Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

What kind of "Home Improvements" do you do on your own house?

Question

So, since most of us in here make a living improving the way our customers' homes look, I think it might be fun to see how we improve our own homes! What do you do in your spare time - inside or out :)

Celeste

13 answers to this question

Ive put in tile bathroom floors, lots of painting inside and out, and landscaping. New house now and replaced all the doors, door handles, added a pantry, painted all the walls, (although i am pretty good now at getting my wife to do most of the painting, since she wants to try a different color as soon as were finished with one.) and am slowly reladscaping. it never seems to end with the things that have to be done.

I just bought a mew house, and have a huge hill in the back that I am going to dig into to build a deck, trying to figure out the retaining wall now, not sure what I am going to use for it. Any suggestions?? It is going to be probable about 6-8 ft tall. Should be a fun profject!!

So, since most of us in here make a living improving the way our customers' homes look, I think it might be fun to see how we improve our own homes! What do you do in your spare time - inside or out :)

Celeste

Nothing..my house is about to fall down:) My house has been neglected but not for long..........

Ripped up the carpeting and installed hardwood floors, including the interior stairs and all closets. Lots of fun, a worthwhile winter project.

Ripped out the PT SYP and installed ipe' on the deck.

Installed 36 drops of cat 5e ethernet and menupop.gifRG-6 quadshield over three floors within the walls and ceilings.

Ripped out two builders sliding glass doors onto the deck and installed Pella's. Finest and hardest pine I have ever seen. New Pella windows are next on the list, probably this winter.

Installed various low voltage lighting, mostly in the kitchen. Needed a friggin' building permit. New Jersey is a cesspool of waste and corruption. The inspector never looked at the wiring, just kept spouting off about his prized condo in Florida.

Installed T&G flooring in the 3rd floor eaves. Building dept. wanted to know if anyone would be living there. Being its about 130 F. in the summer, I guess not. Idiots. Did not have to buy a building permit.

I haven't done anything. I have paid to have a ton of stuff done. I did install laminate floring in the family room and one of the downstairs bedrooms. Installed wood shutters, removed and installed 20" porcelain tile, repaint, interior and exterior and a 3000 foot slab poured on the side of the house from the front walk to halfway back in the back yard. I am told the cabinets and countertops are next. Of course, then it will be done, until the next thing.

FWIW, my dad did a lot of remodeling when I was growing up. Problem was, I was the youngest boy of four, so I was always the grunt. Was never shown how to do anything. Now, I use it to my advantage.

I do absolutely nothing. My wife just see's picture's of what I do?? She does everything- she built a field stone wall , built a 200 ft cedar fence, blue stone patio ( Two) and spends every dime I make on the yard. My kid's can't play in their own yard because of the Garden Gestapo ( my wife). She take's inventory every morning of every plant , flower and to see if each bug has a Green card. She's comming Bye bye............

Everything. new addition, landscaping, extra garage, hardwood floors, plumping, electric, new bathrooms, windows, roof. Oh ya the basement 3 times thanks to my wonderful power company and cheap sump pumps. I do still have about 3 original walls though.

Steve if you have an exposed retainining wall there in an excellent 2 sided tumbled stone that is great for retaining walls. I used it to build an island type patio with stamped concrete. It was made by bend industries, and I think Unilock makes a similar product.

I do absolutely nothing. My wife just see's picture's of what I do?? She does everything- she built a field stone wall , built a 200 ft cedar fence, blue stone patio ( Two) and spends every dime I make on the yard. My kid's can't play in their own yard because of the Garden Gestapo ( my wife). She take's inventory every morning of every plant , flower and to see if each bug has a Green card. She's comming Bye bye............

Geez Jim - I spewed coffee when I read this - thanks for the morning giggle!

Celeste

I just trade house every few years. selling this one in one year, that will put me in it for two years, won't have to pay capital gains if I want to hold some of the cash that I get out.

I cut the lawn and rock on the front porch.

when I had my house built, i put all the hardwood on the first floor. I have done tile, concrete repair, drywall patch repair, paint, a little bit of everything. growing up I learned a lot from my dad while helping remodel our home. i also learned a lot from selling construction supplies for the last 7 years.