Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

How much $ in gas per week

Question

I've been dropping a steady $120 a week in gas. That includes $100 in deisel for my truck and burner and $20 for the washer. Thank god I bought a deisel F250, If I had bought a gasser It would be $200 a week. My last truck was a V6 toyota and I'm getting almost the same mpg with the deisel.

26 answers to this question

You guys think fuel is expensive, over here petrol is .98p a litre so 4.5 lts to a gallon = £4.41 x say 1.60 GBP to USD = about $7.00 a gallon. And they say it still might rise even more:mad: :mad: :mad:

It takes everybit of $100 to fill up trk and machines to run.

I figured it costs about $6.5 to $8 per hr per machine(hot, moderate to high temps) running for fuel alone, at current fuel prices, excluding travel.

Scotts new truck only gets 9 mpg. My fuel is about 5 to 6 g's a week. makes me sick, so i dont think about it.

$5-6 THOUSAND a WEEK????

I run $100.00-$150.00/week for the truck, another $100.00 or so for the machines.

If you take the time to track and log the fuel you use in your washing equipment you can get a refund on the fuel tax you pay. Or just get a fuel card for off road use only so you know all of those fill ups are for your equipment. Just look on the IRS web site for form 8849 & 8849s or the annual form 4136. They are under the catagory of excise tax. You should be able to file in your state as well. I know last year I received about $4,000.00 back. It takes some time but I dont know too many jobs I can do for $4,000.00 an hour.

Nice tip Paul :)

Yep, excellent tip! Even for those of us who only use 40-60 gallons/week for the machine, it works out to several hundred dollars. Not bad for a form that shouldn't take but a few minutes to fill out, if you have good records as far as what you've spent for what. $0.183/gallon is what the form says, $0.184 prior to Sept. 30, 2005.

Make sure to check your state web site as well. Another tip is to break up your claim at least twice a year, then you get cash back instead of a gredit on your return. Remember you cah go back up to a year on your claim.

Jeeez, I didn't know how tiny my company was until you guys chimed in. I'm still working like a slave bangin out 2-3 jobs a day 6 days a week. I feel very unaccomplished now......thanks guys!! Seriously, though, I'm spending 120/week in gas yet driving all over god's creation and finishing 5-6 decks, flatwork and house washes. Either you're all pulling 20 ft trailers with v10's or somebody is exaggerating.

Jeeez, I didn't know how tiny my company was until you guys chimed in. I'm still working like a slave bangin out 2-3 jobs a day 6 days a week. I feel very unaccomplished now......thanks guys!! Seriously, though, I'm spending 120/week in gas yet driving all over god's creation and finishing 5-6 decks, flatwork and house washes. Either you're all pulling 20 ft trailers with v10's or somebody is exaggerating.

I believe Ron and Scott's numbers...both run several crews, and Ron has 20-something employees, so figure he's running at least 15 crews! Imagine your gas bill X 15, PLUS running the burner full time.

I forget you guys are deck sealers, PW is just one of your tools. PW is my only tool. My rigs run all night and day when out. They burn about 10 and hour right now. My trucks average 150 + miles each night. about 70 dollars per unit each shift.

Not Ron, he is barely making it, calling me up to buy him lunch all the time. It is really pitiful...

On a serious note, You can make as much money with one or two crews as you can with a bunch of crews. It is in the organization, traingn and finding the talent of each employee. That is really the secret to success in this business.