Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Deck in a Day

Question

I gave away a deck restoration for a charity auction. The value was supposed to be up to $500. The family that won was not well-to-do so I decided to give them back something they can use for barbecues or sitting outside people watching.

When we pulled up at the property, this was what we saw.

post-581-137772154697_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

The deck needed new hand rails. The whole structure was built wrong but short of tearing it down and rebuilding it I had to prioritize repairs. I replaced the handrails and resecured the rail system and ballustrades.

post-581-137772154701_thumb.jpg

I gave away a deck restoration for a charity auction. The value was supposed to be up to $500.

:lgbow: :lgbow: :lgbow: :lgbow:

That was mighty nice of you Ken! :cool:

Good for you. I recently dontated a residential house wash up to $250 for a golf tournament raffle prize that is raising money for MDA. I am be advocate for MDA. It will be nice to do that work.

Ken, did you use WTW on the Rail Road ties? Or did you just do the floor and handrails? It appears to me that WTW was not used below the deck floor level and I right here?

Railroad ties were cleaned with HD080 and sprayed with two coats of sealer. Railroad ties are treated with this black stuff to prevent rot and insect damage thats why they are so dark.

Railroad ties are treated with this black stuff to prevent rot and insect damage thats why they are so dark.

That's that sweet smeling creosote the put on those RR ties. :cool:

Nobody could expect those big pieces of wood to look any better unless you paint them.

Ken that job looks like a little more than a $500 job after the labor stain etc.?Something like this is more than worth it for the generous donation of your time and $$.

I'll wave your fees to BDA Assn.for that generous offer..;)

Not only is this a philanthropic thing to do, it is a very wise marketing tool that creates nothing but good will for your company and exposure for the service that you provide.

This is something that I want to try myself.

The satisfaction you get from doing something for someone else is hard to decribe.We do no charge house washes for those who can not afford them all through the year.Usually the elderly in the community or our church who have been sick or in the hospital but,we have also done a couple for families with special needs children who's budget is stretched due to high medical bills.

This year we are hoping to do at least 12 house washes for those in need.To date we have done 3.Sometimes it's not all about the money or publicity but,about helping your fellow man.

I dont want to take away from anything you did, I think its great but it doesnt hurt that the deck was right up on the road so that everyone could see your work. I would think you got some work off of that. When you do good things good things happen.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. I think you have to give to receive and it sounds like many of you share the same philosophy.

The homeowner's were very decent people. We must have been offered cake, cookies, coffee and water about ten times. Shane, I would usually get about $700 for an equivalent sized deck that involved repairs.

Morgan, you'd be right about it being on the road. I don't want to claim Ghandi status. This type of endeavor benefits everyone. Unfortunately that area has median income around $25k and house values aren't over $75k so additional work is unlikely.

Thanks again, I hope all had a happy easter. I think all of those yellow chicks have me in insulin shock.