Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

extension pole

I use a 16" for the second story just fine. 24ft is too wiggly. I highly recommend going to a paint store and getting one with a hex extension and a snap lock (vs a twist). Much easier to use.

Lowes has some nice pin lock poles. I have a 12' and a 16' which handles most of what I encounter around here. I second the notion of buying ones with the pin lock, they are much easier to use, and less likely to jam up like the twist locking kind.

Barry, check in your local hardware stores paint department. The extension poles they use for paint rollers would work and I use them myself. Some of them can be a little cheap so find a good sturdy one. They are already threaded on the end and ready for a brush to screw right on.

I also made one myself from an old tree trimmer, those metal ones that you can clip down tree branches with.

One nice thing about the threaded poles in the paint department is you can walk over to the gutter department and get yourself a little gutter scooper and screw that on your extension pole for use when cleaning gutters, less ladder movement is a good thing!

Lowes has some nice pin lock poles. I have a 12' and a 16' which handles most of what I encounter around here. I second the notion of buying ones with the pin lock, they are much easier to use, and less likely to jam up like the twist locking kind.

That, and a hex pole (va. a round one) flexes a whole lot less providing greater control.

That, and a hex pole (va. a round one) flexes a whole lot less providing greater control.

Never thought about that when I bought them, but yeah, makes sense.

I use a standard truck brush on my extension pole. I have seen those ones shaperd like a "V". They seem like they would make it easier to get under neath the gutter. Does anyone use those, I am heading over to the supply hous on Thursday. Should I get one?

Barry has been helping me find a extension pole and I have been looking as well.

I found the Ettore Reach 27'. Does anyone have any pros and cons about it?

Thanks

Don

be careful when looking for pole at hd or lowes i got one for $42 but the next day foung one there for 35 just look else where in lowes and hd not just paint dept.

I don't like the V- I do better with the truck. I have a pole called Interlock has lasted I think 3 years. Keep the interlocking parts oiled!. I have had poles last One minute, one job, one week,.

Barry M

I would suggest Unger extension poles.I have been a window cleaner for 20+ yrs.I have used several different brands and in my opinion,Unger is the most durable,and versatile.Visit this site www.jracenstein.com .Great selection,you can choose what you would prefer

Hello Howard, I was thinking of getting the 30' pole also. This way I could only use what I need. What do you think of it? Is it sturdy? Does if flex a lot compared to the fiberglass extension poles like at Home Depot or Lowes? I almost bought one but held back. I am waiting to see if I get this job first. Thanks.

It does flex but not a lot. I like some flex it makes it easier to handle in my opinion. I do like it, before on some two story homes with porches I had to get up on the roof of the porch to get to the gutters to clean them. Now I can reach the gutters from the ground saves time and energy. It is heavier than the fiberglass 16 foot I have but what do ya expect.

I don't like twist-lock poles. The main threaded cam bond always breaks loose from the pole and then I have a pole that I cannot lock tightly for extended use. Have been using Gorilla Glue to address the issue, I hope it holds.

I would recommend Pin-lock poles but they need to be larger in diameter and thicker tubing at 24' lengths to be able to stand up to any real working pressure from brushing otherwise they just bend and wiggle all over the place as was mentioned above. This also makes them heavier and adds to operator fatigue. Nothing worse than have to struggle with a tool to do a job, just makes it all that much more of a pita factor.

Rod!~

side note...I have seen a new idea added to Extend-a-wands wash poles that incorporates a second pole that is attached to the first so that the weight is absorbed by the helper and the main operator at the gun end has better control over the end of the pole. Has anyone seen anything like this adopted for other poles?

Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart all have different brushes that have the right threads. They even have "Acid Brushes" so just take a look. I bought some a while back and then again a few days ago. At the stores, they are in the isles where they have wide brooms, mops, etc... I am happy with the ones I purchased. They range from $2.99 up to about $8.00 . They have all kinds of bristles for different applications. Hope this helps.

I am having a hard time finding a smaller brush to screw onto the end of my pole for burshing gutters. Anyone got a good site that sells these kind or brushes?
Dultmeier or local janitor supply for quality brushes.

I am having a hard time finding a smaller brush to screw onto the end of my pole for burshing gutters. Anyone got a good site that sells these kind or brushes?

Steve, Call Tom Vogel at ACR Products... I buy an heavy brush for gutters from him and it is excellent. Tell him I sent ya...610-392-1899

Guest Danebob

Just go to lowes man and get some Ettore. They are alittle flexy but they can reach high. you can get a brush there too. i just use a car wash brush. works fine. Later.