Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Disturbing email from (?) PayPal

Question

I received this email this morning from PayPal. It looks official enough so I click on the link. The server is PayPal.com. I get to the site and the first thing it asks me for is my account password. Okay I enter it. The very next page it asks for my credit card information. I thought that was bizarre. I did nothing at that point. Help.

Dear PayPal,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account

from a foreign IP address.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in

attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate

the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to verify your

identity:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr? cmd=_login-run

Verify your identity is a security measure that will ensure that you are

the only person with access to the account.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Sincerely,

PayPal

------------------------------------------------ ----------------

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at

https://www.paypal.com/. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by

opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and typing

in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be

answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the

"Help" link in the header of any page.

21 answers to this question

Ken,

It's a scam... do not enter any info. Put your mouse over the link. You will see that it goes to a non paypal address: paypal.com.registermatters.com

I get these emails all of the time. PayPal will never send you an email requesting you to enter info or update info.

MIke

Ken,

Actually change your account password now. Becuase they have all of the info they need to access your account. They have your email address and your password if you entered it. Also notify PayPal.

Mike

I receive a couple of those a week.The funniest part is we don't have a paypal account.I report them as spam to the email host and to their abuse division.

In the forum section of 419eater.com they talk about this scam.If you guys haven't checked out the forum on that site I encourage you to do so.It will surprise you how many different varieties of scam there really are.

I get them all the time as well. I also get them from "ebay" too. The ebay ones tell me congratualtions you are eligible to become a powere seller, and things like that. They make it seem like they are doing you a favor.

What amazes me is the way they look just like the actual real website. Most of the links they place on there are links for the real site as well. It is done that way to maintain your confidence.

We have received those also.

How many of you have received the email talking about some member of the Royal family of Zimunda was killed and left 12 million U.S. dollars. The person that is sending the email needs your help to unfreeze these funds and do a wire transfer to your account. All you need to do is send them 2k to let them know you are serious?

Carlos,

Check out this thread

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5666&highlight=scam

I strongly encourage everyone to take a look at the forums and the way this group fights back at the scammers.There is a lot of useful info that could keep anyone you know from losing everything on the outside chance of getting rich quick.

Yeah I figured as much. Just in case, I had already changed my password directly after I started smelling a rat. Unbelievable.

Good move.

If you hold your pointer over the link that looks like it goes to paypal, it will be a different URL. Sometimes they're clever. Here's the real URL your link went to: www.paypal.com.registermatters.com

Notice the registermatters stuck in there? That's the real URL. It's already gone, so they've moved on.

No financial institution will send you a like to log in (or they shouldn't). They will ask you to go to their site and log in from there.

The funny thing about these emails is that if you read them, you can tell they're written by a foreigner trying to use English properly, and failing. Yours is actually very well written.

I answer them all the time, i use BS name and brother in-laws credit card number. Just kidding about the brother in-law. But i have fun with them. I even got one to answer back.

I said to call me and i would give it toi him over the phone, please dont suspend my account.

They got me because I am in the process of opening a business account and gateway with PayPal so mixed in with he fake mails are legitimate ones and they look identical. Scary. Thanks for all the heads up on this.

What makes me laugh are the ones from "Wells Frago"...

The Paypal scam is known as "Phishing" The phish (pronounced fish) with a bogus email until someone clicks on the link and enters valuable account information. Usually originates from over-seas, and it you give them your info, your account will be drained quickly, and you are plain outa-luck.

Never click on an email link to get to a website. Always go back to your browser, and enter the address manually.

Talking about the millions inherited from nigeria,i get at least 3 a week.always 10 to 17 million dollars will share if they can confide in me and i have to be very discreet.i was very concerned to notice that so many people with my last name have died in a car wreck or plane crash,in this country.with that kind of luck im staying away from that place ,sounds like my relatives have curse in that land.

I receive a couple of those a week.The funniest part is we don't have a paypal account.I report them as spam to the email host and to their abuse division.

In the forum section of 419eater.com they talk about this scam.If you guys haven't checked out the forum on that site I encourage you to do so.It will surprise you how many different varieties of scam there really are.

You can forward all these types of email to paypal at spoof@paypal.com and they will attempt to shut them down. I get these too and when I forward them to paypal they do reply.

Reed

Remember one thing and you will never get burnt.

ANY EMAIL REGRADLESS OF WHERE IT SAYS IT IS FROM THAT ASK FOR ANYTHING PERSONALY, PASSWORD, CREDIT CARD NUMBER, DATE OF BIRTH, MOTHERS MAIDEN NAME ETC. IS NOT REAL.

No bank, credit card company, PayPal, eBay, Amazon or other legit company will ever ask you for anything personal. EVER.

You can do two things, forward it to the appropiate company then delete it or just delete it.

DO NOT REPLY TO THEM, some might carry viruses, many carry cookies to track you and some have those things that can steal your personal information.

And yes they do look offical as they copy the offical boards web page.

Oh and the worst of all of them ask for your Social Security number and that is not a legal question nor is it a legal ID number. I refuse to even give out the last 4 numbers to my own bank, I simply tell them the only legal purpose of SS is for paying taxes and drawing SS when you retire so ask me another question.

I kid you not, I refuse to ever allow that to become a national ID, when that time comes then they might as well tattoo it on everyone's arm and every baby born should have it on their arm at birth.

Not in my lifetime.