Sign in to follow this  
tony szabo

Correct Knowledge

This thread was a thinker, really got into my head.

I'm thinking the only qualification necessary in an instructor is the ability to instill confidence. If the instructor is confident about his message, as a student, you will walk away with a belief in what you've studied. All minds process information in the same way. First you think about something, then you believe something, then you know something.

Regardless of the qualification of an instructor the best they can ever hope to achieve is having you believe something. If you believe in what you study, you will have the confidence to apply it. It is only after applying what you believe in the real world that you come to know something.

So the question is not what is the qualification of the instructor, but rather what is the quality of their material. Where did the material come from? If I do a good job of teaching you bad information, it's not going to help you succeed.

If I compile a bunch of material that is readily available sit you down and cause you to believe it, you will have the confidence to go out and know for yourself. Certainly there is value in that. True, you could just research it yourself and learn the information on your own but what you really paid for was courage. You've put your faith in the same information, but it was the instructor that helped you believe it.

If I teach you something new and original, something that is not readily available, certainly there is value in that. The obvious downside is, the newer and more original information is, the less it is backed with experience. All new ideas eventually either die out or become common knowledge. The key here is in knowing what new information is a shooting star destined to become tomorrow's status quo and which is about to fizzle.

There is no real way to quantify the concept of "Quality" or "Value" when it comes to information. Information is subjective and will have a different impact on each individual. "Success" is another word that can't be pinned down. One man's vision of success is another man's view of hell on earth. It comes down to what is most important to you.

Some will teach you the fastest way to make a buck, all be damned but you.

Some will teach you to believe in what benefits the teacher most.

Some will teach you quality to the point of diminishing returns.

Some will teach you the key is finding joy in what you do.

Many will teach you a little bit of everything.

To boil this rambling bit of opinion down to a single statement I would say. . .

Go with your gut, if you get a bad feeling about something run, if it feels right stick around a while.

But that's the same advise I give about everything.

I'm thinking the only qualification necessary in an instructor is the ability to instill confidence. If the instructor is confident about his message, as a student, you will walk away with a belief in what you've studied. All minds process information in the same way. First you think about something, then you believe something, then you know something.

Regardless of the qualification of an instructor the best they can ever hope to achieve is having you believe something. If you believe in what you study, you will have the confidence to apply it. It is only after applying what you believe in the real world that you come to know something.

So the question is not what is the qualification of the instructor, but rather what is the quality of their material. Where did the material come from? If I do a good job of teaching you bad information, it's not going to help you succeed.

If I compile a bunch of material that is readily available sit you down and cause you to believe it, you will have the confidence to go out and know for yourself. Certainly there is value in that. True, you could just research it yourself and learn the information on your own but what you really paid for was courage. You've put your faith in the same information, but it was the instructor that helped you believe it.

If I teach you something new and original, something that is not readily available, certainly there is value in that. The obvious downside is, the newer and more original information is, the less it is backed with experience. All new ideas eventually either die out or become common knowledge. The key here is in knowing what new information is a shooting star destined to become tomorrow's status quo and which is about to fizzle.

There is no real way to quantify the concept of "Quality" or "Value" when it comes to information. Information is subjective and will have a different impact on each individual. "Success" is another word that can't be pinned down. One man's vision of success is another man's view of hell on earth. It comes down to what is most important to you.

To boil this rambling bit of opinion down to a single statement I would say. . .

Go with your gut, if you get a bad feeling about something run, if it feels right stick around a while.

Great, Great, Great!!!!

This is it exactly.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge people bring to this industry that is not realized due to discriminating factors such as # of years in business. Backgrounds that people bring with them into this industry is an untapped resource. TGS has a community comprised of a broad spectrum of experience. This experience translates into a well of diverse and yet valuable input which has the capability to influence the industry.

In short, we have some pretty intelligent people here and it shows.

Rod!~

Excellent post Russell I agree with you 100%. The job of the teacher is not to know everything, but to know where to find everything. It's a shame some people aren't open minded enough to understand this. I think we all have something to learn from everybody if we just listen.

"The job of the teacher is not to know everything, but to know where to find everything." - Barry M

I am quoting you here Barry inpart as this is exactly the premise of how the new organization is establishing it's infrastructure as we speak. The revamping of the ***** has and will continue to take both traditional and non-traditional steps in it's efforts to form an organization for the contractor.

Very few people in the industry today are in the "loop" of the model we are using to accomplish this. As time goes by the model or map will purposely roll out to different segments of the industry for further tuning.

What is this model or map? It is the business plan for the *****.

Is there one today? Yes - it is being circulated to consultants and business minded people outside the industry walls.

Stay tuned!

Time will tell the tale. At this point there is much to be done, regardless of which org you speak of, PWNA, *****, take your pick.

Best advice I can give to you Carlos, is hide nothing, make everything public, and above all listen to the members. They are the reason the org is there, without them you have nothing.

Beth

Beth you are so correct. This has been the stumbling block in the past - listening to contractors. A mechanism will first be in place by the ***** in order to capture the path we must be one through direction and position of our contractors.

Making everything public will be essential however making everything public prematurely will not be the course the ***** will take.

The ***** owes the contractor and the industry a solid solid step forward to show that we are indeed very serious and motivated to make this an organization for the contractor. Once that footing is established and it will be established, then the public view component you speak of would be most appropriate.

Much talent lies within the BBS Community but also much talent lies beyond it as well.

A classic sports Movie was "Field of Dreams" starring Kevin Costner. When I read these threads about orgs such as what Carlos has in mind with the ***** I think of that famous line in that movie that said "Build it and they will come".

I belong to the ***** and I plan on staying on board as long as the price is not astronomical for what the return is. I just joined the NYSPA - New York State Parking Association for a $100/yr to pretty much just market the logo at this point. I really want the ***** to work out because the industry needs or at least I need an organization that I can continuously market for my business that doesn't cost that much to do so. And if it was to cost lets say as much as the BOMA org. cost and it can prove to have a valuable return then thats fine to....as long as it can prove to be that valuable.