Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

Average age at start up

How old were you when you started the biz?  

358 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you started the biz?

• 15 to 20
    • 20 to 25
    • 25 to 30
    • 30 to 35
    • 35 to 40
    • 40 to 45
    • 45 to 50
    • 50 to 55
    • 55 or older

You folks 40's! You are old. LOL I did 30+ yrs in printing. We started our painting business in 1997 and got serious about PWing the last two yrs. I am only 56 yrs. young. Kinda happy that my play days are not as active. Just serious about our business. I don't post about Beer & Babes. Only how to clean them and make money from them! LOL

I started when I was 20 and I will be 23 in July. Man have I learned alot since then. Its kinda funny looking back. I had a litte Pressure Washer for home cheapo and 50ft of hose.:lgbonk: LOL

Dane

Actually started pressure washing when I was 18 part time washing trucks. Started GCR PowerClean I guess around 20 in 1994 as extra money and went full time in 96'. Kicked it over to TIMBERSEAL around 99' when I was pretty much doing nothing but wood at the time and been that way since for the most part. I'm turning 34 in August and my memory already is going to pot :)

I am graduating college in May and I already have a full time job. I work a 6 - 2 job and when I get home I have nothing really to do. Soo why not go out and make some money! I have been researching and preparing for the spring since December and I already have jobs lined up. Can't wait to get out there

I started my pressure washing company two years ago when I turned 17, I have made a pretty good name for myself and am doing pretty well two years later.

Jacob Sobotka

American Pressure Washing

started at the age of 25 and now am 29. i gotta say I love what i do but with the ammount of work i have to do in about 1 hr i will hate it untill i get the check.:D another long hot humid day today but its a holiday so i have to work on a big fleet and be done today. just me and 1 helper the other 2 guys flaked yesterday after the azz whoopin we got.

I was just turning 25 when I signed my first contract without any rig or even a business Lic. I have over 10,000 dollars in contracts before I bought my first rig for $12,500.

I am now 47 and work 180 days or less a year by choice... or I should say.... because the boss ( My wife ) says so. As long as we are comfortable she is happy. My wife prefers less money and more time with the family.

So, I spend as much time at home with my children and wife as possible. God has truly blessed us.

For those who started around 20, was it hard to earn credibility from the homeowners because you are still basically a kid? I will be turning 20 this year and will probably officially get the company launched this summer.

Thanks, JL

For those who started around 20, was it hard to earn credibility from the homeowners because you are still basically a kid? I will be turning 20 this year and will probably officially get the company launched this summer.

Thanks, JL

I started @ 24 and have had that problem but IF your on your game and know how to sell your service you will soon prevail. Its even worse dealing with commercial customers

Well, I've been dibbling and dabbling in the biz since I was 22, but went full scale last February at the ripe old age of 33.

I wish I would have gone full time at 22!

I guess 5 if you count shoveling Coal into a Boiler with my brother. It was fun to watch him do it, couldnt stand the cigarette smoke from him smoking. The Coal boiler smell didn't bother me. Hence that was my Cleaning Career start, boilers ran the presses.

Mother an Father never had a Job

Edited by Ron Musgraves

Started my business at age 38. I wish I could go back in time and start at age 18. Instead, I went the college route and worked for others. College has its place, but I would do it all differently if I could for various reasons.

I think that starting a business is a case by case scenario. After 8 years of military service I think now that at age 24 I feel I am ready to take on the challenge of starting my own business part time while keeping my full time employment. Everyone matures differently, I think that without a strong work ethic and discipline it would be very hard to make a start up business work. I am going through thick and thin to start my business while bouncing around all the other elements I feel that at age 24 for me is the best time. Grab the bull by the horns and go for a ride. I have no mortgage yet, only personal bills and toys so the risk factor is still minimal. If I face plant it's now and not when I have a starving family and big bills to pay.

I think that starting a business is a case by case scenario. After 8 years of military service I think now that at age 24 I feel I am ready to take on the challenge of starting my own business part time while keeping my full time employment. Everyone matures differently, I think that without a strong work ethic and discipline it would be very hard to make a start up business work. I am going through thick and thin to start my business while bouncing around all the other elements I feel that at age 24 for me is the best time. Grab the bull by the horns and go for a ride. I have no mortgage yet, only personal bills and toys so the risk factor is still minimal. If I face plant it's now and not when I have a starving family and big bills to pay.

I watched the news last night........maybe a snow removal division might be a good winter option for you as well! That was alot of snow on the ground in Montreal!