Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Locks

Any suggestions on padlocks for the rear & side doors of my enclosed trailer. I'm going to put trailer in secure storage lot and I would like a couple high security locks for the doors. I know have a couple of the round Master locks, but Id like better.

Thanks

JL

A buddy of mine chains up his Harley in the worst part of the city. I know he uses locks from ABUS (I think that is the spelling) Expensive though...

http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=344188869151448121020056816917897&select=0100

No matter how expensive a lock maybe, it is cheap in comparison to the hassle of replacing items, even if they are insured.

Locks only keep honest people honest, a true thief will get in no matter what, however the more deterrents you have the better. Consider an alarm in addition to the lock, and maybe even a Lojack if you are a little paranoid.

Back the trailer in as close to a fence as possible. Try and have the side door expsosed to a smuch traffic as possible.

Chain the wheels if you can.

My b.law will let a lot of the air out of one tire. No theif will change the tire before stealing.

P.S. Maters locks can EASILY and QUICKLY be broken with a hammer and chisel.

Jeff, look into the locks that are used on ordnance magazines, the bail thingy that locks into the cylinder goes all the way inside so it cant be cut. they are great....Ill search and see what I can come up with for you.....but like mentioned above, they keep honest people honest......but a great lock keeps an untrained, and under equiped theif at bay...... a motion alarm is quick and easy too...... Ill get back to you

Quite a few years back, a storage area near my place of business was constantly getting broken into. Just small, easy things got taken, but it all costs, so... an employee at the place I worked had trapped a 40# bobcat in a live-trap and then found out he was out of season without a permit, etc. He decided to solve both problems by leaving the cat in an old guitar amp case next to a bus owned by a local band. They had been robbed of some equipment earlier, an were unable to afford a different lot. The case didn't even sit out one night. The breakins stopped immediately. Guess they were just looking for a pet!:) Maybe a wolverine inside the trailer would be a deterant to the "help yourself" crowd. It could be part of the ad campaigns, like a mascot and theft prevention system in one.

Quite a few years back, a storage area near my place of business was constantly getting broken into. Just small, easy things got taken, but it all costs, so... an employee at the place I worked had trapped a 40# bobcat in a live-trap and then found out he was out of season without a permit, etc. He decided to solve both problems by leaving the cat in an old guitar amp case next to a bus owned by a local band. They had been robbed of some equipment earlier, an were unable to afford a different lot. The case didn't even sit out one night. The breakins stopped immediately. Guess they were just looking for a pet!:) Maybe a wolverine inside the trailer would be a deterant to the "help yourself" crowd. It could be part of the ad campaigns, like a mascot and theft prevention system in one.

Thats Funny, there is a guy around here that has signs on his truck Bobcats Pressure Washing

Thanks guys I like those locks you posted Scott Thanks

Bobcats huh? We have a lot of alligators around this neck of the woods:)

Has anyone every though of using a wheel lock on your trailer?......the type that they use in Europe to stop a vehicle from leaving when they've illegaly parked.

Something like this: http://www.universalboot.com/products/boot1.html

[Master] locks can EASILY and QUICKLY be broken with a hammer and chisel.

Don't even need that. There is a cheap metal shim designed just for master locks that that will open them in about 2 seconds.

Has anyone every though of using a wheel lock on your trailer?......the type that they use in Europe to stop a vehicle from leaving when they've illegaly parked.

Before garage, I used a long 1/2 vinyl coated cable through both wheels and around the toung/frame. Either cut the cable, or rip out the axle. Your choice! Actually, I forgot once and it did no damage other than to kink the cable. But the black marks and skidding quickly reminded me that the tires were't turning.

I do the same thing with the kriptonite cable locks from lowes when I am on the road.

I aslo left it in place and drove off didnt hurt the cable cept for a kink still works great. Great cable.

Glad theres more than two of us who tested the strenght of the cables. Mine WAS on the drivers side, guess I was in to big a hurry to make money.

We should start a thread about all the stupid things that have happened to us in the course of our working days.

As long as nobody or nothing got hurt/damaged then I take things like that in stride and consider them a GOOD wakeup call.

Off topic just a little bit: two days before Christmas my trailer separated from the truck. The ball sheared right off the receiver. I was lucky that I had an extra receiver in the truck with the right ball on it. Should I add that this happened not 10 minutes after signing the bottom of a Broward County Traffic Violation slip?

Hey Jeff,

I have open trailers now, but when I had an enclosed trailer I used the locks like you can buy at the mini storage places. I don't know who made it but it was round and you could only lock it with the key. I had been using a regular master lock before that and one day I stopped to fill up with fuel, got out and unlocked the trailer, filled up with fuel, locked the trailer and got in the truck -- NO KEYS -- they were laying on the floor of the trailer and the door was locked. I was about 45 mins from home and had to sit and wait for my wife to bring the spare key which was at home. All my tools were in the trailer, so I couldn't even get a hammer or something to knock the lock off with and was too embarrassed to ask anyone else for something.

I would get one of those locks. They are strong locks and last too.

Don't even need that. There is a cheap metal shim designed just for master locks that that will open them in about 2 seconds.

In the right hands, yes. I can get one open with a hammer in less than 2 seconds.

Lowes makes a cheap metal bolt cutter that will open them in 2 seconds too.

I still have my lock picks from my locksmithing days, most pad locks are extremly easy to pick. I've had to you this approach a time or two.

My cables were on the passenger side facing the front door of the hotel room I stayed in. I wanted to remember it in the morning. Oh well.

another one. I also drove off of job site with trailer and had unhooked supply hose, but forgot to unhook pressure hose. When I pulled in the street I was watching the trailer in the mirror and saw my hose coming with it. Broke an Xjet. There are probably many more that I could tell if I could remember.

Washaway,

Youre pretty stinkin lucky nothing bad happened!! I bet your gald you had those saftey chains on huh!

You have no idea! I'm also very glad that the trailer hit the receiver and not the truck. I was in a grid lock with stop-go traffic @ about 15mph.

The thing that saved me from truck damage was the 400 gallons of water in the trailer. When that thing hit the ground it dug a whole 15feet deep:)

It was one heck of an experience.

You know I've been called borderline compulsive obsessive in the past. EVERY time prior to getting in the truck I personally check the chains, the hitch lock, and the cables.......just to make sure noone has tempered with something while I was working behind a building or something of the like. Even with such careful attention mistakes can happen.