Sign in to follow this  
desi

reels

I see reels advertised that are rated for 3000 psi. I use 4000psi Is this going to be a problem? Also, if I bolt the reels down to the trailer floor, do you folks ever have the problem of the reels ripping off the floor?

Thanks

I see reels advertised that are rated for 3000 psi. I use 4000psi Is this going to be a problem?

If you use that full pressure, then you want a 4000 psi reel. If you tip the machine down and never go over 3000 then those reels would be fine.

Also, if I bolt the reels down to the trailer floor, do you folks ever have the problem of the reels ripping off the floor?

Thanks

If you secure them correctly then they should not go anywhere. I drive with my hoses on the ground when doing long centers and that has never done any harm. I suggest going all the way through the floor whether it be metal or wood, and using fender washers for extra support of the nuts on the bottom.

Ditto to what Alan said. Exact same way I do things.

Also don't forget that it you use a pressure activated unloader, you actually get a higher psi spike when the unloader first activates. So you definitely need a reel that can handle the psi.

You didn't ask, but I have Cox reels, and can highly recommend them.

Ditto to what Alan said. Exact same way I do things.

Also don't forget that it you use a pressure activated unloader, you actually get a higher psi spike when the unloader first activates. So you definitely need a reel that can handle the psi.

You didn't ask, but I have Cox reels, and can highly recommend them.

The only thing i don't care for with the cox reels is they seem to rust easly. Hose track reels arn't as sturdy as the cox but they have a better powder coating on them and will not rust. If cox would just make a stainless steal hose reel, that would be the ultimate hose reel.

My reels are blue powder coated, and have been holding up well. Of course mine are inside an enclosed trailer, therefor not exposed to the environments every day.

In the picture, the top reel has 150' 3/8" high pressure and the bottom has 225' 3/4" supply hose.

I have to agree that my Cox reels did rust up faster than I had expected. I believe they only sell them in blue , but I got mine on a factory trailer and they are black, so maybe it has to do with a bad coating by the trailer maker.

Steel Eagle makes some nice looking Stainless reels, and Beth has some nice looking prices on them too. Check out the online store. When it comes time for new reels, I want some of these.

Strange, I have a cox reel on my trailer, and there is no apparent rust on it. And it is black from teh factory(?) Since it was drop shipped to me, I am pretty sure that it came that way from the factory.

Scott

always buy kit that is rated for rig you are using.....as down the line someone else may use it(borrow, work with\for you or you might sell it)and you could forget to mention it....safty first save money later....

any kit you get wd40 it a few times a year......nough z

Hello, yes we make stainless reels, we also offer standard reels with stainless plumbing. As far as the powder coat goes, we use a custom CPC process that when not scratched through to bare metal, should prevent any rust. If scratched to bare metal, just like your car or truck finish it will rust. You can prevent that by touching up as you would your car.

Where did the rust appear?

How long have you owned the reel?

We paint standard blue, but offer many custom colors.

You can also request custom pressure ratings.

We have Cox reels and with the exception of some rust,peeling paint and one of the lock pins breaking they have been great.We will buy them again when we need more.

Steven what kind of paint do you recommend to do touch up on the reels?We have the blue color.

Scotty's

Strange, I have a cox reel on my trailer, and there is no apparent rust on it. And it is black from teh factory(?) Since it was drop shipped to me, I am pretty sure that it came that way from the factory.

We live in arizona,(i dont have rust on anything) I think cox make and ok reel. I like hannay personally.

Cox is a lite weight reel and will rust and go away easier.

I have never seen the stainless reels cox makes. I looked at the site they look good.

I do not like steel eagles stainless, i will never by them again. they do not hold up in heat.

Cox hose reels are the best if you want a reel that is strong and sturdy. I've used all the rest (rapid reel, hose track, silver eagle's SS) and none of them perform as well. However, there is a problem with the powder coating. Mine have all blistered up withen a few months of being on my open trailer. By the end of the year they are ready to be replaced with new ones, only because of the rust. I bought 3 sets of them, I keep buying them because i like how sturdy they are and the ball bearings around the shaft. Yes I do down stream chlorine threw the high pressure reel and i know that that contributes to my rust problem. I have to buy another set for this season.

If Cox would use the same PCing process as honda uses on their engines, and garentee them for life, they could have a whole new line of reels and charge twice as much for them and i would be the first pay the extra $$$ because i would know that i have a reel that would last forever. The only thing that would need to be replaced would be the swivel once in awhile. I know Cox makes a SS reel but do make one that used the same gauge SS and the weight of their standard blue reels?

Where did the rust appear?

On the hand crank side and the core. The brass swivels also started leaking fairly early as well

How long have you owned the reel?

At the time they started rusting, about 3 months. I have now had them about 3 years. They are very durable reels and I like them very much, but the paint issue soured me.

Maybe its just me, but I felt that since they were designed as hose reels and are subject to being around water, that the paint would hold up better.

I have also had a problem with the paint blistering, but I have had it for over a year and it hasn't rusted any yet. I also have not had any swivel leaks yet, knock on wood. Its the only brand of reel I have used but I am very happy with it so far.