Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Supporting this board

Question

As I'm sure most have noticed, we now have banner ads inserted in the threads. One way to get rid of those is to make a once-a-year donation to get the ads removed from your view.

Another way is to actually take the time to click on the links. As Beth has pointed out, the ads are geared towards the topic in the thread, so you never know what you might find. If you take a few minutes/day to click through on a few of the ad links, that makes money for the board, doesn't matter if you buy anything or not.

The best thing you could do is make a donation AND ask Beth to keep the ads in view so you can still click through on them, but that's just my opinion.

Beth and Rod have given all of us a great place to learn, to share, and to socialize with like-minded people all over the world, and it isn't cheap for them. What's a few bucks out of each of our pockets to help them defray the cost, and to say thanks?

38 answers to this question

Mike,

Thank you very much for the support you have shown us here. I will check and see if you can keep the ads as well. I think having that option is a great idea.

Members of TGS who contribute will get recognition in their postbit (info that shows up about you when you post in a thread) letting others know they are TGS Site Supporters. (coming soon - after the 1st of the year)

Some of the costs associated with this site include:

• Hosting fees
  • Software licenses and upgrades/annual fees (4 of them I think - forums, gallery, skins, and portal)
  • Technical support for upgrades, add ons, database care, skins, hacks and more (Tech Admin)

I have linked to the donations page in this thread for those who are interested. Regardless of that, we do appreciate the support our members show throughout the forums, by posting and responding to others questions. It is my personal hope that our lurkers who have never posted will give it a try from time to time here on the forums.

Thank you all.

Beth & Rod

I may be a little bias but this BBS has definately been a very valuable resource for this industry. BBS interaction and dialogue, when managed properly, can offer unlimited resources for the contractor.

Adding the google banner ads is just yet another example of how the TGS is progressively thinking "out of the box" to offer a variety of resources to it's audience.

A donation is cheaper than a divorce for clicking on the dating ads.

"No honey I still love you. I am just helping pay for the BBS really."

Made my donation today. It is worth every penny.

New Look Partnerships, Inc. will match any donation up to $100.00 starting immediately from Larry B's post above and will continue through the month of January '06.

Beth, let me know when you hit the mark and we will send the match.

I gave a donation, very willingly, but still see the ads. No biggie, just curious. I'd perfer no ads if possible. I'd also like to ad that giving a few donations for all that I've received from this bbs is a small price to pay. Thanks to Beth & Rod, and all that help support this cyber community.

Hey John,

I think Beth received some pledges already but I am not sure what the amounts are. As long as the TGS receives a total of $100.00 from others, then we will add a $100.00.

Hey...have you pledged anything yet? LOL

I'm in I have used this board to learn. I've bought products from Beth and Rod when they had their store, and count them both as friends. I've been to one of their training sessions, haven't made a round table, yet! I've talked to both Rod and Beth on the phone and they have never failed to help me when I needed it. So I'm glad to help them keep this board alive and well and hopefully growing. Paid today through PayPal.

Thanks Beth and Rod for all you do.

Thank you all so much for your generosity. Some folks have asked why we continue to have this BBS since we don't have a store now. It's simple, it's there for those who need it. If we are all more successful as a result of it being online, then that's a good thing.

Beth :sunshine:

I need to let you all know that due to the responses we have had, we will be leaving the ads up. It seems they are either on or off when you make a donation, and it would be a global setting that effects all users. The majority have indicated they would like them to remain so...there you go.

Thank you all for your support.

Beth

I am relatively new and have put my foot in my mouth a few time already!!!! Wanted to say THANK YOU for all you have done to share the knowledge.

Would like to provide you with support to say thank you. Let me know how, where etc??

Brent