Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

This was Scary

Question

I stained a deck a few weeks ago and the other day the homeowner called me to say he found some over spray on his windows. Well, if I did, it was "my bad" so I told him I would be there as soon as I could to take care of the problem.

When I got there sure enough I found some over spray on his windows, but it did not look as bad as he described. This is a brand new house the owner bought about three months ago, but has not moved into yet. He told me there were a lot of problems in the house he was having the contractor repair before he moves in. A neighbor caught me in the yard and told me that for three months the contractor had been in and out with his work crews constantly and was wondering what was going on in the house.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but when I was there cleaning the windows I went inside to look through the glass to see if I could see the stain better from the inside.

The owner wasn't there when I went in, but when I did go in I could not believe what I saw. There were hundreds and hundreds of pieces of blue tape all over the walls and ceiling. I finally figured out that the owner was marking out what he thought were imperfections that he wanted fixed. I tried to find what he as marking and for the life of me I could not find anything out of the normal. I mean this was in every room, closet, behind doors, on top of doors, and ceiling. It would take someone days just to go around and pull the pieces of tape off the walls.

When the owner got back he got down on the hardwood floor on his knees and elbows with a spray bottle and a rag and started going over the floor inch by inch looking for any kind of mark or blemish no matter how small. By the time I left he had covered about five sf of floor and had little pieces of tape all over the place. He told me it was probably going to take him a week to go over and mark the living and dining room. He told me the house was still was under the warranty period where the contractor was suppose to come in and fix anything he found wrong so he was going to make sure everything was right before he moved in.

I have heard of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and have thought I have run into people with it before, but seeing this guy spending weeks and months in this new home looking for and marking out anything and everything he thinks is not just absolutely perfect like he was doing give me the chills.

I'm sure he will be calling me back for something as soon as he gets through going over the hardwood floor.

post-711-137772232201_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232209_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232215_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232221_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232227_thumb.jpg

39 answers to this question

Has he busted out the tape on your deck yet? If not then you should be proud of your work, cause if that guy cant find anything wrong with it then you must have done a great job.

We had a customer do that with windows we cleaned. He took photos and showed them to us on TV as a slide show, then went through the house and showed me each window and put blue tape on it. It was one of those cases where if you stood a certain way, and the light came through the window a certain way at a certain time of day you could see a small (tiny) faint smudge. In one case it was an exterior water drop and it had rained since we did them.

People like that are everywhere.

Be glad you don't have to take off all that blue tape. :lol:

Beth

Len when you said OCD you were not kidding! That's amazing.

I wonder how the builder feels about this. Is he actually "fixing" everything?

Were you able to get those upper windows clean?[/quote]

He took them out just to mess with the guy! :lgsideway

Were you able to get those upper windows clean?[/quote]

He took them out just to mess with the guy! :lgsideway

LOL. That would be awesome!

I'm going to buy stock in blue tape.

I think the guy is trying to get out of the contract.But thats just me being me.

I try to talk to people like that when I'm walking around the job and if it's obvious they are ultra picky my price doubles, just for the callback factor.

Were you able to get those upper windows clean?

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the contractor comes in and sees hundreds of pieces of tape all over the house. I would bet this contractor is about ready to give this guy his money back and tell him to go buy a house from someone else.

It actually rained me out on Monday after I talked to you so I went back on Tuesday with my extension poles and managed to get the upper windows clean. However, it was like the situation Beth said she had once where you could only see anything on the windows at a certain time of day with the sun just right and you were standing in the right place in the room anyway. So I'm sure he will find a little spot I missed and call me back.

Here are two more pictures. I really wish I had a wide angle lens so you could see more than what the pictures are showing. He was just getting started on the floor when I sneaked a shot of it. For the life of me I could not see anything to complain about on the walls or the floor. The other picture is upstairs. Look at the molding and walls in the background. It was just unbelievable.

post-711-137772232233_thumb.jpg

post-711-137772232243_thumb.jpg

I wonder if a court date has been set yet?

You know that's where it's gonna end up.

:(

Customers like that are the reason that a contractor I know used his company's line of credit to build houses- no customer draws. He built really nice homes for the area and only required a deposit to build it. They paid for it when it was finished.

He had a customer start nit-picking a house like this guy and after trying for while finally told the guy, "Get the @##$ out of MY house." Big argument until the customer understood who owned the house.

As he turned to walk away the nutball hit him with a 2X4. Customer is a big ex-jock and builder is a little Italian guy.

He turned back around, took away the board and punched the guy out then had his workers drag him out and put him in his car for the wife to drive him home.

The customer showed up at the office 3 days later (wife had a figurative gun to his back) and asked, "Mr. Builder, would you please allow me to buy your house from you? It's perfect."

:lol:

It's a shame you didn't see any red flags about this guy during the estimate. I've turned down customers that I think will be a pain in the a** for way less than what this guy is all about.

it's a shame you didn't see any red flags about this guy during the estimate. I've turned down customers that i think will be a pain in the a** for way less than what this guy is all about.

+100.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the contractor comes in and sees hundreds of pieces of tape all over the house. I would bet this contractor is about ready to give this guy his money back and tell him to go buy a house from someone else.

It actually rained me out on Monday after I talked to you so I went back on Tuesday with my extension poles and managed to get the upper windows clean. However, it was like the situation Beth said she had once where you could only see anything on the windows at a certain time of day with the sun just right and you were standing in the right place in the room anyway. So I'm sure he will find a little spot I missed and call me back.

Here are two more pictures. I really wish I had a wide angle lens so you could see more than what the pictures are showing. He was just getting started on the floor when I sneaked a shot of it. For the life of me I could not see anything to complain about on the walls or the floor. The other picture is upstairs. Look at the molding and walls in the background. It was just unbelievable.

Thats too funny,,,

In Arizona, there is a Registrar of Contractors that a customer can complain to, and I am thinking that I would tell the nut case that a. It is not a piano, and B. I have an enforceable contract, and to sue me, after I fully documented what every room in the house looked like, without the blue tape.

I have also been known to nearly come to blows with stupid truck drivers, too.

A Warranty for a house is usually for Two years and it's for issues concerning Settling. Splits and cracked walls and major repairs. Problems with a finish and it's appearance must be taken care when the work was done and thats considered touch up work. Not Warranty work!