup and test, just like if you were buying a second hand car and had your mechanic checking it over first.

If the guy has nothing to hide he should be more then willing to tow it to the dealer, DO NOT TOW IT YOURSELF, he could claim you damaged something.

IF he refuses I would wonder what it is he has to hide.

Now don't let me scare you from a good deal here, just want you to know your options.

Hey Lou,

I stopped by and took a look at the rig today, he's a nice guy that's got a good reason for selling out. It has nothing to do with business or bad equipment. Give me a call tomorrow if you like and I'll answer any questions you have. Since your only about an hour away I'd suggest taking a look at it yourself if your seriously thinking about buying it.

Unless there's something exceptionally special about the skid unit, I'd say it's a good bit too high. I bought a similar rig in 2002 for $7500.00. The washer was a Tuff 5.6gpm hot water skid with 140 hours on it, 7x14 enclosed Haulmark trailer in mint condition, Reelcraft hose reels, several hundred feet of pressure hose, several hundred feet of Goodyear commercial supply hose, 500 and 225 gallon tanks, 24" steel eagle, and many spare parts, wands, tips, QCs, etc.

For $14k, you can put together a heck of a brand new rig in the same sized trailer.

Hey oneness, that is the kind of unit that I would like to find. I have found similiar setups to yours on ebay, but they are allways a thousand miles away.

I figure I can get a nice trailer, hotwater setup for around 7 grand or less, gonna keeping looking.

Thanks for the advice.

Lou