Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

why the heck do you send 2 people to do a 1 man job?!

Question

a lot of you guys have helpers or send 2 men to do jobs that 1 man can easily do. why do you do this? respond honestly and this will be a great thread for everyone to learn from.

113 answers to this question

And Another Thing, I'm Also Very Disapointed That The Site Admins Didn't Put Idiots Like Charlie In The Corner For Being So Disrespectful To Me.

Btw, My Rant Was Geared Towards Closed Minded, Disrespectful People With Oversized Egos.

Jarrod, don't sweat it, man. You have to remember you are talking to a bunch of business owners. In owning a business you need a certain amount of ego. The last thing an ego wants to hear is "you are doing things wrong." Take the dissention in stride. If everyone thought you were some bragging jerk on the internet this thread would have had zero response. I am saying this as your friend. Having met you and spent countless hous on the phone with you, know that I would defend you til the end of the earth if it came to that. But, you know, when talking about egos, you have to make sure you keep your own in check. You can't expect to post something on a board and have everyone fall at your feet and worship you for it. Three or four years ago I came to these boards and said "the X-Jet is a good tool but it ain't all that". Not only did I get slammed, I got banned from a board run by a "sharp dressed man". LOL, no hard feelings.

Being an innovator requires cajones. Everyone will tell you that you are a dreamer and can't do it. I appreciate your forward thinking ideas. That doesn't mean I am going to immediately change my feelings on a certain subject. When one gives me a challenge to my way of thinking they need to do so in a concise, intelligent, non confrontational manner or I tune them out. 'You catch more bees with honey' sort of thing. At midnight on Saturday of the SL Roundtable I argued with your ideas on giving estimates and scheduling jobs. As I approach higher volumes (predicting servicing 250 new customers plus my existing database of 450 this season) I am starting to come around and see your points. That's because the Jarrod I talk to on the phone or in person is not the tirading and berating guy that is posting messages. Ya feel me?

Guys, they don't come any cooler than Jarrod. He is dedicated to helping and asks for nothing in return. Bro, I apologize if my posts offended you or contributed to your anger. I do it in complete jest. Take a deep breath and start again.

Ken, you never offended me. None of my tirade was directed at you. I know you, and we have debated all of these things in person and on the phone on several occations. The difference was, there was respect and you were open to different ideas. I don't like people telling me it just can't be done when they have never even tried it, and I'm proof that it can be done.

I like a respectful debate, always have. I just don't like hecklers.

There are a lot of egos involved here. For full disclosure, I did not read all of the posts. from what I did read, there were a lot for personal attacks on here. No one is immune to them, and often if we are looking for someone to attack us, we will find it. At least that is my experience.

Just a thought. We are all in business to one level or another. We have all had our personal successes and failures. As long as you are happy with how your business is operating, you have nothing to apologize for. I do not have a secretary, unless you want to count my wife, I do not have 10 employees, or even 6 employees, due to choice, and not being able to find good people. I do know that my business is very successful in a very tough market. I have found a niche that works for me. I have learned how to capitalize on this niche and how to properly market it, and the most efficient ways to serve my customers. That is what it all boils down to, and what we all need to keep in mind.

Jarrod. I think you're out of line and maybe think about it, you started a lot of this and I could tell a lot of this was in Jest, but I guess you couldnt. Like I said near the beginning "What are you up to" A lot of people were probably thinking it too and then you just said we were all wrong , but you wouldnt tell anyone how you do things other than hire skinny guys!! You started the game but got mad when no one wanted to play by your rules. you should of just come to the point instead of just leading everyone to the slaughter

As for paying $500.00 to see you in St Louis, maybe you should try it at the next meeting and see how many pay. Nothing against you Jarrod but RT's are for sharing not charging. Dont quit your day job

I'm pretty sure a lot of these people who do wood and have been around dont need YOU saying its all an excuse

To bad you got so mad, I was surprised, just remember the hand you bite today might be a hand you need tomorrow Its to bad you posted on that stuff on your last post. But I know EVERYONE still knows you're OK......except maybe poor Charlie:lgbonk:

I'll shut up now and let the weak people have their way with you LOL:lgsideway

Come on now fellas, enough. Boys will be boys, and all that stuff, but put the dukes down and shake hands like real men. Russell Cissell and I got a bit "into it" a few weeks ago, but nothing like this. However, we resolved everything with a big online hug. Sheesh, we all have our differences and hot spots but I think this is a public forum. If 'ya want to go 12 rounds, try private messaging. Enough.

Jarrod has a very valid point. I do plenty of wood work by myself and I'm a two tennis elbows, cortizone shot infirm, chain smoking, beer guzzling soon to be 54 yr. old. Will be doing it again soon, as my college summer help does not start until the 1st week in May. Have I run the numbers in previous years? No, but I'll try this year.

Charlie appears to be a fine young man. At 19, he's starting his own serious business and is not afraid to ask for help and guidance. He sticks by his guns, seems very determined, and is not afraid to defend himself from more established authority. Whether right or wrong, that takes spunk and character. I'm sure he will do well and go far.

So ok guys, we like and respect the both of you. Now put the egos by the door and lets all help each other.

I have spoken to Jarrod at length, and I believe he has been misunderstood. Jarrod's intent was never to belittle anyone or their methods, but to make other think about their setups and way of doing things, as he is very excited about his methods. It was his hope that folks would respond with questions so that he could get a dialog going and begin to show others how he does what he does, which works well for his company. His methods are tried and true and making his company money.

I also plan to call Charlie.

Now I will also say that it is very easy for people to feel attacked. We all take pride in what we do, and we have invested our time, our money and most importantly ourselves into our businesses each and every day. When someone offers information, take it for what it is, an offer. If someone had asked you if you wanted a cookie, you would have said yes, please and thank you or no thank you, with courtesy and manners. We all need to remain courteous and professional.

Beth

I have spoken to Jarrod at length, and I believe he has been misunderstood. Jarrod's intent was never to belittle anyone or their methods, but to make other think about their setups and way of doing things, as he is very excited about his methods. It was his hope that folks would respond with questions so that he could get a dialog going and begin to show others how he does what he does, which works well for his company. His methods are tried and true and making his company money.

I also plan to call Charlie.

Now I will also say that it is very easy for people to feel attacked. We all take pride in what we do, and we have invested our time, our money and most importantly ourselves into our businesses each and every day. When someone offers information, take it for what it is, an offer. If someone had asked you if you wanted a cookie, you would have said yes, please and thank you or no thank you, with courtesy and manners. We all need to remain courteous and professional.

Beth

I'm glad you are going to call Charlie. he seems like an OK kid. I wish I started this biz when I was 19

Jarrod my mom answers the phone sometimes LOL I AM REALLY JUST MESSING WITH YOU DUDE. Have a good one. Still dont know where you find 6 skinny guys. The only skinny ones around here smoke crack LOL

Everybody is cool at TGS

Folks, allow me to share something I learned today. Beth did in fact give me a call after speaking with Jarrod, and told me some things that I wish I learned earlier. Part of my mistake in this thread was failing to call Jarrod when he specifically made the request that I do so. As much as I hate the phone, a simple 10 minute conversation with Jarrod would have informed me of the nature by which he has developed and grown not only his business but also his methods. (If I shouldn't share this, ill delete it Jarrod) Turns out Jarrod spend the first two years struggling with two man crews until someone informed him of a great new method to make one man crews work. In what turned out to be a God-send for Jarrod, he has been able to develop a business earning in the 6 figures. For that I commend him for being able to adjust and flourish past a period when many would have decided the effort to change wasn't worth it.

Sometimes its hard to make a judgment on someone based simply on some words on a screen. Granted, yes those words are often powerful and pugnacious, but the character of a man is based on more. A lot of us may never see eye to eye with each other, but that doesn't mean learning does not occur. Behind a screen, its difficult to decipher the moods people are in. Beth gave me a great example of how simply rereading what someone wrote and maybe stepping back a ways, can help you catch the point a bit better.

Also since people seem to be rather surprised about who I am, allow me to quickly summarize. Yes, I am 19. Yes that is really young. Yes, I know very little in comparison to y'all. Yes, this is my first year in business professionally. Yes, I'm in college working toward a degree. For now this business is open for only three months out of the year (summer). I live at school the other 9 months. On the flip side, I have invested a lot of myself into making sure my first true business is a success, and a value to my customers. Ive paid for everything out of my own pocket. I drive an old truck, eat in a cafeteria everyday, have limited pwing equipment. And my bank account probably has less money in it than most of you make in a week. Point being, I look up to every one of you who has done this and succeeded (including Jarrod). If all goes as planned, Id love to be able to pull a profit this year and reinvest in the business (and have some left for the apartment next year, haha). Point being, every single one of you is older and probably wiser than I am. Rick made a good point that yes I am determined, but I think sometimes I might take that a bit too far, instead of heeding to those who are well above my level.

I edited my previous two posts due to the poor attitude I exhibited while writing them. And so no one starts yelling at Beth for censorship or whatnot, I edited them under my own power and volunteered to do so. No posts have been deleted from this thread. I think that speaks very highly of those operating this forum, that they hold enough respect for everyone on it to work out problems. I have absolutely no personal problem with Jarrod or anyone else on this board. All of you have been instrumental in helping me prepare for my first season professionally (aka correctly) managing my deck restoration business. If someone (administrator/moderators) needs copy of my original responses I can send them to you.

Thanks

Charlie

Folks, allow me to share something I learned today. Beth did in fact give me a call after speaking with Jarrod, and told me some things that I wish I learned earlier. Part of my mistake in this thread was failing to call Jarrod when he specifically made the request that I do so. As much as I hate the phone, a simple 10 minute conversation with Jarrod would have informed me of the nature by which he has developed and grown not only his business but also his methods. (If I shouldn't share this, ill delete it Jarrod) Turns out Jarrod spend the first two years struggling with two man crews until someone informed him of a great new method to make one man crews work. In what turned out to be a God-send for Jarrod, he has been able to develop a business earning in the 6 figures. For that I commend him for being able to adjust and flourish past a period when many would have decided the effort to change wasn't worth it.

Sometimes its hard to make a judgment on someone based simply on some words on a screen. Granted, yes those words are often powerful and pugnacious, but the character of a man is based on more. A lot of us may never see eye to eye with each other, but that doesn't mean learning does not occur. Behind a screen, its difficult to decipher the moods people are in. Beth gave me a great example of how simply rereading what someone wrote and maybe stepping back a ways, can help you catch the point a bit better.

Also since people seem to be rather surprised about who I am, allow me to quickly summarize. Yes, I am 19. Yes that is really young. Yes, I know very little in comparison to y'all. Yes, this is my first year in business professionally. Yes, I'm in college working toward a degree. For now this business is open for only three months out of the year (summer). I live at school the other 9 months. On the flip side, I have invested a lot of myself into making sure my first true business is a success, and a value to my customers. Ive paid for everything out of my own pocket. I drive an old truck, eat in a cafeteria everyday, have limited pwing equipment. And my bank account probably has less money in it than most of you make in a week. Point being, I look up to every one of you who has done this and succeeded (including Jarrod). If all goes as planned, Id love to be able to pull a profit this year and reinvest in the business (and have some left for the apartment next year, haha). Point being, every single one of you is older and probably wiser than I am. Rick made a good point that yes I am determined, but I think sometimes I might take that a bit too far, instead of heeding to those who are well above my level.

I edited my previous two posts due to the poor attitude I exhibited while writing them. And so no one starts yelling at Beth for censorship or whatnot, I edited them under my own power and volunteered to do so. No posts have been deleted from this thread. I think that speaks very highly of those operating this forum, that they hold enough respect for everyone on it to work out problems. I have absolutely no personal problem with Jarrod or anyone else on this board. All of you have been instrumental in helping me prepare for my first season professionally (aka correctly) managing my deck restoration business. If someone (administrator/moderators) needs copy of my original responses I can send them to you.

Thanks

Charlie

Like I said the kids OK!!!

Charlie you live in the south you can make a great biz here, good luck

Man I wish I was 19

Good luck

Life is GOOD

Jeff

I sat in at the St.Louis Rt and listen to Jarrod speak about his methods of doing wood. It may work well for him but maybe not someone else. Hats off to him for finding his personal nitch.

The title to his thread is a bit of a ego thing and I may have posted to defend my methods and years of experience. We get up to $3.00 per square foot sometimes and do extremly large decks at times, but I will not post "why in the heck don't you charge $2.75 per square feet you fool". Because it all depends on just a boat load of factors.

I have posted in the past and it may come off in a negative way to some.

Aways have a open mind to learn, that is what needs to be done here, not "if you don't do it my way you will fail, type of attitude" Kinda what I got out of his post.

Jeff, the PW King of SC says:

Man I wish I was 19
Ain't that the truth, I'd give my left *** to do it all over again.

When I was 19, spent all my time chasing tail, drinking beer, and experimenting with various and sundry illegal substances. Studies were pretty far down the list of priorities. Have fond memories of those times long ago.

Here we have a young man diligent in college, defends his family honor, starts his own business, and writes better than some trash novel authors. That's almost scary.

Goes to show the younger generations will turn out fine, most certainly better than my addicted to gov't benefits peers. So Charlie, get working and make lots of dough. I want to collect my SS someday.

Jarrod found a method that works best for him and he feels that it could work for many others and he's willing to share that info makes him a real generous person in this industry to do that. Some people pop on these boards that we never heard of and right off the bat they want to get paid to tell us something we may or may not know.

With all of Jarrod's post I feel he's earn the right to take this to either direction...He's not a fly by niter business person or a fly by niter person with minimal post. Jarrod has earned the right to take this to any dierction that he feels best.

Charlie being so young took his hits like a man and he stood up like a man to take what he felt was an attack on him even though us old timers here know that these boards don't show any expression so unless you know the person like we know Jarrod then you can take some of these post wrong.(I know all about this with the past PWNA arguements when I was painted as a "Bad Guy" in some of the post).

Charlie you took it like a man and Just seeing how you reacted and then made ammends to make your point of view understood you are light years ahead of some of us older fogies who've been doing this business for years.

I'm impressed by your attitude and the fact that your willing to branch out in business at such a young age and also attending college. I wish I did that when I was younger instead of taking the same route that Rick Petry did.lol

Today I've been in the Powerwashing business 12 yrs, I started a secondary business on top of that and I'm still a police office whos has risen to my Union President along with serving as an Executive Board of Director of the PWNA Power Washers of North America - THE industry association for the power washing, pressure washing and pressure cleaning industry. Find Power washing companies, power washing contractors, pressure washing compnaies and power washing chemcial and equip. I've been decorated for serving this country in a war Zone in Beriut before you where even born...and with all of this I am truly impressed by your start in life.

Your going to do good in whatever you set your mind to..and I bet I wasn't the first person that has told you that..

Now back when I was your age and getting chased by the law and...well we'll not go there.

Welcome to our TGS community..

Oh yea that guy Jeff here the Condo KING is a screaming liberal just to let you know about someone here which doesn't make him a bad guy..so what he is a Hillary lover:lgbounces

You see I just broke Jeff's nuts cause I know he is not a Hillary lover..and I'm pretty sure he is not going to come over here and beat me up..Probably because he knows I got a bunch of guns......

Oh yea that guy Jeff here the Condo KING is a screaming liberal just to let you know about someone here which doesn't make him a bad guy..so what he is a Hillary lover:lgbounces

You see I just broke Jeff's nuts cause I know he is not a Hillary lover..and I'm pretty sure he is not going to come over here and beat me up..Probably because he knows I got a bunch of guns......

You cops are all alike, Liars just like GW & **** ChenneyLOL:groovy3: . I sure am glad I now have some cops as friends instead of the days when I was running from them, man at 19 I was fast. Nothing a good lawyer couldnt handle. If i just had all that money back, I'd contribute to Hillary's election party just for John........... I heard John T did her:kiss: :banana: Dont tell anyone he was suppose to be on her detail instead he was on her tail LOL. Now thats funny

This place is so funny, just like my in laws..got to love it

I sat in at the St.Louis Rt and listen to Jarrod speak about his methods of doing wood. It may work well for him but maybe not someone else. Hats off to him for finding his personal nitch.

The title to his thread is a bit of a ego thing and I may have posted to defend my methods and years of experience. We get up to $3.00 per square foot sometimes and do extremly large decks at times, but I will not post "why in the heck don't you charge $2.75 per square feet you fool". Because it all depends on just a boat load of factors.

I have posted in the past and it may come off in a negative way to some.

Aways have a open mind to learn, that is what needs to be done here, not "if you don't do it my way you will fail, type of attitude" Kinda what I got out of his post.

Tony, this whole thread started out as a way to help people, thats it. This had nothing to do with my ego. I never said or implied that if you don't do it my way you will fail. It's so hard to come across as myself on a computor screen. Please don't start something new out of all this with me. I think that I'm ready to start keeping my ideas to myself.

If you are the owner of your biz, the only tim e you should ever touch a wand, or stain brush is to train only, you should nrvrt be doing this work, unless you think you are only worth $10 !2 bucks an hour, I personnnally make over $150 an hour selling and marketing if you arent doing this you are screwed... but if thats your cup of tea go for it....

I do this work myself, and I personnnally make, on average, between $100.00 and $125.00 per hour doing it. I haven't been screwed yet, and don't plan on it in the future.

Im sorry if I SOUND BRASH OR HARSH, BUT 20 DECKS A SEAson and I would be out of biz. if you arent doing 50 -100 a month your sales or marketing or market place sucks/.... Im am getting into the consultation biz this year, but my price for 5 X 10 times your biz is well worth it...?

I charge starting at $ 150 an hour and go up from there ..

LETS GET YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTIOIN...???

Oh yeah, Rob, I'm sure there are just LOADS of guys lining up to pay you $150.00/hour to "train" them in your methods of running your business, which strangely, seem to change with every post.

I can think of several guys I'd pay $150/hour to learn from, but you're not anywhere near that list...

"if you don't do it my way you will fail, type of attitude" Kinda what I got out of his post.

That's not the take I get from Jarrod...but it IS what I get from Rfitz...

Jeff, you're my favorite lib. I never was mad at you. I know that you were just clowning around. I'll post more soon. I need some sleep.

Lib.....I'm a Compassionate, Conservative, Liberal, Communist, Fascist, Atheist, Devil Worshipping, Capitalist, Tree Hugger & a Damn Yankee living in the South( The worst kind of Yankee I hear) Get it right will you or I'll have to come kick your A**............... Just dont fight back...I cant take pain much anymore. Then you call me a clown too, now I'm getting real MAD:devil: :cool:

Man, am I sorry I spent today making money (on woodie crap) instead of paying attention here!

One thing I'm learning is that when someone here says to call, stop by, or whatever, they mean it. I'm reluctant to pick up the phone myself, but when I have, I have always been met with a warm response, and realized that online communication (typing instead of talking) magnifies (or even creates) our differences. So...some of you guys can expect the phone to ring (especially you LIBERAL heathens). Be prepared!

Now...it's time for a big group hug!

I do this work myself, and I personnnally make, on average, between $100.00 and $125.00 per hour doing it. I haven't been screwed yet, and don't plan on it in the future.

Oh yeah, Rob, I'm sure there are just LOADS of guys lining up to pay you $150.00/hour to "train" them in your methods of running your business, which strangely, seem to change with every post.

I can think of several guys I'd pay $150/hour to learn from, but you're not anywhere near that list...

That's not the take I get from Jarrod...but it IS what I get from Rfitz...

Mike I know you've always been fond of Rfritz, just admit he's your Idol

I knew that was coming Mike. LOL

Jarrod is a great guy. He has helped steer me right. I can call the guy at 2 in the morning and he would talk to me. I think thats pretty cool.

This wasnt a ego thing at all. He's just excited about how he does things and he wanted to share.

Hopefully the fall RT Jarrod is planning on hosting is still in the works. Him and I have talked and he wants to show people right on the spot his methods. Personally, I am looking forward to it.

Man, am I sorry I spent today making money (on woodie crap) instead of paying attention here!

One thing I'm learning is that when someone here says to call, stop by, or whatever, they mean it. I'm reluctant to pick up the phone myself, but when I have, I have always been met with a warm response, and realized that online communication (typing instead of talking) magnifies (or even creates) our differences. So...some of you guys can expect the phone to ring (especially you LIBERAL heathens). Be prepared!

Now...it's time for a big group hug!

Did you have a 1 or 2 man crew that is the question...LOL I crack myself up

You know I dont like to call people either, I dont know why, just dont want them to know how damn confused I really am:dunno: . I am fine when people call me

Come on larry we all know your one of those communist liberals. Want to talk politics?

Unless its the Swedish swim team or a bunch of strippers from the Doll House I'm not into that group hug stuff. Hey did you hear John T did Hillary Clinton?