Sign in to follow this  
mdspowerwashing

Poll: What type of pressure washing rig do you use?

What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?  

618 members have voted

1. 1. What type (portable/trailer/truck) of pressure washer do you use?

• Trailer Mounted
    • Portable Gas
    • Portable Electric
    • Truck or Van Mounted
    • Other

Question

Hi, I was just looking to see what type of pressure washer you guys use - Portable pressure washer , Trailer mounted rig, Box van/ truck mounted, or other.

I have a trailer mounted rig (delco 5.5gpm hot water) with 525 gallon tank, and I also have a portable 13hp 4gpm cold machine. I've been thinking lately, I do mostly house washing and decks, I usually pull my 18 foot pressure washing trailer. For most, if not all my jobs, I could just use the portable 13hp pressure washer. Do most you guys have trailer rigs, or just use a portable pressure washer?

I'm actually thinking of just selling the whole trailer mounted rig, and keeping my portable 13hp 4gpm machine, x jet, nozzles, wand, chemicals, ladder and just using it. Its kind of a pain to lug around a 18 foot trailer and back into some tight places, not to mention the extra wear on the truck, and decreased fuel milage. What do you guys think? Sell it or keep it? I know its nice to have 5.5gpm and the hot water, but I just don't seem to do a lot of concrete cleaning where I need the hot water.

Thanks, Matt

174 answers to this question

I have a 5.6 gpm gear drive mounted in a 1 ton van with a bunck of equipment and my deck restoration stuff and a backup unit.

I have a hot water skid and a 4gmp gear drive backup unit in a trailer with my recovery equipment and a 325 gallon tank. we are puttng a filtration/recycle system in the trailer next week also. I will be doing a lot of work in the next few months where recovery is a must

Hey Mat, 90% of my clientel are trucking companies and we recover everything. What kind of recycle system are you talking about?

I am running a 3/4 ton van with a 325 tank, two cheap 10hp 3.4 gpm 3000 psi units out of the back. I pull a 12' utility trailer with a 12' x 36' mat and a 325 recovery tank on it. kind of a pain to go dump the water when it gets full every couple of hours!! I am putting together a trailer behind my truck and learning the residential aspect of things.

16' GMC Topkick with a 1500 gallon tank, 2 hot water skid units, and hose reels. I can wash about 80 tractors with that unit. I also have a F550 with 500 gal tank, Hydroblaster hot water skid unit, and a hose reel, it is great for homes and sidewalks. I can pull up, unroll my hose wash and leave most homes take about 1-2 hours tops. Plus I can fill my tanks while I wash for my next job.

7x12 enclosed wells cargo trailer. If it were 16' It would be even better. I have the upgraded 3/4'' plywood that I marine painted, and nothing penetrates that stuff. I also rhino lined the front (outside) of the trailer because it was taking a beating from all the stone lots I go in.

Inside is a NEW (just got it this year because the last machine broke down) Landa (16hp vanguard) 6gpm at 3500psi thermostated hot water machine. It's great to have the thermostat, but I'm still getting used to the 6gpm out put. I have a 275 gallon water tank, hannay reels, and tons of 'stuff' in the trailer. It not big enough anymore! I also have a 13hp 4gpm cold machine in my pick up that I use on decks when the water supply isn't a concern

I'm looking at a box truck that's 7x14. which I will probably make into my truck washing rig. But in the beginning it will be my 'everything rig' if I buy it. I'm probably going to sell the pick up and trailer to help lower my overhead.

I have a 8' x 20' Wells Cargo trailer, loaded w/ 2 x 300 gal tanks, Hannay double stack hose reels w/ 300' x 3/4" feed hose and 300' Goodyear Neptune 2 wire pressure hose. I have an Allison Iron Horse hot water skid @ 6.3 gpm. Also have a Steel Eagle 24", 6 different size wands, 36' Corress Wand, 40" Craftsman Tool Chest full of Tools. Thank goodness that the trailer has 2 x 6,000 # axles. Very rarely do I ever travel w/ both tanks full of water.

5.5 gpm 3500 pressure-pro hot water skid ,200 gallon float tank,50 gallon roof tank with shurflo.24" ground force.hose reels,ladders etc.all stuffed on 5x10 single axle trailer.that bounces like a basketball when rolling over speed bumps.pulled by 04 f150 with a 4 gpm pressure-pro backup in the bed.

I have a 24foot open tailer with delco,hotsy,hydroblaster burners custom made skids with honda,kohler,briggs motors all general pumps 275 gal tank adding another one or going to one bigger tank. 30 surface cleaner 28 surface cleaner 18 surface cleaner 600 ft hp hose 200ft low pressure hose 35 gal chem tank shurflo and hose reel for it. looking for space to mount a hose reel for couple hundred foot of fire hose.

I have a 24foot open tailer with delco,hotsy,hydroblaster burners custom made skids with honda,kohler,briggs motors all general pumps 275 gal tank adding another one or going to one bigger tank. 30 surface cleaner 28 surface cleaner 18 surface cleaner 600 ft hp hose 200ft low pressure hose 35 gal chem tank shurflo and hose reel for it. looking for space to mount a hose reel for couple hundred foot of fire hose.

How about a picture of this rig. I'd like to see how fast a 24' trailer can fill up with the equipment you need in this business.

I have an E350 extended van with a 2800/3gpm & 4000/4gpm cold machines with a 300 gal tank, 3000 watt gen, 16" surface cleaner, 100' hp hose on a rapid reel 50' coiled extra, 15' & 50' of garden hose, 12 gal shop vac, 24' ext wand, ext poles, brushes, buckets, cabinet w/ chems and tools, 2 sets of rain gear. I need the tank for the some of the fleet work which has no water supply. I need to seriously re-configure this truck so I can get a 3500/6gpm skid in there. Trailer I think is just not feasible. Can only fit two cars in my driveway and I am limited to one spot where my truck is. I like using the 3gpm for the fleet washing because I know exactly how many I can do with the amount of water I have. A second truck would be great but not in the cards the cards this year.

Hello you pro's ,

I have been reading what you guys have been talking about and I'm impressed with the knowledge that out there . Iam in the old dominion and reall just getting started in the industry . Iam learning and watching and the ear is to the ground so keep giving it up and maybe one day I will be able to put together more knowledge and advice , but for now I'am in the shadows.

Iam the owner of Family Power Washing (the little guy ) posted up in Fredericksburg ,Virginia . Iam loaded with a E-350 15' box trcuk (2004) w/ a Landa 5-3000 hot , wet steam ,.sweet operation for two man operation . It's a great peice of equipment ,with fire hydrant ready filler .cool design that we came up with .

4gpm 3500psi cold belt drive ,300' hp hose with 50gal float tank.100'garden

hose.30gal chem tank for downstreaming.100gal chem tank with duoble shurflo (60psi 1.8gpm) 200' 3/8" hose.

I do only residential washing and window cleaning ,this setup is good for that.Still have room for biger pressure washer ,hope will be able buy before

winter season.

Vlad.

post-238-13777216569_thumb.jpg

post-238-137772165704_thumb.jpg

I have big gpm increse, with 200' 3/8" hose 4' pvc wand and size 15 nozle with one shurflo i had around 1 1/4 gpm , with 2 pumps i have around 2gpm

To increse gpm i also have 150" 5/8' garden hose (home depot) i get almost

2 1/2gal whit that, its just more heavy and dificult to drag around.Its good

to have diferent gpm's for diferent roofs.

Its looks like i can shoot chems fahrder to( whit 0 degree nozzle).I only did

two roofs whit this setup ,and i liked.Had to charge battery after each use.

Where you geting "y" i need that to,i am using 1/2" gray pvc "T" that prabobly will kill pumps sooner and some gpm lose. I dont have closer pics,

I used 1/2' hose from tank to pump, 1/2' hose from pump to "T" , 1/2' from "T" to QC and 200" 3/8' hose on reel.

Thanks to "Apple roof cleaning" for realy good advice.

Vlad.

I havent gotten them yet but I ordered 3/8 barbed Y fittings from www.systemacc.com. you have to call them to place an order, they were dirt cheap.They also carry other fittings to convert from 3/8 to 5/8 hose,so I loaded up.right now I run my 1.8 60 psi off of my 500 ccamp pressure washer battery.I've ran close to 80 gallons through it without killing the battery.think I'll need a bigger battery for the dual setup?

In Arizona most units are on open trailers, we have no need to protect anything form the climate except the sun.

My fantasy machine would be mounted on a 18 foot flatbed diesel. I have three diesels but none flatbeds. My ford 400’s cant seem to get by a gas station.

I had a couple Chevy’s over the years and never really like them.

I pick up a couple a few years back at and auction. They have been less maintenance and less fuel to operate. Being a ford guy this is very tough to admit. Keep in mind I’m talking Chevy one tons Not half ton pick ups. Ford is much tougher than Chevy’s half tons.

I have still about 11 trailer units that I’m slowly getting rid of. I rent pw also so I will always keep a couple trailer units. When the trucks break down you can always tow a trailer.

If I lived back in the cold country I would want all aluminum trailers. No wood and certainly not steel. Of course all enclosed stuff to keep equipment protected.

RON, I AM PUTTING TOGETHER AN ISUZU NPR WITH A ALUMINUM FLATBED. I HAVE BEEN POSTING PICTURES AS I GO ON ANOTHER SITE. I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD WAY TO GO STILL, BUT SHE'S COMMING ALONG. IT IS A 2001 4CYL TURBO WITH 24K ON IT. WHEN FINISHED IT WILL CARRY 2 WASHERS (8.5 @ 3600 & 4.8 @ 3000), 3 TANKS (2-200'S AND A 150), 2 SOFTWASH PUMPS, GENERATOR, LADDERS, 2 SURFACE CLEANERS (36" & 20"), 4-6 HOSE REELS, ETC........ WE CURRENTLY RUN A RANGER ALUMINUM FLATBED, BUT WE HAVE OUTGROWN IT.

post-2095-137772166654_thumb.jpg

post-2095-137772166657_thumb.jpg

post-2095-13777216666_thumb.jpg

Tim, Does your 8gpm machine push the 36" surface cleaner good? Can you walk at a good pace? I am thinking about getting an 8gpm 3000psi machine next and I have a Big Guy 28" but my 5.6gpm 3000psi machine won't push it that fast. I have to walk slow so I am thinking about the bigger machine.

RON, I AM PUTTING TOGETHER AN ISUZU NPR WITH A ALUMINUM FLATBED. I HAVE BEEN POSTING PICTURES AS I GO ON ANOTHER SITE. I HAVE A PRETTY GOOD WAY TO GO STILL, BUT SHE'S COMMING ALONG. IT IS A 2001 4CYL TURBO WITH 24K ON IT. WHEN FINISHED IT WILL CARRY 2 WASHERS (8.5 @ 3600 & 4.8 @ 3000), 3 TANKS (2-200'S AND A 150), 2 SOFTWASH PUMPS, GENERATOR, LADDERS, 2 SURFACE CLEANERS (36" & 20"), 4-6 HOSE REELS, ETC........ WE CURRENTLY RUN A RANGER ALUMINUM FLATBED, BUT WE HAVE OUT GROWN IT.

Very nice, please post that puppy on *** if you get a chance????

Tim, Does your 8gpm machine push the 36" surface cleaner good? Can you walk at a good pace? I am thinking about getting an 8gpm 3000psi machine next and I have a Big Guy 28" but my 5.6gpm 3000psi machine won't push it that fast. I have to walk slow so I am thinking about the bigger machine.

THE HIGHER FLOW WASHER (TSF2021) ALOWS US TO WALK AT A BETTER PACE WITH THE 36", BUT WE STILL CAN'T JOG BEHIND IT. WE HAVE USED IT ON OUR 4.8 @ 3000 AND YOU CAN TELL "BIG" DIFFERENCE IN SPEED. I AM BUYING THE 10.2 @ 3000 (TSF2221) TO TRY AND BOOST OUR CONCRETE TIME EVEN MORE. YOU WON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE UNTIL YOU TRY IT. WATER SUPPLY BECOMES AN ISSUE, SO THERE IS A TRADE OFF.

post-2095-137772166664_thumb.jpg

I have a 5 ton International truck with 24 ft enclosed insulated box. 2 units with 18hp honda's 4000psi / 4gpm's and a 38HP diesel Lombardini w/ 6.6gpm / 5800 psi. Probably close to 2000 ft of hose with us all the time and has an 1100 gallon steel tank (home made) epoxy lined. Also has a independant boiler so if you want hot water just plug to it.

Sweet setup and works well. But will probably get rid of the truck and put everything in a trailer. Looking right now for an Exiss trailer, 36 ft fifth wheel, triple axle with ramp door. I usually work within a 300 mile radius from home so I get better fuel mileage with my pickup than the 5 ton. Also looking for another F350 for towing the 34 ft flatbed when hauling manlifts or my other enclosed trailer.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thats somewhat of a similiar set-up that I had with the 24ft box truck. I have a 48hp Lombardini Silver Eagle set-up that I since put in an 18ft enclosed trailer. I actually had a larger trailer that came with this set-up initially but the trailer and truck where just to big to get in and out of peoples driveways when we do Residential work. I also have a bucket truck to pull this trailer along with a 350 truck.

I'm selling another 350 truck that I just had on Ebay..if your interested its item number 170046815681 The reserve was $13000 and it just missed it.. I'm going to relist it and drop the reserve maybe as low as $12000 + If your interested and since your only according to mapquest 675 miles from my house I'd be willing to sell thist truck for $11,500. This truck is loaded and the mileage is nothing for a cummins diesel. If your interested let me know..

But, But, But....its a Dodge, I want to get to my jobsite....:lgbounces .

Just kidding. I am looking right now but waiting, I am looking for another Ford F350, crew cab, long box, single rear wheel.

I like my 5 ton set up because sometimes I go in remote locations like logging road or industrial sites which the roads are not always in prestine conditions. I had a bucket truck a couple of years back but had to condemn it because one of the guys tried to push or pull something heavy with it and it bent the boom and loosened the base, never found out really what happened that day, but that employee has since left....ahum fired..lol. I have replaced it with a 40 ft scissor lift which is alot better for my use especially inside building and such (larger platform working space). If I need a boom I'll just rent one. I pick it up myself with a fifth wheel flatbed trailer I have. I am thinking also of getting a 45 ft boom, but only if I get a good deal like 15K or less otherwise I just keep on renting. These are very high maintenance machines and if your not mecanically inclined they'll cost ya a fortune at a shop.

Thanks for the offer on the truck John,

Dan