Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The Gas Crunch

Question

23 answers to this question

I am not revising the free estimates but I am thorughly screening the homeonwers on the phone. I am heading out this morning to tackle this job sight unseen with just photographs and measurements. I unfortunately had to tack on a travel charge as it's a 45 minute ride.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40350#post40350

I'm still doing estimates for free, but I'm doing them on my motorcycle unless they are on the way to or from a job already booked. So far it hasn't seemed to worry anybody too much, but I'm curious if anybody else has used a bike and had customers shy away.

It is always best to use the company vehicle but in this time of high gas prices if you do use other means of transportation I would suggest somehow very low key explaining why you rode or drove your other vehilce or bike.

"It is such a lovely day I thought I would take my vintage motorcycle out for a bit today"

Don't get to drive that classic car much so took it for a drive today while I did your estimate".

That should stop them from shying away from hiring you if your estimate is right.

Oh and someone has to turn in Pressure Pro's for starving that poor piggy:)

$80.00 to fill up my 2003 GMC truck. That is just 1 of 3 that we need to fill up on a weekly basis...ouch!

$100.00 to fill up the new 2005 Dodge two days ago....At least it's only 1 of 2 for me each week.

Luckily, I live in a pretty centralized area, there aren't a lot of jobs where I have to drive more than a few miles to quote, and usually I can do those when I'm in the area.

I charge a little more to make up the difference. We're not truckers and are I think as a whole we're pretty lucky that we can afford ourselves the luxury of having the option in how to absorb the gas hike. The estimates I'm trying to group into cities, getting to everyone within 2-3 days. It's more organized this way and now I use less gas than I did before in the "care free" mode.

With gas the way it is, I am very pleased to be driving a ranger. 389 miles on a tank of gas. I have actually landed a couple of jobs over the phone and email pics from the customer, but the estimates are still free. People want to hear the word free still, I believe. I agree that we can absorb the cost in another way, maybe even on another job. Although I do charge 1.00 a mile outside of my 30 mile radius. Yep..... I am glad I didn't buy that used van or a larger trailer.

I really wanted to upgrade to all of those luxuries this year, but all the recent gas pinches and world trauma have made me want to just hold what I have right now, and be greatful for it.

We are watching the price of gas very closely for the rest of the year. Also heard on the news in our area that the cost of natural gas will go up an additional 40% by the time January rolls around.

I want to keep our pricing structure intact for the last quarter of the year (if we can) but if things continue to go in the direction they have been going (gas prices), we will increase our pricing structure at the begining of the year to offset the increase.

This is rediculous, 99% of all our business is commercial, alot of flatwork now, but We started out with several fleet accounts which made up a large percentage of our business and now were down to one due to the price of fuel. Is anyone else having problems with fleet accounts? How are you handling this? I just pray that the economy doesn't get so bad that we lose our flat work also.

Ron, for me the writing was on the wall a couple of years ago. I ditched all of my commercial work. I was getting calls every day that XYZ Company was in and they are $20 cheaper and can I match? My expenses were going up and my profits down. That's a pie I want no part of. I hope all works out well for you, it may be time to diversify.

Pressure Pros makes a good point regarding diversifying. We started out years ago just doing pressure washing but over the last 2 years we diversified our services to include concrete, landscaping and painting. Best business decision I made.

We've branched into concrete overlays as far as diversification. Estimates are still free but homeowners now have to wait until we're in their area. I have a Suburban that cost me $120 to fill yesterday (cough cough choke choke) for work purposes but for estimating, the 73 MGB is getting back on the road :) (But it's getting a new paint job with logo this winter!) We haven't raised prices or added surcharges - no one else is getting raises and they're paying the same for gas as we are so we're chalking it up to the cost of doing business, just being more careful with our planning. We do plan on an across the board increase in January for new customers though - but that's cause we've earned it :) As far as estimating in a small car or bike, as a homeowner, I personally would see it as a smart business person trying to conserve fuel so as not to have to increase their job costs.

Celeste

Celeste isn't great when you can raise your prices and not worry about losing a few customers? Congrats, I know you guys work hard and help others as well. Roger has given me some very good head's up timesavers as well... pass him my gratitude. I'll have to call and harass him again soon.

Pressure Pros makes a good point regarding diversifying. We started out years ago just doing pressure washing but over the last 2 years we diversified our services to include concrete, landscaping and painting. Best business decision I made.

I've givin some serious thought about adding some addional services to my business as well, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which services I would like to offer, and which would best help compliment my business now.

My way of thinking is, Obviously, in the pressure washing business weather is one of the biggest factors that limits my produtivilty, and it would be nice to have another service that is not affected by weather conditions. The other problem is, even if you find that other service, how do schedule jobs to fill in the crummy weather days as weather is not predictable enough to schedule ahead.

I've thought that maybe adding handyman services would fit the bill perfectly. I'm very talented with my hands, and have good working knowledge of how to fix most things that one would encounter around the house (thanks Dad). I wonder how the profit margins in handyman services would compare to pressure washing? I wish I had a business mind like some of the others on here.

Theres nothing wrong woth doing a DBA. I partnered with somebody on another business for that very reason. He paints extremely well, I use my CCB#, get new insurance and I do the repairs. This has provided me with some income during off times. I can make more $ PWing because I am better at it but I don't dislike doing other things also.