Sign in to follow this  
PWkid

All about spelling and grammar...

How does anyone really earn a bye....I have to say one of my pet peeves is misuse of the English language. But, I can't do too much about it, so I deal with it.

Beth

Hmm. Been an active, and I would assume a positive contributor to this site for over 5 years. For good or bad, a major co. and force in the PW industry, whatever that is. Not the only poster with improper grammar, spelling, and English skills. Yet makes his point.

IMO, Ron has more than earned a pass.

Actually, you should try to represent our industry as professional anytime you can Ron. Even at the ***, the last word is Institute. I am sure at the *** you make sure that everyone can Pressure Wash and are educated LIKE an Institute should be. I know if I would put my name, reputation, and livelihood on the line, I would make sure that the people that represent (including the CEO) the PRESSURE WASHING INSTITUTE or (Pressure Wash PROS) would show up at my Door knowing how to portray themselves as PROFESSIONALS.

Corrections in bold red... You are as much representing this industry as Ron is...

Mel,

Walk softly. IT IS SPELLED "livelihood".

LOL, you beat me to it...I'm surprised it took that long for someone to notice the irony.

I know I am not perfect and have never claimed to be perfect. Thanks Rick for going through all my posts in this thread and finding livelihood misspelled. I am quite sure that is not the only word that I have misspelled. We all make mistakes,and I would think we all try and learn from them. I don't think the misspelling of words was my point,or a grammar issue, it was the constant misspelling of simple words and the lack of giving a sh** about it. I did not think of it as an attack. It was more of an annoyance to me,with that being said, I will take Ricks advice and walk softly.

Don't know if Rick went through all your posts to find that one, but I didn't...it was your first post, and very amusing that the person who is railing on Ron for his horrible spelling and grammar got a few things wrong himself. Don't hold someone to a higher standard than you're willing to meet yourself. Granted, you aren't as bad as Ron, but fair is fair.

I can't imagine anyone reading these forums would look poorly upon the pressurewashing industry just because a contractor from AZ who is active in the online world won't take the time to make sure his posts are grammatically correct. I know Ron can spell, and write well when he wants to, I just think he gets in such a hurry he simply doesn't take the time to make sure what he's writing is well written. What I think someone might look upon poorly is the negativity and infighting that many of us have taken part in on these forums. THAT makes us look less professional, not whether we can spell. If I am looking for a plumber, I could care less whether he can SPELL flange or spigot...I want to know that he knows how to install one properly.

How does anyone really earn a bye....I have to say one of my pet peeves is misuse of the English language. But, I can't do too much about it, so I deal with it.

Beth

Me too...poor spelling, misuse of words, and bad grammar irritate me, and I certainly am not perfect in my own writing. However, as you say, I can't do much about it, and too often bringing it up causes the offender to get defensive, so I just get over it.

The only problem I really have with Ron's writing is that sometimes it is so bad that his meaning isn't clear.

As Mike's post demonstrates, the trick to comprehending the written word is to assume, for the most part, that a fair share of writers just don't know where to place commas in their writing. The spoken word is different in that we can easily pick up on inflections, pauses, etc. that portion things out for whatever reason. I often wonder if other languages are at all able to similarly play with words as the English language does. It been said the English language is weak that way though..

Thanks for the corrections Mike they mean a lot coming from you. Refer to post #47. I am not sure where this grammar issue keeps coming up. I will say this AGAIN it is not about GRAMMAR it is about misspelled words and not caring about it.

Edited by PWkid

Thanks for the corrections Mike they mean a lot coming from you. Refer to post #47. I am not sure where this grammar issue keeps coming up. I will say this AGAIN it is not about GRAMMAR it is about misspelled words and not caring about it.

Grammar is as important as spelling, if not more so. Move or delete one comma and the entire meaning of a sentence can change.

Ron called me and wanted me to look at this thread. I want to thank all of you for wasting my time. We all know that the sales, the really good sales, are about personal presentation. We really are not expected to be educated, nor are we expected to be successful by most of our customers. Theoretically, we are all just a bunch of hacks to most customers. Part of my schtick is that I can compose a sentence and that I do not pull up in an old truck for a corporate meeting, or proposal conference. I even try to appear clean and neatly dressed. It makes a difference. All of these diatribes about spelling, and grammar are useless on this typ e of forum. It is expected that this forum is not going to have perfect spelling and grammar, even though our customers may be trolling here. I think that it is more important that in official communications that everything is in proper order, and that all of our bases are covered. That is what most judge us by, because quite honestly, many corporate CEO's and their underlings cannot spell worth a darn, and rely on their secretaries to take care of it. I am certain of this because of the area I live in, and the people I associate with on a daily basis. Most have an income of over $250k a year, and many just cannot spell to save their lives, but they do know how to run a business analysis, and how to read a spread sheet.

Just my opinion. I think entirely too much time was wasted on this thread.

If no one else responds by later tonight, I will lock it. I want people to have a chance to dispute me. If I lock it, it will only be to keep people from digging it up and posting on it in three years, thinking it is a current thread.

If no one else responds by later tonight, I will lock it. I want people to have a chance to dispute me. If I lock it, it will only be to keep people from digging it up and posting on it in three years, thinking it is a current thread.

Can't say I ever support locking threads down. Might as well just delete it if something said can't ever be discussed, questioned, or debated.

I want people to have a chance to dispute me.

No offense BUT, for sake of my point I'll say that that is the silliest most self centered thing I heard all day Scott. This thread isn't about you and your post or your authoritarian giving of time for someone to dispute it. Since when should such have time limit? Since when are other posters involved here disregarded on how much time they would wish to give to their disputers?

Just leave and forget about your intrusion into passing say. I don't see B&R talking about lockdowns! How selfish of you!

Hows that Holmes for a dispute? :)

I would be glad to continue if it means prevention of another fiasco about rights of members.. Umm er, hey PTstate..ya gettin this BS?

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Beth

Wow, I guess "professional" has been completely sold out around here when a moderator can lock a thread simply because one of their buddies can't type in an articulate manner. It's called "spell-check" for the challenged and it's there for a reason.

These boards have become a desperate landscape for anyone that isn't a newbie. Too many agendas and politics for any of it to matter.....what a shame (or is that sham?).

Sorry, I can't speel ether yaw'll!

Lock it, Toady!

Yea but we know yer not serious Don. You would have it that a place you apparently like to visit and participate in fall back into archaic ways of baseless justice that offends folks rights? You don't really want this thread locked...well maybe you do so you can drag TGS through the mud abit.

Yea but we know yer not serious Don. You would have it that a place you apparently like to visit and participate in fall back into archaic ways of baseless justice that offends folks rights? You don't really want this thread locked...well maybe you do so you can drag TGS through the mud abit.

err, what to say......cheers???

It'll be OK.

If I was just going to lock it because I wanted to, it would have been done long ago. I explained why I would want to lock it, but in order for you to have plenty of fodder for your petty little diatribes, I will leave it open, and if you really want to be intellectually honest, you will notice that I was not the first one to suggest that it be locked. IN addition to all that self centered BS, if I really wanted to be an a-hole, I would have just deleted it from the get go, instead of just locking it down.

Edited by Scott Stone

Okay Don and company,

I have a question that I asked Don in a PM and I know he saw it, but did not have the courage to answer.

What are your intentions in the attacks that you guys launch?

If I was just going to lock it because I wanted to, it would have been done long ago. I explained why I would want to lock it, but in order for you to have plenty of fodder for your petty little diatribes, I will leave it open, and if you really want to be intellectually honest, you will notice that I was not the first one to suggest that it be locked. IN addition to all that self centered BS, if I really wanted to be an a-hole, I would have just deleted it from the get go, instead of just locking it down.

Who cares who suggested?. They jump off a bridge, you gonna follow?

Forget suggestion and excuses..leave and don't let door hit ya in the butt if you don't respect principles of free speach. You are surely mistaken about what fuels fodder when it comes to TGS.

for you to have plenty of fodder for your petty little diatribes, I will leave it open
Oh thanx for the permission oh mighty one... like we needed your blessing and commitment to keep things open around here.

psst, you seemed to be begging for a dispute so there ya go... enjoy Scott. :)

Don't everyone goosestep all at once now!

Edited by MMI Enterprises

every time I read a post here...I have to go back to the first one to see what it was about.

Since this thread has got so far off topic and obviously has become a thread to diminishes others character that post here.....Beth could you possibly lock it out. because I personally think it has it has no value to the pw industry

Gosh .... I am asking for a whooping...but since I am the guilty one.....

I used these boards for all the valued information and knowledge from all the pro's and novices in this business and I am fairly new on the boards so I have very little clout, just my humble opinion.

I have talked with many of you on the phone, emails and pm's and had the privilege to met a few of you in person.

But I always wondered, seems like some of you guys just don't like one another, What ever is going to happen when you meet in person.

When someone posts "good or bad" it reflects the one who wrote it.

I believe in free speech as much as anyone, but it is up to us to respect one another.

No one disputes grammar and spelling is important and the points mentioned on this thread, I imagined was well taken to the ones it affected.

My suggestion if you keep this thread open as a generic thread on grammar, spelling ect. but don't keep it open so other can continue to attack someone on their weakness.

This contents of this thread is an important one that needs to be discuss and I personally think it would be more beneficial if it was deleted and re-post as a new thread, I think a lot a guys would learn from it.

Would it be fair, lets say for the next 24 or 48 hrs if the people who use these boards to voice an opinion and let the majority rule?

Edited by alvisishere

1. This is a private forum, as such the first amendment to the constitution does not apply. Go read it, the government cannot censor things.

2. If you are trying to promote professionalism by launching into me with your childish tirades, you missed your mark.

3. I hate disputes. They make me sick, but, I also hate to see anyone attacked without a VERY good reason. I promised myself when I was a kid that I would not allow it in my presence, and now that I am older it bothers me more than ever.

4. You never stated the purpose or goal of your attacks.

Scott,

1. This is a private forum, as such the first amendment to the constitution does not apply. Go read it, the government cannot censor things. That said, the forum "" 'leaders' are to fill such shoes and provide actions related to leadership/judicial/discipline/inspiration, or what have you. In a real sense TGS has a governmental body...so what's yer point Scott?

2. If you are trying to promote professionalism by launching into me with your childish tirades, you missed your mark. Personally I can't speak for whoem ever you consider launched into you in childish tirade. Not only would that be improper due to your not naming such offender but I fail to even see such event going down. Perhaps you speak of something your dealing with in private pm? But anywho.. someones trying to promote professionalism here in an entertainment/personal dispute/attack Ron thread?. How dare they!. That would be an idiotic attempt in total contrast to the jist of it.

3. I hate disputes. They make me sick, but, I also hate to see anyone attacked without a VERY good reason. I promised myself when I was a kid that I would not allow it in my presence, and now that I am older it bothers me more than ever. That is something I can get behind and support. You and every other member should have such same ability to aire their belief or same belief if it not personal attack..that includes now, 24-48 from now, or 3 year from now IF there is something of record standing. In other words, if a thread is not to be kept clean, fixed, adjusted, deleted, etc, by the folks in charge from the get go (bnr, you, or any other leader) and left to stand as is then it is blatently unfair to members that they not be allowed to contribute to it. In respect to your apparent goal of promoting professionalism, such locked situation that you would have can mean something to onlookers. It can straight up mean that TGS itself as a whole stands by and supports whatever went down or whoemever appeared to have came out on top. Maybe that is not how TGS owners would like to be portrayed. Since it can not be proven that all members have had say due to fact that ya never can tell when a soul may speak up or when their heart may change and want to offer contrasting belief to their own priors, such lockdowns are improper.

Just clean up or delete what is considered attack early on would be my advise.

I supported your first post in this thread Scott and prefure that ability stays intact.

4. You never stated the purpose or goal of your attacks.