Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

Poll: What type of pressure washing rig do you use?

What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?  

618 members have voted

1. 1. What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?

• Trailer Mounted
    • Portable Gas
    • Portable Electric
    • Truck or Van Mounted
    • Other

Question

Hi, I was just looking to see what type of pressure washer you guys use - Portable pressure washer , Trailer mounted rig, Box van/ truck mounted, or other.

I have a trailer mounted rig (delco 5.5gpm hot water) with 525 gallon tank, and I also have a portable 13hp 4gpm cold machine. I've been thinking lately, I do mostly house washing and decks, I usually pull my 18 foot pressure washing trailer. For most, if not all my jobs, I could just use the portable 13hp pressure washer. Do most you guys have trailer rigs, or just use a portable pressure washer?

I'm actually thinking of just selling the whole trailer mounted rig, and keeping my portable 13hp 4gpm machine, x jet, nozzles, wand, chemicals, ladder and just using it. Its kind of a pain to lug around a 18 foot trailer and back into some tight places, not to mention the extra wear on the truck, and decreased fuel milage. What do you guys think? Sell it or keep it? I know its nice to have 5.5gpm and the hot water, but I just don't seem to do a lot of concrete cleaning where I need the hot water.

Thanks, Matt

174 answers to this question

Hey No sweat Dan. I just bought this 350 0n ebay for $30,000. This is the only reason why I'm selling my Dodge...now my wife gets that dinning room set she always wanted which cost about the price I'm selling my Dodge for..Got to please the boss every now and then:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280040108180&rd=1,1

Now you see what that Dodge is worth = a table and chairs...lol. I hear ya on keepin' the boss happy.

By the way, that is one sweet truck. Only saw one Amarillo around here but I just checked it out real fast since we were in a parking lot, didn't want anybody to think I was a crook or something. The 6.0 diesel has tons of power too, especially if you add little toys. :vroom:

Dan

Danster,

One of mine is 2000 f350 with the psd. I just got done putting the banks brake and six gun tuner on it. Man what a differance it makes, well worth the money the truck is now has PLENTY of go and whoa.

A friend of mine is a distributor for banks products an beats everybodys prices, and he knows what works and what doesn't. He souped his own truck up and is over 600 HP and unbelievable torque. He blows away Corvettes at the light and leaves them in a black cloud of exhaust at the light!!

Right Now we have a 2750 psi @ 3gpm in Our Blue Van that we use on big Hood Cleanings where we need 2 machines its got a 225 degree homemade hotbox on it.. We also have a 3500 psi @4gpm Whitco Hot water unit on a 5x9 trailer but soon will be mounted on a flatbed truck ...

I have a 24' enclosed goose neck trailer with a 25hp 0nan motor a General pump a hot box a seperated off a Landa skid unit. And a 5.5hp diaprahm pump we use to apply some house wash and roof wash chemicals. Lots of cabinet space to store spare parts and wands. Two 100 gal tanks for water we had made to take up less space

I run three 4gpm 4000psi protable cold water gas units with Cat, GP, and AR pumps. (AR sucks). These are kept in two large Wells Cargo trailers and pulled with a 3/4 Chevy pickup. The set up works well for me because I can use the trailer(s) for hauling other things if I need to. The truck is used for pulling the boat to the lake on weekends (if I have the time off) and plowing snow in the winter.

I run a half gal a minute to 10 gal variable speed home made 5000 psi variable ( down to 200 psi) 320 degree heated power scubber, vaporisor steam pressure cleaner. ??? Is there ONE ? this is what I need ,,,,

Well I found the opportunity to run two tanks of fuel through my big 5.6 gal cold rig today and learned what chicken tracks really means...

...I didn't put the right chemicals in the truck.

Still learning, and not afraid to admit it!

r

I got a portable honda 13hp, 4000psi, 3.5gpm direct drive CAT pump. Cold water. It sits in the back of ranger. I'd say 99% Residential. But it gets me through a few commercial jobs...accouple restrants and appartment complexes. I would love to get a 5.5gpm hot water unit.

Considered open rigs, but once I thought it all through, for me, the choice to go with Enclosed Trailers was clear. What I use:

5' X 10' Enclosed w/Two 13hp 4gpm "Big Box" Cold Water Machines

7' X 14' Enclosed w/One 27hp 8gpm Hot and Mighty Hot Water Machine

Having good reels and reel placement is crucial for saving time. Also, use your rig for a season. Then, if you have extra space above your machines, get some lumber and custom-build some basic interior framing / shelving to hold wands, cleaner, tool box, nozzle kit, etc. Get it off the wet floor! To that point, to save your floor, add some rubber matting.

The four reasons I prefer Enclosed Trailers:

-Protects equipment from elements (still gotta winterize though)

-Protects equipment from theft (get a good lock)

-When it gets messy inside, rig still looks professional on the outside

-Provides four-sided billboard for advertising

Best wishes to all you guys and gals out there cleaning up this world.

I just got my 4gpm/4000psi rig from Bob and it will be in my truck bed w/camper shell. I am still working out the logistics of where to put the reels, chems, etc for easy access and workability.

I only wish I had found this site and the PT site sooner...

Trailers worked well back when it was just me but as we added employees the trailer thing wasn't going over well.

Started with a 16' landscape trailer - then went to an enclosed 16' and narrowed that to a cargo van pulling the trailer. Since we went all cold water (wood care and resi services) everything is now contained in the vehicle and we pull hoses only. Our E250 is a one man setup while the GMC3500 Box and E350 Box are both two man trucks. This year I'm hoping to get a "pressure washing" truck together for commercial work and some residential houses and concrete.

I still pull the 16' enclosed on occasion for scaffolding, materials or haul out debris but thats about it. I had a guy take the trailer through a McD's drive through and wipe out the intercoms and that was the end of that.

I'm just starting off with a 3800psi / 4gpm cold / 13hp Honda and getting a 125 gal tank all going in the back of the truck. Need to get some hose reels. (going with the m5 xjet too)I've done told the wife that all proceeds this year are going into a trailor unit next year w/ hot water. Like the other guy said, "wished I had found this sight sooner", but glade I did anyway. I'm targeting resi and hope to get 5 conv stores that a family menber is DM for. Wished I knew what to charge for those. Get those I'm getting a 20" surface cleaner.

Kenworth T800 flatbed with 2 Direct Drive 4k psi 4gpm cold water pumps. 1 belt drive 5k psi 5.5gpm hot water pump. 1,000 gal. of water. 140 gal. of misc. chemicals. Water reclaim system, IR air compressor, and Miller welder/generator. Trailer rig for backup and small jobs with 600 gal. of water and 2 direct drive 4k psi 4gpm pumps, one hot, one cold.

We have two enclosed trailer rigs (1 - 16'; 1 - 10'), both equipped with 3,800 psi, 5.5 GPM hot water skids. Each rig also has a 3,500 psi, 4.0 GPM cold water cart. The cold water carts are used the majority of the time for deck or siding work. Hot water skids for flatwork. If it's a large siding job & we go with 2 guys, we'll use each unit in the trailer for time efficiency. The one major benefit we see is that if something goes wrong with one of the rigs, there's a backup in the trailer. A pain if you have to switch over to the mounted skid in front of the house if doing the deck in back, but better than pulling off the job & having to go back.

We started out with a hot water skid mounted in an E250, and a cold water cart packed in the van, but this didn't seem the best solution. If the van or the PW unit broke down, both were useless. And even if you pack a van carefully, there's still not enough room to avoid damage to equipment by stuff falling over and getting stepped on. We chose enclosed rigs partly because of our climate, but mostly to keep things covered & tidy. Also, having the ability to unhook the trailer if you have to run somewhere is a huge time saver.

I will agree that trailers present a challenge getting into some areas, but you have to train properly for this. The longer the trailer, the easier to back up. We have a 10' trailer that we select for really tight, short clearance areas. As far as someone taking out intercoms in a drive thru (earlier post), that's just plain stupid!

We will stick with enclosed trailer rigs. I'm actually watching out for a 20' trailer with a rear drop down door. More room to move around and pack a water tank if needed. Besides, the big trailers afford a nice rolling billboard.