Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Restora

Question

I recieved a sample package today from a group called Flood.

The product they sent me was called Restora.

http://www.flood.com/flood/

I never asked for the kit. They are just doing some pricey soliciting I guess.

The product claims to revitalize vinyl and shutters. They claim it will be a great add on to upsell onsight.

I have had great success with carnuba ( for vinyl) through the xjet. Lots of shine.

BUT..... here's what got me..... They offer a lifetime garauntee on the product and could very well be a great upsell. They only offer %'s of profits with out actually giving you a measurment to go by. Probably because of different areas economies. So I do not know what an application with a lifetime garauntee would cost on top of my resi and commercial washes.

Anyone ever use this? Is it a good product worth the investment and the upsell? Most vinyl resi are not in upper tier areas 200K and below. So most already don't want to part with what $ they have. It's like pulling teeth.

Am thinking about any business extention I can add when I move to the Lone Star next month. And this seems to be doable.

??????

80 answers to this question

Thank you Beth for your generosity in allowing us to network through this wonderful tool. Hopefully someday soon I will get the opportunity to meet with you. I have worked with Celeste on a few projects and thank her for suggesting to me to join TGS. Have a wonderful day!

Scarter,

Nice to hear from the South. I'm in Ohio. We are users of Flood and appreciate your generosity. Helping contractors being more profitable. We work with all the great folks at Flood, Hudson and will continue to do so. They are making us a better company. Our experience with Restora, the most profitable product we use! Being a painting company helps, but most PW companies should be able to adapt quickly. If they don't mind the ladders. Hope to meet you soon. Keep up the Great work.

Mr Tegrey,

Hello from down south. I actually had the pleasure of meeting you when we did the first Restora contractor event in Independence, OH. I was part of the inside sales team at the time and actually contacted you about the event. You also talked to my counterpart Steve who still runs the inside sales division. Glad to see you are doing so well with the Restora product. It is a product that can really bring in some good profitability to those that want to add it to there arsenal of services. If ever down in South Carolina give me a call and we can catch up over some dinner or something. Continued luck with the Restora and hope to hear from you again real soon. Thanks for the reply and take care.

Hey Steve :) 'Bout time you showed up around here!

I can say first hand that Steve is a great rep to have around. Steve was onsite on the big Ipe project the first day we were there - I even have pics of him helping Roger out with some of the "spot cleaning" that had to be done :)

Welcome to TGS!

Celeste

Stephen,

Thanks to you and Flood I received my semi-gloss sample today. I too am in South Carolina and as you know the sun down here can trash a vinyl shutter in just a few years. Very impressive packaging. While I have vinyl shutters on my house they are not really that faded yet but my neighbor across the street has some of the most faded green ones ever. I am hoping he will let me test it out on them. I did use the cleaner on my shutters and after rinsing they look really good. I will do mine anyway as customers will see I have nice glossy shutters and realize that I practice what I preach if I add this to my list of services.

As for contractors using this product for shutters what are you charging per shutter? Just want to see a ballpark of what I should be quoting if I decide to add this to my arsenal of services.

Stephen,

Thanks to you and Flood I received my semi-gloss sample today. I too am in South Carolina and as you know the sun down here can trash a vinyl shutter in just a few years. Very impressive packaging. While I have vinyl shutters on my house they are not really that faded yet but my neighbor across the street has some of the most faded green ones ever. I am hoping he will let me test it out on them. I did use the cleaner on my shutters and after rinsing they look really good. I will do mine anyway as customers will see I have nice glossy shutters and realize that I practice what I preach if I add this to my list of services.

As for contractors using this product for shutters what are you charging per shutter? Just want to see a ballpark of what I should be quoting if I decide to add this to my arsenal of services.

I agree the package from FLOOD was indeed impressive.The MSDS packet and DVD were informative about the product and it's application.I also would like to know an average price for shutter restoration,as I see it the best option I can offer my customers with this product.

Keth & Scott,

It is get to hear you both received your packages on Restora. I am the contact Sales Rep for your market Keth and would like the opportunity to meet with you here in the next few weeks. I travel to Mount Pleasant and Charleston regularly. Lets meet for a meal or something.

Scott, I am the rep in the Atlanta market and am not sure how far you are from there but if it is feasible I would love to schedule a meeting with you as well. I am traveling to Atlanta next week Monday - Thursday. If you have a moment would like to meet up with you as well for a meal or something. I can also meet on a job site if that is better for you as well.

Please let me know if either of you would like to do a training session on the Restora product or any other products we manufacture. I can have one of my trainers come to your area and do an on-the-job training with you. Thanks again and look forward to hearing back from the both of you.

Whoa i haven't received mines yet....i think nobody love us in washington state...lol...j/k ....actually i used it once in our house my wife purchase it at home depot while she was working there...good stuff!!!

Steve I'm sorry for not remembering you. I'm sure as soon as I see you, I will remember you. Old age does funny things! The price for shutters, about what the market will bear. We try to stay about $15-20 per shutter. Depends on height and how bad they are. If you have faded and very dirty shutters and dirty siding, always clean the siding as well. Eliminate streaks and looks great. You will save problems in the future. We always try to sell the complete home. We are trying to sell some Winter work as well. Bring the shutters into our shop, clean and Restora. It would be great to handle about 1,000 per week! LOL We keep fives of cleaner and Restora on hand. The kits are great, but if ya want to produce ya gotta have the goods! I would like to order larger amounts next year. Hopefully we will need a low boy. One good idea is keep a sample shutter with you. You can show anybody anytime. Gas station, grocery store, etc. Keep track of your time for cleaning and refinishing. This is valuable for future cost. Thank You.

I spoke with Mr. Carter yesterday and he told me that some were getting as much as 25.00 per shutter.

I'd estimate that $15-20 is the most accurate range contractors are charging, and are being very profitable. It depends on the size and type of shutter, and what market you are in.

How long does restora last? Judging from the wet look it has upon completion, it looks like a house sealer or atleast a waxy substance. Will it still look lusterous the following season?

Jnoden,

The time of Restora is forever! It will never crack, peel or blister, *see product label for details. LOL, Seriously, I believe the product only fades away over the years, based on locality. Hopefully one of the Flood folks will verify my information. In the North where I'm located, I usually base in on about 4-5 years. Then we will happily re finish the siding again. In hot sunny areas, time would be less due to UV rays. Correct? Presently our oldest project is two years old and looks great. This House front is a freebee for one customer. Just to get future work with Restora and advertisement. Thank You.

post-2261-137772170897_thumb.jpg

How long does restora last? Judging from the wet look it has upon completion, it looks like a house sealer or atleast a waxy substance. Will it still look lusterous the following season?

Terry is correct. Depending on the locale and the environment, you're looking at about 4-5 years, although we've had it on some dark shutters for over 5 years in testing and they still look good.

It is not a waxy material, but an acrylic finish. If you are familiar with Flood Penetrol and how it penetrates into surfaces, then you could equate that with the Restora finish. On a properly prepped surface, free of oxidation and contaminants, it will get deep down into the surface profile.

In my area Restora just isn't cost effective for profit (added time for labor to apply) $58/gallon is what I was quoted at the only place that stocks it. SO we employ another method to revitalize the vinyl shutters. Looks pretty much like new when we leave. Its a nice add-on to a housewash...which some people want done once a year, even every other year, we are closely monitoring those surfaces that have been treated. Almost looks like a coat of armor has been put on all the shutter.

Yeah kind of like someone wiped a coat of armor, all over it. Quite an easy task if its just wiped on....we are all experienced at wiping

High luster is even easy to provide, but just returning the total color to the shutter just makes jaws drop.

Siding we just apply wax after the wash. Surface feels like glass months later. Just verified that Thursday, first house we did the "wax on" job looks and feels like well taken care of vinyl. That was done in April.

In my area Restora just isn't cost effective for profit (added time for labor to apply) $58/gallon is what I was quoted at the only place that stocks it. SO we employ another method to revitalize the vinyl shutters. Looks pretty much like new when we leave. Its a nice add-on to a housewash...which some people want done once a year, even every other year, we are closely monitoring those surfaces that have been treated. Almost looks like a coat of armor has been put on all the shutter.

Here too. Once a guy steps foot on that Ladder or onto the roof, our workers comp premium triples. The time factor and workers comp factor makes this a low margin service for us. No sense even trying to pitch the up sell if I can't make the same margins as the actual House Wash itself.

I like your method Gary.... An easy application that can be applied during the rinse. No hauling ladders to sites, lower WC premium, faster in and out to next job. Same added value but higher Margins. And to boot, it is residual. Selling it every year or two. Repeat biz is the key.