Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's you vehicle of choice...and why?

What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?

• Ford Series Pickup or Van
    • GMC Series Pickup or Van
    • Chevy Series Pickup or Van
    • Toyota Series Pickups
    • Izusu Box Vans
    • Reading Body Trucks
    • Stahl Body Utility
    • Diesel?
    • Gas?
    • Other: not listed here, I will describe in thread below.
    • Freightliner Sprinter Van
    • Dodge

Just took delivery of a GMC Sierra 2500. This will be used for estimates and probably personal use as my wife says it is too clean to get dirty but yet her car is filthy all the time...go figure. I have the decals on order already...when the truck is outfitted with them I will post a pic.

I have a 2003, Chevy 2500HD that I absolutely love. There is a couple of negatives though. Bad turning radius, and horrible gas mileage. 8 gpm in the city, and 13 on the highway. What can i say thats what you get when you want power. I will say it doesn't squat, and doesn't bog down. It's like i've always said:

If you can't aFORD it, DODGE it and buy a Chevy. :lgbounces

I removed the seats out of my daughters bicycle trailer and threw a HD rig in it and hooked it up to my huffy 10 speed. Boy is that one sweet rig!

The Rig... 97 Ford F-350 diesel dually, commercial cap with side lift up doors, rear lift up door, 225 gallon water tank, Elite (soon to be HydroTek) skid machine, hose reels mounted on cub side, 'attic' area in top of cap holds long wands, surface cleaner. Extra water and extra machine on trailer if needed. Dell Inspiron laptop mounted in console between seats, printer underneath. 'porta-file' fits in console. Lettering includes full color before/after shots on sides and rear... (I have sold jobs to the car behind me at traffic lights.)

Very maneuverable, (short wheel base). good fuel milage 14-16 mpg, everything I need inside....

Bates that sounds real impressive!! do you happen to have any pics of your rig that you would be willing to share

Thanks,

Richard

Sure,

I can send pics, tell me where. I need some pics for my iles / marketing anyway, that would be another thing to mark off the list.

This is about the 11th generation wash rig I have built/used. I have had vans, box trucks, trailers (open and closed). For me this is it, everything I need.

Always remember, in all designs, every decision is a compromise. There is no perfect machine.

Sure,

I can send pics, tell me where. I need some pics for my iles / marketing anyway, that would be another thing to mark off the list.

I posted pics I had of Bate's rig in the equipment gallery.

As I mentioned in the truck thread, I'm in process of fashioning my rig likewise. It will have a Hydro-tek SS30005VH and 225g tank. As a newbie I think this setup is the biggest bang for the buck. It's simple, small, efficent and more than enough for me to get started.

Fortunate to have Bates as a mentor,

paul

All Bowties for me.

Right now I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 4 door 4x4 6.0 liter gasoline.

The best dressed trucks wear bowties.

Tony,

What kind of gas mileage are you getting w/your new Chevy both w/and without the trailer attached?

paul

Haven't towed the trailer with it yet so I can't say, but so far, I've been getting between 9.7 & 10.2 mpg. (all city driving, haven't gone on freeway trip yet)

Of course the truck only has about 800 miles on it, so it's not really broken in yet.

I would have liked to have went with the Duramax diesel, but just didn't want to shell out the extra $4k (with employee discount). When diesel fuel was cheaper than gasoline, it may have made sense, but around here it's about the same price as premium gas, so it made no economic sense. The diesel would have provided at least another 7-8 mpg, but still not enough to cost justify.

My truck, as is, can tow 9200#, which is ample capacity for me, thus providing another valid reason I didn't need the stump pulling power of a diesel.

Tony,

I already have 66,000 miles on my HD and its a 2002. I just put a chip in it and have seen a little bit more pick up power this weekend. I'll tell you how much fuel i save or burn soon now that i have it. soon i hope to get the new flowmaster exaust, due to the first one that they made being under engineered.

Dell Inspiron laptop mounted in console between seats, printer underneath. 'porta-file' fits in console.....

What kind of printer did you choose for the truck?

I'm going dealing with this deelema right now.

ps: I'd also like to see some pics please: info@washaway.us

Thanks

Anything I can pay for with cash.But seriously I drive (1) ton GMC van pulling a trailer.I am actually out of space though.Going today to purchase a van from Penn State University.I am going to set it up for doing roofs.I like vans because they provide additional covered storage along with the trailer.

01' Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6 spd. Manual. Quad cab short bed. 135,000

02' Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6 spd. Manual. Quad cab long bed. 107,000

03' Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6 spd. Manual. 4 door, long bed. 57,000

Cummins power is the get 'r' done trucks!!

I'll keep my bowtie with the automatic. What the heck do I want to shift gears all the time for?

I like to put it in drive and go.

It's also nice to start my truck in the driveway every morning without waking up the neighbors. And the stink....forget about it.

If the day comes I need a diesel, I'll get one, but until then, gas works for me.

I use an older Utilimaster step van on a Ford 1-ton van chassis. It has loads of room, a secure bulkhead and rear door, built in shelving, and allows me to work inside while standing. It also makes a great billboard and has a step bumper that is a real blessing for me. I have a very bad arm and back, and this rig I've been able to customize a bit to make it possible to work alone: I've added a ramp and winch that allow me to load and unload my PWer and drums/chems without help. My rig is one of Fedex's veterans and will (hopefully) one day be replaced by one of the larger diesel stepvans. Just like me, this rig is ugly and worn, but hard working. I'll find it hard to give-up until it finally just fails me, hopefully no time soon.

2003 E-350 Extended Passenger Van.

I like the room inside, easy to store materials, wands, vacuum hose, chems, lock everything down and it's safely stored inside a lockable van. Also the van is a mobile billboard. I also have a full seat right behind me which is basically a portable office, or I can carry up to 3 more people if needed for a total of 5. I don't prefer the gas 5.4L but the since the diesels run almost 6 grand more it was out of my budget at the time. The gas engine still has no problem pulling my trailer!

Craig,

I was considering this exact setup, and I was wondering if you could answer a few Q's.

- How do you deal with exhaust (burner and small engine)

- Do you have a tank inside?

- What do you do about chem leaks/spills.

Would you do it this way again?

I perfer my Ferrari with installed tow package. Talk about impressing the ladies.:cool:

I just read this. It reminded me of my old '83 Porsche 911. It had every factory option except two. Tow pkg/trailer hitch and roof racks.

Does anyone actually buy these options?!? I can just see someone cruising down the connector in a beautify red widebody turbo with two ladders on top, and 5x12 enclosed behind and mag signs for "Rich Man's Power Washing"...