Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Healthy Power Washing

Is there something you do to better prepare yourself for the job?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is there something you do to better prepare yourself for the job?

• Work Out
    • Special Diet
    • Other, explain in thread.

Question

Power Washing of any kind, no matter what your cleaning can be a very physically demanding job and can take a toll on your body.

Is there something you do to better prepare yourself for the job? Do you work out? Eat a certain Diet? Stretch? Take a long bath? Anything?

31 answers to this question

Just drink lots of water while on the job if the day is hot and drink warm fluids (tea, coffee, cocoa) when the day is cold. A long hot shower and half hour of stretching is good after a day of heavy climbing (when I do roofs).

I work out a minimum of 3 days a week, and never do a heavy leg workout before the day of a big job. Gettiing a good nights rest is a great help in making sure you are ready for a hard days work. Make sure you drink plenty of water the day before working out in the heat, because starting a job already dehydrated is nothing but trouble. I also read up on this great information highway on anything new I think I may encounter on the job. Thanks again for all the help.

John

I do high rep resistance training- this keeps my slender but athletic body in prime PW shape. It also keeps the pretty little house wife's calling...LOL and some men,,,,

LOL. Funny thread.

I also work out 3 to 5 days a week. I stretch 20 minutes, do 20-30 minutes of cardio and then high rep/low weight or high weight/low rep workout depending on my cycle. For me personally I realized a long time ago that if I don't take care of my body, my mind will get pissed and shut down. Kind of go into "zombie mode!" ..if you know what I mean.

I think that back workout, shoulders, abs and bicep curls are great for this business. Hammer curls is more like it. Unfortunately I still can't get my left arm to keep up with my right yet.. My right forearm is a heck of a lot bigger!

I used to work out about 4 days a week for years, but when I started getting real busy with this business I find that I get a great workout just from working, and then some. The over weight issue is not a problem for me, I couldn't gain weight if I tried. Then again, I turn 30 this year, it could be all down hill from there.

I am almost hitting 40 years of age but have been told that I am in good shape for my age ~~ Plenty of sleep. Eat Healthy. Get something in my stomach for breakfast with either a good cup of Starbucks or a Red Bull and I am ready to tackle any 2 story thrown at me :).

We also own a concrete business. Try to wheelbarrow oh lets say 13-15 yards of concrete between 3 people.....that will keep you in shape in between power washes. If you done concrete before then you know what I am talking about.

Weight training used to be my life. There was a time when I could throw up three wheels and a quarter per side on the bench. I don't train nearly as heavy anymore due to overdoing the squatting, deadlifts and cleans in my twenties. Joints are a little worn. No pain, no gain, right? I find now that what I need most is endurance training. Especially this time of year when I find that eating the same 4000 calories a day can equal massive bodyfat in no time.

Unfortunately I still can't get my left arm to keep up with my right yet.. My right forearm is a heck of a lot bigger!

Try using the other hand....LOL!!!

Craig is that really you?? IF so you could play the HULK.

I work out in the off season...but I never seem to eat right even though I eat good foods...and alot of it.

Another way to feel good when the Powerwashing season starts....Hire workers :)

Watch that over the counter stuff though...it can kill you. Just announced recently are lots of side effects for Aleve for example.

Use the basics like hot and cold on sore spots too.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Alan,

A few months ago my parents were coming out to visit. I hadn't seen them for quite a while so my wife took a picture of me in that pose. I loaded it into the computer and played with it in photoshop, then sended it to them. I just made my muscles a "Little" lol bigger to play a prank on them. They didn't know what to think! After a couple of days I had all of my relatives calling me asking me if I was on steroids! Man did I have a good laugh.

I should start the new estrength-training program. People send a picture of themselves to me. I make them lose weight and they send their picture to all of their friends. LOL

I'm turning 51 in march...been doing this work for 26 yrs. I drink plenty of liquids (water and coffee) and I try never to get too much sleep....usually 4 to 6 hrs a night max. Not much into working out as I feel the job itself is plenty. I would say dress for the weather....and enjoy what you do. Fatigue is usually more of a state of mind from hating your job.

Andy