Sign in to follow this  
jetstream1

What can 25,000 buy

Question

I have 25,000 to buy a new truck for work.I am working all the dealers in town

In 07 all the trucks start off in the 30,000 and up.I can get the a-z ford rate nice cut in price will get me xlt f-150 crew cab with 5.4 for 27,100, otd.

Found a gmc 2500 4x4 for 26,000. Or the new toyota for 35,000

25,000 just seems to be a low budget

61 answers to this question

I say let somebody else take the hit on the value for the first years. Buy a good used truck, spend the money to have it professionally checked, and buy diesel if you are going to do more than 20,000 miles a year.

Also, depending on what interest rates are available to you, it might better suit you to finance the truck, and let the money work harder for you elsewhere.

I always check ebay, and Used Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. for a guage on the market. Don Phelps turned me on to another good source for used trucks, but I've apparently misplaced it.

There is a great deal of good used iron out there in the price range you are talking about.

BTW, if you are going to use this rig as your business truck, I'd definately consider going no lower than 3/4 ton capacity. There are a bunch of super-duty (more than 1-ton) Fords out there not far from 25 grand. They can be a little mile-y, but usually sound.

Sometimes just googling the right search terms will turn up a decent fleet return sale or auction in your area.

Good luck, let us know how your search goes!

A 6x12 trailer is just under 2000 lbs 300 gal water tank and 2 65 gal chem tanks plus all other mis things some 55 gal drums I do like the gmc for the money I need to start going all over from gainesville to merritt island, orlando

all over

I have looked at ebay and used. I saw a sweet f-250 power stroke with 45 k for a 2003 not to bad and the selling price was like 32,000 Still on the hunt

just dont want to buy the first thing I see let me know if you know of any other good deals going on.

This from a guy who just stepped up to a 3/4 ton after driving a 1/2 ton for almost 5yrs(pulling a loaded trailer).Buy the 2500 you won't regret it.

We pulled the trailer with a full tank of water twice last week and never knew it was there.Had I done that with our Expedition or the Silverado I used to own I would have felt the push and extreme when pull starting and stopping.

Depends on what you're going to carry or pull. I would consider the GMC 2500.

He said he wanted a truck. ;)

If 25k is all you have budgeted, you will need to go used to get a 3/4 ton, and I would not even consider a 1/2 ton. That is just me. With a diesel, I would not even start to get worried about the mileage until you were north of 100k. I would stay away from the 03 and 04 fords with the 6.0 , but then, there are a lot of people that have had zero problems with them. Just have someone check it out, unless you know what you are doing.

This summer I bought a used '02 F-250 with 160k miles, it was used for parts delivery, and was an ugly green color.

Brought it to Maaco had it painted white for $450, looks brand new. If I get 20,000 miles out of it with no major repairs I'll be happy.

I'd spend no more than $10k, and use the $15k for something else.

That's just me, I don't want to be truck or equipment rich and cash poor, I'm too insecure.

I agree with Scott, minimum 3/4 ton.

Good luck!

I would love to save this money but the time has come to buy a new truck

to make more money.If you had to drive what i drive you would be looking to

as of now I run a 1990 f-150 with 120k on it .dont get me wrong the truck runs great and looks well too.I really do not want to sell it the truck has been good to me just my trailer is too much on the tow end it tops out about 55 mph when loaded.It has made me good money in the past 7 years its just time to upgrade

I would never trade $25,000 in cash for something that is going to depreciate. Buy used, spend the rest on advertising.

But that's not really fun, is it?

Spoilsport.

BTW, I agree 100%

You guys crack me up. I always look at what profitable companies do when they are doing something, because if it works for them, it just might work for me. They always buy new vehicles. Part of the reason is that they can't have someone looking for used vehicles all the time. But another huge reason is reliability and warranty. You can quickly go through a lot of time and money waiting on repairs.

The way I figure it is that if I get shut down because of a breakdown that costs me a day every three months, that is about $1000 in revenue, plus the average ticket of $300, at a minimum. So a breakdown costs around $1300. I would rather have a new truck, take the risk of a breakdown, which most everyone will agree that it is far less likely in a newer truck, and then also have a reliable schedule. It is probably jsut a different philosophy of doing business, but it works for me.

Another advantage is that many people, especially your typical target market, consider it a mark of professionalism to have a newer vehicle, instead of some clapped out early '90s pickup.

If credit is fine, then leasing new is way to go for a business. Newer vehicle all the time under warranty and tax friendly. Also, typically the payments are less that conventional financing. And yes, it looks much more professional.

Save cash for other investments.

Anyone who does the math alongside an accountant - will come to realization that leasing only works for larger companies who lease cars in fleets of hundreds - they just have the most complicated write-offs. We're small time guys - leasing doesn't work for us. I'll add to Ken's thoughts - buy two used vehicles, garage them in rental space, drive one - while the other is getting fixed. You'll still be money ahead - and don't have to worry about reliability. EVerything breaks down - even new - you guys just like to pad your egos with shiny new trucks - and my AstroVan tops off at 55mph - so I just cruise in the 'slow' lane - and so far have gotten to all of my destinations. I am much more worried about my stopping force, more than anything. And at 55mph - I am much less likely to get in an accident. And as long as your trucks are well taken care of and clean - I doubt most customers really care how new it is. They'll like all that advertizing, though, that Ken talks about!

I would love to save this money but the time has come to buy a new truck

to make more money.If you had to drive what i drive you would be looking to

as of now I run a 1990 f-150 with 120k on it .dont get me wrong the truck runs great and looks well too.I really do not want to sell it the truck has been good to me just my trailer is too much on the tow end it tops out about 55 mph when loaded.It has made me good money in the past 7 years its just time to upgrade

So sell the F150 and buy a 1990 F250 that can tow the trailer....

If it were me, that 25k wouldn't be going to buy a truck...maybe 5k of it.

If credit is fine, then leasing new is way to go for a business. Newer vehicle all the time under warranty and tax friendly. Also, typically the payments are less that conventional financing. And yes, it looks much more professional.

Save cash for other investments.

wrong wrong wrong wrong. Leasing is not a good choice for anyone....You get just as much writeoff from purchasing. Leasing is a scam.

This is an all-too often misconception.

You guys crack me up. I always look at what profitable companies do when they are doing something, because if it works for them, it just might work for me. They always buy new vehicles. Part of the reason is that they can't have someone looking for used vehicles all the time. But another huge reason is reliability and warranty. You can quickly go through a lot of time and money waiting on repairs.

The way I figure it is that if I get shut down because of a breakdown that costs me a day every three months, that is about $1000 in revenue, plus the average ticket of $300, at a minimum. So a breakdown costs around $1300. I would rather have a new truck, take the risk of a breakdown, which most everyone will agree that it is far less likely in a newer truck, and then also have a reliable schedule. It is probably jsut a different philosophy of doing business, but it works for me.

Another advantage is that many people, especially your typical target market, consider it a mark of professionalism to have a newer vehicle, instead of some clapped out early '90s pickup.

Kind of unrealistic analysis Scott. We're talking about vehicles that have gone through majority depreciation cycle. Thats a 2004 vehicle with reasonable low mileage, not an early nineties rusted out vehicle. Your second arguement also does not hold water. A broken down vehicle must be repaired whether its under warranty or it is not. Same amount of down time. Again, a 2004 truck with 45000 miles on it is not going to break down every three months. Today's vehicles, when maintained drive for 100,000 miles before accessories need to be replaced. Drivetrains and engines last for 200,000+ miles.

Comparing what anyone here does to a company that owns fleets of 20+ vehicles is again apples to oranges. Yes, DHL cannot take the risk of a single day of down time. They buy new and probably sell off vehicles with less than 50,000 miles on them.

It comes to proper analysis of numbers and being able to run and coordinate business schedules around planned maintenance. If you look at cost of ownership on a brand new leveraged vehicle compared to a three year old vehicle and separate the "I have to own new" justification because you say it "costs more to own a used vehicle" you would probably have a better grasp of from where I am coming.

The singular most important thing you conveniently left out was assett versus liability. You may have convinced yourself of a theoretical liability of owning a used vehicle but the reality is your company owns a liabilty (bank note) and will be paying for depreciation. That leeches net worth.

I do understand and agree that when you get to a certain size (maybe 10 vehicles) that are operating 5 work days per week non-stop its probably better to own something newer.. maybe.

Anyone who does the math alongside an accountant - will come to realization that leasing only works for larger companies who lease cars in fleets of hundreds - they just have the most complicated write-offs. We're small time guys - leasing doesn't work for us. I'll add to Ken's thoughts - buy two used vehicles, garage them in rental space, drive one - while the other is getting fixed. You'll still be money ahead - and don't have to worry about reliability. EVerything breaks down - even new - you guys just like to pad your egos with shiny new trucks - and my AstroVan tops off at 55mph - so I just cruise in the 'slow' lane - and so far have gotten to all of my destinations. I am much more worried about my stopping force, more than anything. And at 55mph - I am much less likely to get in an accident. And as long as your trucks are well taken care of and clean - I doubt most customers really care how new it is. They'll like all that advertizing, though, that Ken talks about!

The truck I just bought is 4yrs old 71k on the clock and still had warranty on the motor and trans.To get into a good used 3/4 ton truck with less than 100k miles you better be ready to spend close to $25K.

As stated before the difference in towing with a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton night and day.I'm never worried about causing an accident.I'm worried about some fool driving near me involuntarily involving me in one.

I don't need to buy anything to pad my ego.It's plenty big enough on it's own thank you very much.Everytime I hear or see that type of comment I have to wonder if the person making it doesn't suffer from truck envy.

Anybody know where I can buy a good used truck. I'll be purchasing a new or used this upcoming spring. Please not one that a little old lady drove to church every Sunday.

It's funny how a guy/gal can't even ask about buying a truck without getting all this crap.

Buy what you want and enjoy it! The internet appears to be too full of itself to help you anyway.

Enjoy life....It's short!