Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

I got laid off!

Question

Well, I got laid off from the full time job yesterday for at least a month. Unfortunate circumstances caused us to loose a big job and my intelligent boss had all his eggs in one basket. Most likely I won't get called back, the company is pretty much washed up. Now I'm torn between finding another full time job or trying to live off of power washing. My wife is freaking out over the whole thing and isn't being very supportive right now. I only have 1 part time season of power washing under my belt. I feel like it's too early to try and survive on PWing right now. On the other hand it might be difficult to schedule PWing jobs with having a new fulltime job and not knowing what they will expect of me. Maybe I should send out 5000 postcards and see how far it takes me and then get a new job once things slow down. I'm just confused on what to do right now and to be honest I'm pretty scared. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words, but please be honest and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

28 answers to this question

You know the old saying....when a door closes, another opens. Look at this at your perfect timing to ramp up your business and take the plunge. Yes it's scary as hell but if your work ethics are strong and you make the commitment (and don't forget to pray daily!) you and your family will be just fine. I nearly had a stroke when Roger quit GE - those steady paychecks are kinda comforting, but we have never regretted that decision for one second. Use the tools that you have, put your plans into action and welcome to the world of the self employed!

Does your wife work? If you want her to help you, give her my number - I'll help her to help you!

Celeste

God has a way of making things happen. Look at it this way. I have read your posts over the winter. You have done your research. You have one season under your belt. You have some capital to work with (as attested by your thought of sending out 5000 mailers) An entrepreneur takes the plunge and if he is smart makes it worthwhile. You're ready! I know it's easy for me to say this as I am not the one in turmoil right now. Scrutinize both your business and personal budgets. Trim where you can and spend your dollars where they will do the most good. If mailers are effective for you, run with them. If you have never done them maybe try splitting your campaign into three mailing at a very targeted demographic.

Barry, this couldn't have happened at a better time. The season is about to kick into high gear. Have faith, do the legwork and all will be provided. Best of luck to you in these tough times.

Barry,

Consider getting a part time flexible job, and trying to ease into PWing with the spring season. A part time job may offer a little security and still enough flexibility for you to launch in the spring.

Food for thought.

Beth

Go full blown brother. It's the season opening up right now. Live the business. Be the business. It is your baby and your time.

Those fears are normal for all of us. When it's sink or swim, you should swim real hard. You might just be surprised at the response you get from your fliers. Never give up bro. Fight the good fight. All of us have been there and are there each season. Listen to these people, they know what they are talking about, they have been where you are right now. Look at this as a chance to prove things to yourself that you can do it. You will survive and see that this will be the best experience you have ever known. Plus your wife will be so proud of you in the end for taking charge of the situation as you should. Feel free to call for any pointers at anytime. I am sure the same applies from anyone else on this board. Scared is GOOD, fear is the greatest motivator.You are in the firey furnace and you will not get burned!!!! It will make you act RIGHT NOW. Go kill some grime!!!!!! Rest assured that this is in the cards. You will make the right decision, brother.

Let those customers know how important they are to you.

Barry,

I've been there three, yes three, times myself. Without a doubt the most important thing is going to be your attitude. You're in a state of shock right now and so is your wife. Don't go off half cocked with ideas that will burn your money. Give yourself a few days to settle down, things are not going to crash down around you in that time. Contact everyone right now who you may be paying bills (utilities, mortage, credit cards, etc.) and let them know what has happened. There will be a record of you contacting them and you can set up financial arrangements that will not kill you. Please do not delay doing this. If you have unemployment insurance on any of you credit cards, put that into action. File with your local unemployment office immediatly, even if you don't qualify for benefits. Just get it on the record that you filed with them, it can help you later. Your creditors have seen this before and they will have systems in place to help you through it. They do not want you to go belly up, believe me.

Back to the attitude thing. This could actually turn out to be a real blessing. There may be grants out there that will help with ramp up costs for your business. Now that your "officially" unemployed you can tap into financial resources unavailable to you before. You can make a list over the next few days of what it would take to move your business to the next level. Keep a pad of paper handy and jot down ideas as they occur to you. There are many things you can do to take what, on the surface, looks negative and turn it into a positive.

I will be home tomorrow. If you want to talk, IM me and I can call you. Remember, and I really do know what I'm talking about on this subject, it's all in the way you look at and approach things that will make the differnece.

Barry,

I'm kinda in the same boat so I feel your pain..........Everyone has given great advise so far and I feel compelled to add my 2 cents........ GO FOR IT....................BE SMART....BE BRAVE..............AND.... BE VERY AGRESSIVE MENTALLY!!!...................Best of luck brother.........

Stephen Andrews

POWER WASHING

HOME & PROPERTY

CARE & MAINTENANCE

Reading all of your encouraging posts made me tear up a bit, man what was that all about. Thank you so much for your input, you guys are the best. I couldn't of made it this far without you.

I know things happen for a reason. I do have faith in God and that helps to calm some of my fears. I do pray most everyday and ask for help. But you all know how it is if you get caught up in the minute, you can really get yourself worked up. Maybe it is my time........thanks again.

Think positive and good things will happen .go for the gusto.soory to hear ya lost your main income .but the season of pw is coming on strong .send them cards out If ya were her i could use you daily

Barry,

These boards are full of success stories about people just like you. There is no magic formula for success, it just takes hard work. All the resources you need, professionally speaking, are right here. Just imagine how you would feel if you had been wasting your spare time, instead of reaching higher by starting your own small business. I am a part-timer myself, but I sleep better at night knowing that I don't have to worry about being at the mercy of my employer.

This really could be the start of something great for yourself and your family. Your wife loves you and naturally is concerned. I bet that the day you got married, she believed you could do anything. Ask her to have a little faith and play along while you try to get this thing off the ground. I'll be worth it.

Hey barry, I'm not going to tell you not to try to get a fulltime job, you might find a good one. Barry let me tell you, you are smart do what you think is best. I feel for you Barry. Look for a job if you must but also try to get work PWing

take your time and use it to your advantage, times are tense for you, but start in the next couple days and start knocking on doors. You can spend maybe 6 hours a day focusing on your PW biz. I think you mainly have done just resdential, how about going after commercial. If you can do residential you can do commercial. Start going to businesses fast food, restaurants, convenient store, look up PM companies etc. Dont be afraid of the big job you can do them too

Make up some fliers on your computer residential & commercial and have them printed up and start dropping them off, mail them fax them what ever you have to do. SEND the 5000 card now and send more if you can and keep sending them, a few jobs a week and you'll have a pay check.

I think we ALL believe in you Barry, we see you on the board asking inteligent questions , getting excited about the PW biz, you can do it, you have to!

Wether you look for and get a full time job and do PWing on the side, you with a ood attitude can & will be your own boss someday, nothings real easy in life, but you can do this

Like I said I feel for you and your wife and I already said a short prayer for you, so go do what you got to do and these upcoming nervous times when you cant sleep, work on your biz and then work on it more, fliers & knocking or doors is what you got to do

I along with many others are rooting for you

Jeff

Here is just a thought. Put the business in your wifes name and then file for grants. There are more grants available to women than there are for men.

Sub-CategoryCFDA#AgencyProgram TitleSmall Business

10.212USDASmall Business Innovation Research

10.406USDAFarm Operating Loans

10.767USDAIntermediary Relending Program

10.768USDABusiness and Industry Loans

10.769USDARural Business Enterprise Grants

10.773USDARural Business Opportunity Grants

10.775USDARenewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency Improvements Program

10.856USDA1890 Land Grant Institutions Rural Entrepreneurial Outreach Program

11.108DOCCommercial Service

11.110DOCManufacturing and Services

11.150DOCExport Licensing Service and Information

11.313DOCTrade Adjustment Assistance

11.611DOCManufacturing Extension Partnership

11.617DOCCongressionally-Identified Projects

11.800DOCMinority Business Enterprise Centers

11.803DOCMinority Business Opportunity Center (MBOC)

11.806DOCMinority Business Opportunity Committee

14.412HUDEmployment Opportunities for Lower Income Persons and Businesses

15.124DOIIndian Loans_Economic Development

20.930DOTPayments for Small community Air Service Developmen

t21.003TREASTaxpayer Service

36.001FTCFair Competition Counseling and Investigation of Complaints

39.001GSABusiness Services

44.001NCUACredit Union Charter, Examination, Supervision, and Insurance

59.002SBAEconomic Injury Disaster Loans

59.005SBAInternet-Based Technical Assistance

59.006SBA8(a) Business Development

59.007SBA7(j) Technical Assistance

59.008SBAPhysical Disaster Loans

59.009SBAProcurement Assistance to Small Businesses

59.011SBASmall Business Investment Companies

59.012SBASmall Business Loans

59.016SBABond Guarantees for Surety Companies

59.026SBAService Corps of Retired Executives Association

59.037SBASmall Business Development Center

59.041SBACertified Development Company Loans (504 Loans)

59.043SBAWomen's Business Ownership Assistance

59.044SBAVeterans Entrepreneurial Training and Counseling

59.046SBAMicroloan Program

59.047SBAPre Disaster Mitigation Loan Program

59.048SBAMilitary Reserve Economic Injury Loan

59.049SBAOffice of Small Disadvantaged Business Certification and Eligibility

59.050SBAMicroenterprise Development Grants

59.051SBANew Markets Venture Capital Program, Operational Assistance (OA) Grants

81.082DOEManagement and Technical Assistance for Minority Business Enterprises

81.105DOENational Industrial Competitiveness through Energy, Environment, and Economics

97.022DHSFlood Insurance

newcfda.gifflag2.gifSkip Navigation

Home | FAQ | Privacy | About The CFDA Web Site

Programs Sub-CategoryCFDA#AgencyProgram TitleMinority Business Enterprises

10.421USDAIndian Tribes and Tribal Corporation Loans

10.768USDABusiness and Industry Loans

11.108DOCCommercial Service

11.110DOCManufacturing and Services

11.300DOCGrants for Public Works and Economic Development Facilities

11.307DOCEconomic Adjustment Assistance

11.427DOCFisheries Development and Utilization Research and Development Grants and Cooperative Agreements Program

11.800DOCMinority Business Enterprise Centers

11.801DOCNative American Business Enterprise Centers

11.802DOCMinority Business Development

11.803DOCMinority Business Opportunity Center (MBOC)

11.806DOCMinority Business Opportunity Committee

15.124DOIIndian Loans_Economic Development

20.511DOTHuman Resource Programs

20.903DOTSupport Mechanisms for Disadvantaged Businesses

20.904DOTBonding Assistance Program

20.905DOTDisadvantaged Business Enterprises_Short Term Lending Program

39.001GSABusiness Services

59.006SBA8(a) Business Development

59.007SBA7(j) Technical Assistance

59.011SBASmall Business Investment Companies

59.046SBAMicroloan Program

81.082DOEManagement and Technical Assistance for Minority Business Enterprises

Total Row Count in Report- 23

Row(s) 1 - 23

General Services Administration

Office of Chief Acquisition Officer

Regulatory and Federal Assistance Division (VIR)

I copy and pasted and I think you can goto the links. I paid money for this information so your welcome

Locating grants to start a new

business or expand an existing one

Read this section while connected to the Net, Web links will be live

To locate grants, loans and assistant programs for starting a new business or expanding an existing one, follow these steps: 1. Browse the business categories of the Online Catalog of Government Grant, Loan and Assistant Programs (To access the details of a program, click on the CFDA# to the left of the program name in the list):

2. Contact your local SBA office to see what grant and loan programs are available. Click on the link below to locate your local SBA office:

http://www.sba.gov/regions/states.html

3. Contact your state's Small Business Development Center and find out what programs are available. Click here! to locate your local SBDC office.

4. Locate your state's business development site and see what they have to offer.

5. See if you are eligible for a low interest loan from the small Business Administration.

6. Get a personal free expert advice and counseling.

7. Obtain a low interest loan or a stock investment in your business from a Small Business Investment Company.

Well, I got laid off from the full time job yesterday for at least a month. Unfortunate circumstances caused us to loose a big job and my intelligent boss had all his eggs in one basket. Most likely I won't get called back, the company is pretty much washed up. Now I'm torn between finding another full time job or trying to live off of power washing. My wife is freaking out over the whole thing and isn't being very supportive right now. I only have 1 part time season of power washing under my belt. I feel like it's too early to try and survive on PWing right now. On the other hand it might be difficult to schedule PWing jobs with having a new fulltime job and not knowing what they will expect of me. Maybe I should send out 5000 postcards and see how far it takes me and then get a new job once things slow down. I'm just confused on what to do right now and to be honest I'm pretty scared. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words, but please be honest and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Adrian's right, scared is good. But scared is just a feeling. You feel happy, you feel sad, you feel scared. The only way that scared can hurt you is if you let it paralyze your decision making process. Right or wrong, make a decision and go with it.

I had been pwing PT about 3 months and I was pulling down 85k+ FT when I decided I had enough and quit my job. Was I scared? Hell yes! The first year was hard. I had a PU truck, a roll around PW, and a mortgage. Despite prior business experience, I was clueless as a contractor. I had flyers for advertising, Dollar General for bleach, and generic laundry soap for an emulsifier. My credit cards creeped up, but I was paying the house note and feeding the kids. Even more important, I was self sufficient for the first time in my life.

I know the gap seems huge, Neo. You must not think you can make the jump, KNOW you can make the jump. For perspective, 100k is $378 on each of the 264 working days in the year. Do you think you can manage to wash 2 houses a day? Or one big one? Put that way, 100K doesn't seem like much... And if you're a 50k guy, then you can work Mon, Wed, Fri and make more than you were making.

Anyway, call me anytime. 770-460-0469

Now, Let me critique your own self doubt a bit.

Unfortunate circumstances caused us to loose a big job and my intelligent boss had all his eggs in one basket.

I would venture that 80% of the people on this forum are PW'ers because the could not take one more day working for Dilbert's boss. Based on the phrase "my intelligent boss", I would bet you are one of us...

Now I'm torn between finding another full time job or trying to live off of power washing.

How long will that take? Most good jobs take 1 month for every 10k salary to locate. If you're going to be unemployed for 3-6 months, might as well make some money. And if you're making enough, why keep looking?

My wife is freaking out over the whole thing and isn't being very supportive right now.

I would suspect that your fear is very apparent right now. Your lack of confidence is feeding her fears, and hence her lack of support in return. In most families, it's the man's job to reassure everyone that everything will be ok. Assume that role decidedly. Cry on the back porch at 2am if you need to ( I have), but in front of the troops suck it up, smile, and press on.

And as I tell my wife; There is no need to worry about things you cannot control. And that includes the past.

I only have 1 part time season of power washing under my belt. I feel like it's too early to try and survive on PWing right now.

You know how to wash, you know how to sell, now just do alot more of it.

On the other hand it might be difficult to schedule PWing jobs with having a new fulltime job and not knowing what they will expect of me.

Yep. And soon it will be difficul to schedult PW'ing jobs and handle the office work for your business. That's a good problem.

Maybe I should send out 5000 postcards and see how far it takes me and then get a new job once things slow down. I'm just confused on what to do right now and to be honest I'm pretty scared.

Pick the several upper middle class neighborhoods (250-400k) in your locale. Get enough to total about 1000 homes. Mail them every 2 weeks for 2 months. Know the neighborhoods well enough to quote on the phone. Make it your goal to book every job and do so w/o low balling. You may have to make price concessions, but maintain a good price/good value on every sale.

Barry, you now have more time to go out and sell. I would expect you to get up every moring like you did with your full time job and go to work selling. jeff mentioned a handful of opportunities another is to go and call on every construction site in your area. Just about all new construction has some sort of cleaning done before the general contractor turns it over to the owners. also go to trucking companies and ask for terminal manager or fleet manager about washing their trucks. I would also try to schedule multiple jobs for the same day, that way you can spend whole days selling instead of washing and selling on the same day. when you do a job go to the 5 neighbors bordering that particular property(the 3 across the street and the two next door neighbors) let them know you just cleaned Mr. Doe's house/biz and ask if you can clean their property.

Morgan,

It is great seeing you again! Thank you so much for posting that information. Hope all is well with you and the your family.

Beth

Hi Beth were doing pretty good. Shelby the one that had the stroke in December is getting better she can walk really good now but still needs the wheel chair when we go shopping or something that involves alot of walking. She has limited use of her right arm and very little use of her hand. We are hoping to get her theropy started soon still waiting for her brain to catch up. She started being home schooled 3 hrs a week through the public school system last month. She is on about a second grade level and she is in the 7th so she has alot of catching up to do. I still check this board and of course The cleaner network but Im out of washing all together I just help my friend that has all my equipment make bids and stuff so that I can collect my rent and percentage of the jobs he does. LOL I am driving an 18 wheeler now hauling sod for a company that pays my health insurance and a good wage to boot. At this point in life with my kids the insurance is the main factor and with there health I have to work for a company. I still like helping folks on the board and cominicating with all my internet friends. Good to hear from ya. See ya:lgwave:

Phillip, what you said was very well put. There are so many "up from the ashes" success stories in this great country.

Barry, I really think with all of our help & your experience, you have a great shot at being a very succesfull full time PWer. Think about it, all you need to do is land 1 fleet wash account, and you are on your way. ONE FLEET WASH ACCOUNT!!!! I have done very well with fleets for several years now, and I can help you get started with the right chems, equip (if needed), sales pitch, and so on.

Actually, if you want to come and visit me, you are more than welcome. I'm not that far from you. Work with us for 1-3 days and I'll show you all I can. You will leave all fired up and with a lot of knowledge.

I started my business part-time while employed at a Chevy dealership. Then I got a call to go to work as a full-time firefighter. Changes happened in City Management and my full time job went away. I drew my unemployment, took on jobs I should not have done, made very small profits, but learned lots. In a couple of years I was making more than I did as a firefighter, with a lot more job satisfaction. Now, I am so used to working for myself, I cannot see working for anyone else. A potentially devastating change worked out great for me. In Oregon, I could make all the sales calls I wanted, but had to keep my income below a certain level. I made calls one week, scheduled work for the following week. This kept me within the guidlines set up by the State Umemployment Division. You can make this work for you! Go for it and never look back!

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Barry , see if your state has something like PA does. It's called the Self Employment assistance program , it allows you to collect unemployment and start ( run ) your own bussiness. Pa has classes a few hrs a week ( 3 weeks long) at the local community col. I went through the class and they teach you alot. Plus you get the security of 6 mo. unemployment and any income you can make at your own bus. This could give you a taste of full time pwing and if you think it' snot going to work out start looking for a full time job when you have 1-2 mo. left. Let us know how you are doing. Good Luck

Scott

Sorry to hear about the layoff. I've been there myself many times and can confidently say that you will make it no matter what you do. You aren't the kind of guy that will fail your family or yourself. I've read your posts, and agree with Jeff that you obviously are intelligent.

I'll go a step further and tell you this: I admire your ability to ask the right questions, at the right time, in an intelligent manner, respectfully, and to follow-up in the same manner.

I also see that you aren't afraid to admit your need for help.

These are characteristics that will serve you well no matter what course you choose to follow. I just wanted to chime in with the others here to encourage you, and let you know you have friends that will help if we can.

I'm sure you'd do the same for us. Get in touch any way, whenever if I can be of any assistance, and hang tough.

Also, thanks for the polls and posts you've added. They have done much to enlighten me this year.:)