Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

Poll: What type of pressure washing rig do you use?

What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?  

618 members have voted

1. 1. What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?

• Trailer Mounted
    • Portable Gas
    • Portable Electric
    • Truck or Van Mounted
    • Other

Question

Hi, I was just looking to see what type of pressure washer you guys use - Portable pressure washer , Trailer mounted rig, Box van/ truck mounted, or other.

I have a trailer mounted rig (delco 5.5gpm hot water) with 525 gallon tank, and I also have a portable 13hp 4gpm cold machine. I've been thinking lately, I do mostly house washing and decks, I usually pull my 18 foot pressure washing trailer. For most, if not all my jobs, I could just use the portable 13hp pressure washer. Do most you guys have trailer rigs, or just use a portable pressure washer?

I'm actually thinking of just selling the whole trailer mounted rig, and keeping my portable 13hp 4gpm machine, x jet, nozzles, wand, chemicals, ladder and just using it. Its kind of a pain to lug around a 18 foot trailer and back into some tight places, not to mention the extra wear on the truck, and decreased fuel milage. What do you guys think? Sell it or keep it? I know its nice to have 5.5gpm and the hot water, but I just don't seem to do a lot of concrete cleaning where I need the hot water.

Thanks, Matt

174 answers to this question

If you have a long bed 3/4 or 1 ton truck, you can make a hot water skid and small buffer tank work, I have seen it many times, you just don't have a lot of room for a lot of other stuff.

I would say at least a 6'x12' trailer.

If you are able to work into the winter, you might think about the enclosed trailer, if not, maybe the open trailer and winterize it so the pump and engine are safe over the winter.

I will not go into the open vs. enclosed trailer discussion, there are a lot of them all over, just search for them and read about them.

Are you focusing on residential or commercial or some of both.

Tell us what you want to be doing as that will help with the setup of the trailer.

If you have a long bed 3/4 or 1 ton truck, you can make a hot water skid and small buffer tank work, I have seen it many times, you just don't have a lot of room for a lot of other stuff.

I would say at least a 6'x12' trailer.

If you are able to work into the winter, you might think about the enclosed trailer, if not, maybe the open trailer and winterize it so the pump and engine are safe over the winter.

I will not go into the open vs. enclosed trailer discussion, there are a lot of them all over, just search for them and read about them.

Are you focusing on residential or commercial or some of both.

Tell us what you want to be doing as that will help with the setup of the trailer.

Thanks Chris. Yeah, I have seen the numerous discussions on enclosed vs open. I am leaning towards open as I can put it in our garage for security and I would winterize the pump as I am not too interested in working in the winter.

I focus on residential and do not seek commercial stuff, but I have had 3 different occassions where commercial stuff has come up through associations and contacts (dog park, softball, coworkers of wife, etc...) and I have not had the ability to handle it because my equipment is cold water.

Well, if fitting in the garage is a concern, I know my new 5x10 open trailer barely fits our 1 car garage with the tongue length. I have plenty of room for my rig, a 65 gallon chem tank (not using a buffer right now), a big tool box, stacked 18" summit hose reels, and I can squeeze in a number of other things in the free space like my chemical pump cart, surface cleaner, buckets of stain, and other materials. If you plan it right, you can get a lot of stuff on a 5x10 trailer, but keep in mind, I do mostly house washes and wood, so I don't need a ton of stuff.

Think about what you're trying to accomplish with the trailer, and go from there. It's not super easy planning it all out, but it's not rocket science either. Everyone's needs are different, but the end result is fairly similar in one way or another. Since I knew I was going with an open trailer, and a minimalist setup, I used this to give me ideas: NEW DESIGN! 8' XD Trailer - Our New Affordable "Business In A Box" Special! 4 GPM, 4000 PSI,HOT WATER TRAILER RIG - Sun Brite Shop-Built Custom Trailer Rigs This is very similar to how mine came out in the end, except no hot box, and a chem tank instead.

post-2623-137772429414_thumb.jpg

post-2623-13777242943_thumb.jpg

Here are the pics you requested KGILL. You can see, it's not very complicated, and I have a ton of extra space between my toolbox and my rig and chem tank. I can wash about 12 or 13 houses before I have to refill my chem tank.

If I need, I can haul 60 gallons of stain, all my buckets of stripper, brightener, and percarb cleaner, which I store unmixed in 5 gallon buckets. I can put my chem pump cart on the back, I can haul extra hose, pump up sprayers, and even fit my 8' ladder down the center between the rig and chem tank. The only thing I can't do easily is haul my 28' extension ladder. I can strap it on, but it's not an easy deal. I'm thinking of adding a ladder rack above everything.

One difference you'll notice between mine, and the one I linked to is, my rig is turned around the other way. The exhaust was way too hot blowing on the hose reels, so I had to switch it around. It makes starting a little trickier, because it's pull start, but it's a honda, so it's only one pull anyway.

I plan on closing in those sides between the tool box and chem tank/rig and putting signs on the sides there, but I just haven't gotten to it. Been too busy making money with this thing to change anything.

We have used open trailers from get go. Much easier to work out of. We have air blow outs on all of our units and tarp them in the Winter.

Our new units this year have been built for versatility and speed. Each trailer is set up with one 8 gpm hot skid and one 8 gpm cold machine, although this may sound like overkill the time savings have been outstanding and have already paid for themselves.

post-6071-137772429442_thumb.jpg

post-6071-137772429463_thumb.jpg

What a Change in Direction now.

In Arizona most units are on open trailers, we have no need to protect anything form the climate except the sun.

My fantasy machine would be mounted on a 18 foot flatbed diesel. I have three diesels but none flatbeds. My ford 400’s cant seem to get by a gas station.

I had a couple Chevy’s over the years and never really like them.

I pick up a couple a few years back at and auction. They have been less maintenance and less fuel to operate. Being a ford guy this is very tough to admit. Keep in mind I’m talking Chevy one tons Not half ton pick ups. Ford is much tougher than Chevy’s half tons.

I have still about 11 trailer units that I’m slowly getting rid of. I rent pw also so I will always keep a couple trailer units. When the trucks break down you can always tow a trailer.

If I lived back in the cold country I would want all aluminum trailers. No wood and certainly not steel. Of course all enclosed stuff to keep equipment protected.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice looking Guy, really good

We have used open trailers from get go. Much easier to work out of. We have air blow outs on all of our units and tarp them in the Winter.

Our new units this year have been built for versatility and speed. Each trailer is set up with one 8 gpm hot skid and one 8 gpm cold machine, although this may sound like overkill the time savings have been outstanding and have already paid for themselves.

Thanks guys. The rigs look awesome. Adam, too busy making money to modify the trailer? What a horrible situation that must be.

Yeah, mine does me good, but look at Guy's stuff. His rigs are f'in awesome. I need an upper rack like he's got for ladders, and I'll eventually go to a 5.5gpm machine, but for now I need to get things done and build this business back to where my old one was. Then we'll talk big guns.

We're plenty busy, but we're still in the beginning stages, so it's kind of like peddling a bicycle up hill. It's real hard work, but we can see the goal, and know we will get there. Right now our NEEDS are fulfilled as far as equipment, and when we crest the top of the hill and start rolling down the other side, we'll move on to the WANTS.

Use an enclosed trailer. Just like any other type setup there are pros and cons. For me, keeping it secure is priority since I don't have anywhere suitable to park it. Use a 5.5 gas unit so I don't have to haul water. 5.5 is fast enough for me and what I do, mostly single story residential. Not trying to expand business or set any records like I did when younger.

Every setup, like a boat, will have compromises. Need to determine what works best for you.

[ATTACH]20113[/ATTACH] Heres what I am running. storage galore.

For an open trailer that's really nice. I like all the lockers you have. It's one of the reasons I went enclosed was because of storage, but seems you solved that problem.

I was going to post ours, but i saw this is for residential, which we do not do

Jim, its actually for both residential and commercial. I have mine up and I do both as well..... actually as I do more commercial I find myself doing less residential but I still keep an open mind. So bust out the beast.

Hello from Montana - recently found this site and wanted to chime in as well. In business since 1994 and mainly doing new construction cleanup, masonry and concrete cleaning, house washing and some graffiti removal. Here's a few pictures of our setup.post-11469-137772462859_thumb.jpg. We use HydroTek industrial washers and have found them to be incredible machines.:nevreness:

post-11469-137772462824_thumb.jpg

Hello from Montana - recently found this site and wanted to chime in as well. In business since 1994 and mainly doing new construction cleanup, masonry and concrete cleaning, house washing and some graffiti removal. Here's a few pictures of our setup.[ATTACH]20235[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20236[/ATTACH]. We use HydroTek industrial washers and have found them to be incredible machines.:nevreness:

Well that's definitely one of the biggest trailers I've seen. Got any inside pictures?

PS: Please fill out your signature it's one of our rules here on The GrimeScene. Thank you and glad to have you.

[ATTACH]20240[/ATTACH]this is my first rig, so don't razz me about the Northstar please. It has made my investment back in only 7 months.

post-11259-137772463009_thumb.jpg

Jim, its actually for both residential and commercial. I have mine up and I do both as well..... actually as I do more commercial I find myself doing less residential but I still keep an open mind. So bust out the beast.

Ok,

Here are some photos...

Our First trailer. Built in 1988, modified in 1990. Raised PSI to 4,000. Increased GPM's and most of all, raised BTU's to 700,000. At this time, no manufacture was offering these spec's. I remember I had to sign a release form for the modifications.

1sttrailer_zps7782cff8.png

Our second trailer custom:

Our first attempt with Hydraulics. Had issues with the balancing of the flow.

a34a31e4-62ef-45c1-8388-b7e2fef87494_zpsf56dd86d.jpg

Our Third Trailer Custom:

Increase flow ratio of Hydraulics. Hired two Hydraulic Engineers to solve Hydraulics issues from previous model.

44ae315b.jpg

Added a lift crane for lifting the Turbo twisters onto second level of platform. Had to consider height since everything had to be under 6'6"

476f8dee.jpg

Edited by Jim Gamble
added platform and two photos

Here is my rig! The dakota pulls the trailer good, but a bigger truck would pull it better.. Here's an inside shot of the trailer as well.

[ATTACH]20258[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20259[/ATTACH]

What's the little black box?