Sign in to follow this  
jetstream1

What can 25,000 buy

Question

I have 25,000 to buy a new truck for work.I am working all the dealers in town

In 07 all the trucks start off in the 30,000 and up.I can get the a-z ford rate nice cut in price will get me xlt f-150 crew cab with 5.4 for 27,100, otd.

Found a gmc 2500 4x4 for 26,000. Or the new toyota for 35,000

25,000 just seems to be a low budget

61 answers to this question

Truck envy....never heard of that one before, LOL! Heck, I think all the newbies - just go out and buy 30+ grand new off the lot 3/4 ton trucks. Y'all be too busy scrambling for work, and eventually lowballing just to insure you get work, constantly worrying about Mr. Repo Man. I paid $2800 for my '95 Astro over 2 years ago, with 130k on the clock. I do all the repairs and she runs like a charm. And I like knowing it's been close to 28 months since I've owned her - and will have cost me just $100/month based on initial sales. That $2800 has paid me back since a multitude of times - not to mention, all the homes I bid really cheap, because I didn't know what I was doing - didn't hurt me as much, because I wasn't paying a huge loan each month. And it left me more money for advertizing, getting a tandem axle trailer, and nice 5 gallon machine from Bob. And it still pulls baby!

Truck envy....never heard of that one before, LOL! Heck, I think all the newbies - just go out and buy 30+ grand new off the lot 3/4 ton trucks. Y'all be too busy scrambling for work, and eventually lowballing just to insure you get work, constantly worrying about Mr. Repo Man. I paid $2800 for my '95 Astro over 2 years ago, with 130k on the clock. I do all the repairs and she runs like a charm. And I like knowing it's been close to 28 months since I've owned her - and will have cost me just $100/month based on initial sales. That $2800 has paid me back since a multitude of times - not to mention, all the homes I bid really cheap, because I didn't know what I was doing - didn't hurt me as much, because I wasn't paying a huge loan each month. And it left me more money for advertizing, getting a tandem axle trailer, and nice 5 gallon machine from Bob. And it still pulls baby!

You still ask if you should do a $1200+ job for $400 so what has changed?

Where do you get the idea that everyone out there owes on loans for the equipment,trailers and trucks?I intentionally bought a reliable used truck because I can do without new,but I wasn't going to buy $2800 POS that wasn't designed to pull the rig we have.

Diesel all the way. I'm a huge Ford fan, I drive an F250 with a 7.3 powerstroke, the truck's a tank, but I've heard that cummings are the best in the new trucks, and chevy is dropping in Allision tranny's, so it's a hard decision

Don, you have been at the forefront of plenty of crap we have all had to sort through. What is self important is someone sitting on high trying to steer threads the way they think they should go. :lgbow:

You havent noticed the change in Don. He seems to have mellowed some lately (cool).

Don, you have been at the forefront of plenty of crap we have all had to sort through. What is self important is someone sitting on high trying to steer threads the way they think they should go. :lgbow:

......or a thread not going the way you want it to go.

Either get a sense of humor or pick up the phone, O' Omniscient One.

The post was intended to have a bit of dry humor in it, but you obviously think you know more about what I meant than I do.

Peace

Jeff, I never had a problem with Don nor do I now. I enjoy his posts and respect his knowlege and contributions to the industry. My issue was with his statement.

You know your just a trouble maker Fenner LOL

What do you drive for a personal vehicle, just wondering.

I want to get out of my 1998 Mercury Marquis (Its my estimate mobile) The dealer a couple towns over are selling 2007 GMC 2500 quad cab 4X4 tricked out nice with Diesel , Allison transmission, loaded inside and lift kit, sweet rims & tires and nice, real nice trim package.

Its only a sticker price of $66K, think its a good investment LOL ? My ego would love it. Man its pretty. I think I'll have to win the lottery to get that one, did I mention its prettyyyyyyy

I have a 2006 Altima that I lease for $230/month. Christine just got a 2007 ML500 a few months back. (You see who gets the choice rides). We lease all vehicles for the same reasons I wrote above about depreciation.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/club-house/9121-leases-vs-loans.html

and

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/tools-equipment-basic-maintenance/8826-cash-loan.html

(These are TGS threads)

Scott - that whole thread was aimed at customers that will 110% never pay for a $1,200 pressure washing job - so my whole idea was just give a $400 pressure washing job and call it a day. It would involve the same cost and materials as my other $400 jobs. It just wouldn't be absolutely the best prep in the world - but for someone who won't pay for the prep - I don't care. Anyways go buy an expensive truck - I will keep gettin my POS's.

The truck I just bought is 4yrs old 71k on the clock and still had warranty on the motor and trans.To get into a good used 3/4 ton truck with less than 100k miles you better be ready to spend close to $25K.

I've got a 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with 54k on it that I'll sell you for $20k today.

You don't have to spend anywhere NEAR $25k to get a decent 4 year old 3/4 ton truck. Heck, you can buy a NEW one without all the bells and whistles for about that.

As stated before the difference in towing with a 3/4 ton vs a 1/2 ton night and day.I'm never worried about causing an accident.I'm worried about some fool driving near me involuntarily involving me in one.

I don't need to buy anything to pad my ego.It's plenty big enough on it's own thank you very much.Everytime I hear or see that type of comment I have to wonder if the person making it doesn't suffer from truck envy.

I agree with Ken, and I don't have truck envy. I have the truck I want, but I'm going to be selling it. Why? Because I can't stand writing that $600.00/month truck payment, and the mileage sucks. $1000.00/month in payments and fuel. Can I afford it? Yes. Do I want to? Nope...

Where do you get the idea that everyone out there owes on loans for the equipment,trailers and trucks?I intentionally bought a reliable used truck because I can do without new,but I wasn't going to buy $2800 POS that wasn't designed to pull the rig we have.

The truck I had before this one I could have purchased for about $2k (it was given to me)..1988 Chevy 3/4 ton. Pulled my trailer great, with loaded tanks. Wish I still had it.

Why the changes? Just realizing my money is better spent elsewhere.

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

No Dodges for me.Just personal preference.

I got rid of 1500 series truck when we started the biz to free us from monthly payments.We used the wifes 7yr old paid for SUV until last week.I bought that vehicle for the family not as a work truck,In the last few months I have put over $1k into repairs and maintenance that I would have otherwise not had to do if we weren't pulling a trailer with it all the time.

I wanted another truck for the biz and truthfully needed it.Besides that I work my azz off and deserve a few things in live that I want on occassion.We aren't carrying huge amounts of debit and aside from household bills the new to me truck is it.I'm not putting anymore fuel into the diesel than I was into the SUV and we still have a paid for family ride sitting in the drive way that can act as a back up should the truck ever break down.

Jetstream buy what you want,enjoy the hell out of it and don't worry about what other think.I'm certainly not.I love my new truck.

And Scott nails it again, right on the money. Funny how so many expect to receive top dollar for their work, and yet they will not invest money in a top quality vehicle they both like and serves their need for durability and safety.

Many will bicker about how they will walk away from jobs because the price was not to the customers liking and they will not lower their prices and discredit their image doing work that the customer has scoped out, due to fear for their image, but they will roll in shoddy vehicles.

I guess if I was a 7 month a year washer then I may have to adapt that thought process.

You guys crack me up. I always look at what profitable companies do when they are doing something, because if it works for them, it just might work for me. They always buy new vehicles. Part of the reason is that they can't have someone looking for used vehicles all the time. But another huge reason is reliability and warranty. You can quickly go through a lot of time and money waiting on repairs.

The way I figure it is that if I get shut down because of a breakdown that costs me a day every three months, that is about $1000 in revenue, plus the average ticket of $300, at a minimum. So a breakdown costs around $1300. I would rather have a new truck, take the risk of a breakdown, which most everyone will agree that it is far less likely in a newer truck, and then also have a reliable schedule. It is probably jsut a different philosophy of doing business, but it works for me.

Another advantage is that many people, especially your typical target market, consider it a mark of professionalism to have a newer vehicle, instead of some clapped out early '90s pickup.

LOL, in seven months I guarantee you a company owner that understands selling beyond quoting lowball prices and working 60 hours a week and driving shiny new rigs can make more than most working 12 months. Are we now entering the realm of just straight envy now, Alan?

Are we talking business or sport here? My money is in toys I enjoy. I don't enjoy work trucks because they are , well work trucks. In 2007 I lost $0.00 to mechanical failure. That's only three vehicles but I'd say it shoots Alan's off-the-cuff retort to hell. Next.

Anybody know where I can buy a good used truck. I'll be purchasing a new or used this upcoming spring. Please not one that a little old lady drove to church every Sunday.

Just your luck a 1990 F150 with a 120 k 5.0

No Dodges for me.Just personal preference.

I got rid of 1500 series truck when we started the biz to free us from monthly payments.We used the wifes 7yr old paid for SUV until last week.I bought that vehicle for the family not as a work truck,In the last few months I have put over $1k into repairs and maintenance that I would have otherwise not had to do if we weren't pulling a trailer with it all the time.

I wanted another truck for the biz and truthfully needed it.Besides that I work my azz off and deserve a few things in live that I want on occassion.We aren't carrying huge amounts of debit and aside from household bills the new to me truck is it.I'm not putting anymore fuel into the diesel than I was into the SUV and we still have a paid for family ride sitting in the drive way that can act as a back up should the truck ever break down.

Jetstream buy what you want,enjoy the hell out of it and don't worry about what other think.I'm certainly not.I love my new truck.

I think I will go for the 07 GMC 4x4 2500

When it rains in Florida the roads become like black ice

My F-150 just can not stop well with the trailer. Last week came up to a lite

going to make a right hand turn and guess what the road was wet and I slid past my turn into the middle of 17-92 witch is a 4 lane.So after that one time seeing a flash wake up call.It not about money or looking cool

all about staying safe and not getting the pants sued off me.

Ill buy new and enjoy it and will not trade out in 5 years

The F-150 is a great work truck. Just can not hang with the 6x12 and stop good when needed to On week days I work from 8pm till 10 am

and weekends around 8 -6 7 days a week so safety is going to be a newer truck/ Oh and I need to fit 5

LOL, in seven months I guarantee you a company owner that understands selling beyond quoting lowball prices and working 60 hours a week and driving shiny new rigs can make more than most working 12 months. Are we now entering the realm of just straight envy now, Alan?

Are we talking business or sport here? My money is in toys I enjoy. I don't enjoy work trucks because they are , well work trucks. In 2007 I lost $0.00 to mechanical failure. That's only three vehicles but I'd say it shoots Alan's off-the-cuff retort to hell. Next.

Ken, I love ya buddy, but you arent the only one that knows how to sell or how to run a successful PW biz. There's a lot of guys out here with great biz's large & small and they got them from selling & hard work. What is your problem when it comes to shiny new rigs dude. I dont do a bunch of residentail no matter how much you charge. I make a killing in what I do and I need my shiny rigs, so I dont have to many mechanical problems. I hire guys that learn how to PW, not fix equipment. Plus it helps my company image

I know you are always talking about your great prices you get, but Ken your into different things, that make you money. Many/most cant be as pricey as you. Because PWing is their only biz.

Hell 60 hours i wish I had guys working 80 hours

Sorry Ken, I just sort of get bored sick of everybody talking like owning a shiny rig is a bad thing. I'm proud of my equipment, very proud that i can get what ever I need or want for my company.( I waited a few years to get them)

If I hear one more thing bad about SHINY RIGS, I think I'll laugh, then puke

Apparently the marketing gurus didn't get the memo. Most potential clients prefer a decent, somewhat well-dressed contractor in a nice vehicle over those that show up in beaters. Image is as important in this business as almost any due to the general public's perception of our field of work.

All other things being equal, which do you think the potential customer would go with?

If I work hard, I expect nice things to show for it as well.

I didn't make the rules, but I understand how important it is to play by them.

Here is the deal. I don't consider myself a marketing guru, a master salesman or doing things that much better than the next successful guy. When I read condescending lines of "some guys just don't get it" or snide little asides from one man shows it raises the fur, ya know? Christine has been on my tail all day so being in a bad mood to start did not help things. At least the Eagles showed some life today, that cheered me up.

Jeff, don't take it as I don't think you run a successful business. You and I have different mentalities is all. This business is not very profitable compared to the effort and work outlay needed to make it something that earns real money. Now, I mean that in general. I'm not saying guys aren't making a decent living but someone show me a PW'ing company that can sell for $1,000,000 or even $500,000. In the entire country they can be counted on 10 fingers. How many of you taking quarter million $$ salaries? I'm cerainly not.

Jeff, you are also assuming I do not have the volume of work because I price higher. PressurePros has 88 full deck restorations, another 100 maintenance clean and stains, 175+ housewashes and 40 commercial building washes on the books as of this past Monday. Thats two crews running full time 5-6 days per week. It ain't about how much I MAKE, or what we get in the northeast, we have discussed that ad nauseum, its about the industry coming up as a whole.

Don, where you coming from? Do you show up to do estimates in your rig? I show up in a new car, dressed neatly in logo'd gear (or at the very least in a collared pullover shirt). I speak articulately, my vocabulary is good, I am educated, I know what I am doing and I enjoy people. Where would a new truck or rig sitting in a yard or shop benefit me??? I'M NOT ADVOCATING BUYING JUNK. Where did the translation go south? Used means pre-owned. A 2007 vehicle can be bought used at this point in the year. Depreciation occurs over three years. Already stated this but I guess you gleaned over it. I'm talking about a 2004 truck with low mileage.