Sign in to follow this  
tony szabo

Correct Knowledge

Good post Don....so you know, I completely agree with you, just used your name as an example since you are the figurehead, and are new to the biz as well. Mo' power to ya, good job taking the bull by the horns.

Everybody needs to relax. sounds like me & my right wing freinds talking about politics.............Vote DEM in 2008

Have a good, fun & informative event. Who wants to come will, who doesnt, wont

I got lost around number 90 something. So all these posts could never have happened, if the question was clear from the start. I will start another thread to address that and come back later to add the link.

Scott K,

PWM??? You asked for it.

post-12-13777217204_thumb.jpg

Jon, I know I dont have the credentials, that why I have put the effort into getting people to speak at the RT that does.

You know something, here is the facts. I've listed the speakers, and if you feel like they dont have the knowledge you are looking for, thats fine. This is MY event. I have decided on who is going to speak, and what the topics are. This is a free country. No one is going to dictate to me who is qualified and who is not. It is your choice if you want to attend or not.

I talked to another contractor today, and he feels this has all stemed from the PWNA. He explained it to me basically that the PWNA feels these roundtables are taking money out of their coffers, and now they are on the defense because someone can come to my roundtable for 30 bucks, for some gas money and a hotel room and learn how to market their business. If (or it might exist, I dont know) the PWNA offered something like this, than the cost to get this same kind of info would be in the hundreds of dollars.

I forgot where I read it, but somewhere I read that Henry Ford was on the witness stand being grilled my some hotshot lawyer asking him questions Ford didnt have the answer to. Finally, Ford said something to the affect of Dont you know I can push a button and summon x amount of people that would know the ansewers to these questions? Thats the way I feel. I posted this before, but I feel I have several people that are only a phone call away.

I am new to this business, I am going into my 2nd year full time. From my first year to my 2nd year I grew my business by 400%. With that being said I feel like I struggled in marketing my business. My goal is to have my wife quit work at the end of 08. In order for that to happen something has to change. So in my mind I decided to put this event on and the speakers that I asked to speak more than graciously accepted.

Am I going to speak at the RT, yes. Am I going to lead discussions about any topics, no. I dont feel like I am "qualified" to do that. But I do know that I am "qualified" to put on one heck of a event.

Come if you want, stay at home if you want. But I feel this is the way the industry is going. New guys like me are coming on the scene and saying the old way is not working, something new has to happen.

So, does anybody want to join the "NWO" of the pressure washing industry? (for all you old wrestling fans out there) I can have Keith from KBK design us a cool logo.

Don,

NWO will conflict with the PWM.........lol.

Pressure Washing Mafia is my dream of taking the industry back from the old tired guard.It's not $$$ based in any way.

It just a mentality that we as contractors must adopt to push the beyond the whole ORG is who determines what best for the industry and us as business owners.

[quote=CarolinaProWash;89851]Isn't that somewhat insulting to the contractor who is sponsoring/coordinating/funding the event? No, not at all. I think that the contractors who are potentially driving or flying many miles to these events, absorbing all the travel expences (food, lodging, gas, plane tickets, & etc..) should very well know exactly what they're in for. Heck, you don't rent a $3.00 movie without reading the back of the dvd case do ya? You want to know (the credentials) what it's about and who's in it. I think we as busy contractors owe it to ourselves to check these things out. These Round Tables are not sanctioned by any big brother. I agree with that. That being said, we as individuals need to be informed so that we can decide on weather not we should even go. I certainly didn't ask for a resume for folks that voluteered to partipate in my last round table......won't do it for my next one. That's your decision, and I respect that. It probably seems like looking a gift horse in the mouth when someone is sharing info at a R.T. for free and you want their credentials. But, what about all of the attendees? I think that providing your credentials as a "speaker" at a R.T. could possibly make even more people come! Rush Limbaugh just gave a speech at the Warner Building a few weeks ago. It was sold out. Know why? Because of his credentials. These events are promoted on these bbs by our fellow contractors. If people don't have enough respect for what these individuals are doing on their own, maybe they should stay home and make up their own event and rules. Celeste I have the ultimate respect for anyone who is hosting a R.T. It is a lot of work. We must remember that respect is a 2 way street though. I think that the host and speakers should have enough respect for the attendees to provide whatever credentials are necessary. Remember, I hate Big Brother. I don't think that there should be an industry standard for R.T. speakers. Too many opinions and red tape. Once again, in a nutshell. Post or P.M. credentials so that the individuals can decide wether or not to come to a R.T. Win - win. Fair.

I got lost around number 90 something. So all these posts could never have happened, if the question was clear from the start. I will start another thread to address that and come back later to add the link.

Scott K,

PWM??? You asked for it.

Alan,

Thanks for finding the family photo.

[quote=CarolinaProWash;89851]Isn't that somewhat insulting to the contractor who is sponsoring/coordinating/funding the event? No, not at all. I think that the contractors who are potentially driving or flying many miles to these events, absorbing all the travel expences (food, lodging, gas, plane tickets, & etc..) should very well know exactly what they're in for. Heck, you don't rent a $3.00 movie without reading the back of the dvd case do ya? You want to know (the credentials) what it's about and who's in it. I think we as busy contractors owe it to ourselves to check these things out. These Round Tables are not sanctioned by any big brother. I agree with that. That being said, we as individuals need to be informed so that we can decide on weather not we should even go. I certainly didn't ask for a resume for folks that voluteered to partipate in my last round table......won't do it for my next one. That's your decision, and I respect that. It probably seems like looking a gift horse in the mouth when someone is sharing info at a R.T. for free and you want their credentials. But, what about all of the attendees? I think that providing your credentials as a "speaker" at a R.T. could possibly make even more people come! Rush Limbaugh just gave a speech at the Warner Building a few weeks ago. It was sold out. Know why? Because of his credentials. These events are promoted on these bbs by our fellow contractors. If people don't have enough respect for what these individuals are doing on their own, maybe they should stay home and make up their own event and rules. Celeste
I have the ultimate respect for anyone who is hosting a R.T. It is a lot of work. We must remember that respect is a 2 way street though. I think that the host and speakers should have enough respect for the attendees to provide whatever credentials are necessary. Remember, I hate Big Brother. I don't think that there should be an industry standard for R.T. speakers. Too many opinions and red tape. Once again, in a nutshell. Post or P.M. credentials so that the individuals can decide wether or not to come to a R.T. Win - win. Fair.

Point absolutely well take Jarrod :) I do agree.....it is faiir to all involved.

So how about the NWO with the PWM as enforcement! LOL

Yes I did. That's how I came up with the flux capacitor of a post. LOL

I bet you slipped in some poo and bounced that big gourd of yours off the side of the truck,didn't you?.........................:lol:

When I held a PWNA sanctioned roundtable I asked all the speakers about there credentials so I could introduce them. If Don doesnt want to do that its his choice because its his roundtable and he knows some of the people teaching there so with that he probably already knows what there credentials are.

The PWNA is a big believer in Roundtables as I'm sure the ***** is. We even do roundtables during breakfast most mornings at the conventions(I always had problems getting up for these cause I'm not an early riser..yet!!

Roundtables no matter if ther affiliated with on org, a bb or just on its own there all good. Maybe one day TGS can organize a bunch of roundtable right on this site..I would love to one day see to roundtables meet together..and guees what...if you can get them all to meet you can have your very own roundtable convention..

I had the chance yesterday to speak with Tony (author of this thread). I will not paraphrase or speak for the man, but this thread probably got a bit more passionate than he had intended. (140 posts in three days, ya think?) This whole topic brought up some good points so I am going to go attack Alan's thread.

10-4 Ken

But now things are moving in the right direction of speakers and educators that are giving advice at these RT's.

I had a round table about two years ago and had three well know vendors speak, because of the professional ethics and long term and knowledge of their profession, I knew they would be respected. We also had a Forrest Products Lab speaker of over 25 years of research speak also.

The event had 43 or 45? attendees from three different states.

One thing I did wrong was not focusing on more topics. We had some Hood cleaners that lost some intrest in the speakers.

Don,

What about trying to brand your RT with a name for your RT for the future.

A name that will establish a calling, if you will.....

The St. Louis wash Zone or The big River guys, etc.... This may help for future noterarity with vendors and newbe's.

Ok, everyone this is just a thought with NO motive just a idea? Don't tare me up on this one now. Trying to help here.

Tony

I like the way this thread is turning now. It's good for us all to hash these things out. I think that it's good to challenge ideas. I also think that the bar has been considerably raised for round tables. And why not?! There is always room for improvment in everything. I have heard both good & not so good about round tables. The good was always about the people that were there and the fun everyone had meeting each other. The not so good was usually about a topic that was talked about, or info that was shared that wasn't really that helpful. All in all, I think that all R.T's are successful to a degree and are very necessary to the industry as a whole. I guess what I'm saying is, why not make them more successful? I think that was Tony's original point.

Poor Don. He sticks his neck out to host his first R.T. and all hell breaks loose.

Don, I want to publicly thank you for doing this. You're a good man!

Tony, I want to also publicly thank you for bringing the subject up on the bbs. Although some people here might not have liked the way your initial post was worded, the end result is looking pretty good.

Change is often very uncomfortible for us, but it is necessary too.

Barry, you are a great guy. It's too bad that you got stuck in the middle of all of this. I applaud you for being a true gentleman through it all. Ilook forward to meeting you. I would like to hear about how you do the roof thing.

Tony,

In some long ago, forgotten post, I called it the Midwest Marketing Meeting.

Thats probably going to be the name of it, and probably will be here on out.

Jarrod, thanks. Your not kidding though. Its like a kid reaching for candy for the first time and gets his hands slapped with a ruler or something. :)

Sometimes it's not easy to come from different places and work together. Not everyone uses the same terminology or language, not everyone thinks the same way, and we certainly all have different backgrounds and ideas. But if we can all keep open minds and try to listen to each other, we can accomplish things together to make the industry a better one for all.

Beth

I have been following this thread since it began, as I have followed other potentially explosive threads on this and other bbs's, and I am struck as to the level of civility on this board. Kudos to Beth & Rod for running a classy joint!

Great thread.

I want more education because after 16 years I'm still learning. I Just would like to see the proper education. Whats proper? Its not out there yet. Standards and education all needs to be set to where we are all are on the same page.

I agree with being part time you still are a asset and could educate but some time the ones that hide and do not use their real name and offer advice and are gone with-in six months and try to do good but just don't know.

Someone may have already pointed this out, but.....

This will not happen until there is a real, valid, industry-recognized organization out there that represents the working contractor. That animal doesn't yet exist.