Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What's you vehicle of choice...and why?

What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What is your vehicle choice and in your reply, please tell us why?

• Ford Series Pickup or Van
    • GMC Series Pickup or Van
    • Chevy Series Pickup or Van
    • Toyota Series Pickups
    • Izusu Box Vans
    • Reading Body Trucks
    • Stahl Body Utility
    • Diesel?
    • Gas?
    • Other: not listed here, I will describe in thread below.
    • Freightliner Sprinter Van
    • Dodge

It's also nice to start my truck in the driveway every morning without waking up the neighbors. And the stink....forget about it.

The newer Dodge diesel is surprisingly quiet...I think they came out with that in 03 or 04.

I've never noticed a smell. And it sure is nice to pull up to a truck stop and fill the tank in about 2 minutes. :)

Ford F450, gas V10, 16 foot van body, 2 hot water skids, 2 425 gallon tanks, 100 gallon chem tank, vacuum recovery

Ford F550, diesel 7.3L, 16 foot stake, 1500 gallon water tank, 2 100 gallon chem tanks, 2 hot water skids.

I bought a 2004 Ford F150 Screw back in October of 04. I needed something larger than my 02 Ranger Edge due to my service area and my family got larger too. I wish now I had bought a F250 with the powerstroke because it looks like I'm averaging 50,000 miles a year. But, after down payment, rebates and trade-in, I only paid $15,000 for this truck.

IMG_0036.jpg

I bought a 2004 Ford F150 Screw....

... But, after down payment, rebates and trade-in, I only paid $15,000 for this truck.

What's an F150 Screw?

My parents had a similar deal. After down payment, rebates, and trade-in, they paid $0.00 for their new Dodge 2500 Laramie Deisel... What a deal!!!

Hey Beth you should have included under Ford and Dodge both diesel and gas vehicles.

Give me a Dodge or Ford diesel any day.

Would like a Ford Truck with the mechanical Cummins engine in it. Ah that would be perfect.

The opposite is true. Diesels need less maintenace but the maintenance that you do costs more money, so it is a tossup on that end.

They will on average last longer than a gas engine. (400,000 miles is not at all unreal)

They are more suitable too heavy work.

Mileage versus gas when they are working hard is better with a diesel.

The smell of the exhaust becomes sweeter over time.

They are worth every extra penny!

Question----Is a "Sprinter" simply the name of the Freightliner van, or is the term 'Sprinter' a classification, like saying 'box van' or 'cargo van', etc. I could have swore I saw a Dodge vehicle that said "Sprinter", but I am curious if I am mistaken.

Question----Is a "Sprinter" simply the name of the Freightliner van, or is the term 'Sprinter' a classification, like saying 'box van' or 'cargo van', etc. I could have swore I saw a Dodge vehicle that said "Sprinter", but I am curious if I am mistaken.

You saw what you thought you saw...

http://www.dodge.com/sprinter/?pid=12206058&adid=24377432_1758118&rid=

It is apparently a classification.

http://www.fl-sprinter.com/

Hard to say though...it was designed by Daimler-Chrysler, and assembled by Freightliner, according to one website...so maybe D-C has an agreement that they can also sell it under the Dodge name.

Daimler Chrysler owns both Dodge and Freightliner, as well as Detroit diesel and Mercedes Benz. So what sells as a sprinter in the us both from Dodge and FL, is a Mercedes in other places. Just corporate cousins.:)

Daimler Chrysler owns Freightliner and Dodge as well as Detroit Diesel. They sell the Sprinter under both badges here, and as a Mercedes in some other countries. Have you noticed that they no longer sell commercial Mercedes Benz trucks in the states? That's because they are all Freightshakers here, while in Europe the same rigs are MB.

Just corporate cousins.:)

I have always wanted one of those type. I like the F650 etc.. as well. $51500 is not too bad for it though, as the dealer around here want that much for a F450 4X4 CC XLT with NO bed.

I have always wanted one of those type. I like the F650 etc.. as well. $51500 is not too bad for it though, as the dealer around here want that much for a F450 4X4 CC XLT with NO bed.

Are the pictures all screwed up in that auction, or is the truck really that silly looking??

Before you go and spend 52 large on a glorified crew-cab pick-em-up, go to www.truckpaper.com and find a used fleet tractor with a full sleeper. You can remove the saddle (if you wish) and mount a bed of your choice and a pintle hook. The clear advantage is that you are NEVER going to overload this rig with a pwer setup. The mileage won't be a lot different than the crazy uber-pickup, and the price is lower.:)

The drawback is the license (not really a big deal) and ten tires rather than six.

Oh, did I mention that it is really easy to get more than 600 ponies out of just about any Detroit Diesel or Caterpiller? Along with enough torque to make your trailer a joy to pull. And it has a portable office with a bunk. And rides like a bucket full of ...well rides easy anyway.

And for those of you unfamiliar with unsynchronised gearboxes, you can find them with autos and auto stick ten speeds as well. For those that want to, fly me to where you are, and I'll teach you the finer points of ignoring your clutch for the rest of forever.

If you're gonna stink of diesel anyway, let the smoke a-roll and the jakes a-rumble! (That's Authentic Trucker Gibberish right there.):lgkick:

I have a 97 F-350 turbo diesel dually extented cab with a reading box. I can pull all the water I need! I bought it 5 months ago for 5 grand with 163k on it. I sold that one!

WHy not get a single axle tractor? Not as easy to find, but they are out there and then you do not need to worry about the extra tires, and all the other things that come with it.

2005 Ford F-150 stx, wife has 2004 ford freestar van. As I prefer to buy american or at worst canadian I stay away from General Motors vehicles. My brother in law and his wife have GMC vehicles both made in mexico (now there's quality). However I hear Ford is closing some of their North American plants and shipping them to mexico as well, so I guess my next purchase will be a Dodge, Or even a Toyota. At least there made here in the USA. Just my 2ยข. Jeff