Sign in to follow this  
Lou Beach

Technique and Pricing Help Needed

Question

Hi,

I need to put a quote together on this house. It is aprox 2600 sq ft and the propterty owner wants vinyl and concrete foundation only cleaned. He does not want the brick front done, but does want the gutters and vinyl trim done on the front of the house cleaned.

What is a fair price for this house?

How do I clean the vinyl trim and gutters on the front of the house without getting any streaking or affecting the brick front of house? Do I wet the entire front of the house down and then spray on my housewash for the vinyl areas? Here is a real dumb newbie question. What do you call the area's in the pictures of the vinyl? I put arrow in the area's I am talking about.

Also what is the best way to get to that gutter that sits above the triangle peak above the garage? The third picture gives a shot of the gutter above the gargage. How would I get to that?

[ATTACH]2991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2993[/ATTACH]

post-314-137772148525_thumb.jpg

post-314-137772148531_thumb.jpg

post-314-137772148538_thumb.jpg

29 answers to this question

Here are some shots of the two sides of the house and the back

The sides and back of the house I should not have a problem with. It's doing the vinyl trim on the front and the gutters on the front that I am concerned about doing without affecting the brick in anyway.

thanks

[ATTACH]2994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2996[/ATTACH]

post-314-137772148544_thumb.jpg

post-314-13777214855_thumb.jpg

post-314-137772148557_thumb.jpg

Here is a real dumb newbie question. What do you call the area's in the pictures of the vinyl? I put arrow in the area's I am talking about.

Hi Lou,

I've always called them fascia boards. The undersides are called eves.

Mike

Lou,

This is strictly my opinion and I'm sure other will chime in with theirs,but I would bid this as an entire house wash.Even if you wet the brick your chems will get on them requiring you to rinse every square inch.

Most homeowners ask for the trim only wsh thinking it will save them money on the job.

Lou,

This is strictly my opinion and I'm sure other will chime in with theirs,but I would bid this as an entire house wash.Even if you wet the brick your chems will get on them requiring you to rinse every square inch.

Most homeowners ask for the trim only wsh thinking it will save them money on the job.

Lou,

I Agree with Scott.

Read this thread... http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4943

Thanks,

Mike

From what i see it would be $300.00 here where im at .use gutter zap on gutters .put gutter zap on wet gutters ;let dwell for a few minutes and rinse.There is no way to do the front without water getting on brick.All i can say rinse everything well. Most important water all greenery down good.this is my way if i had to do this house.As far as vinyl ;use what ever house wash you use on the vinyl.cant do facia and sofit with out wetting brick.

Lou, bid it as a whole house wash. You'll be glad you did.

Those facia boards are going to be SERIOUS back breakers. I started this last summer and up to now I have been getting on a ladder with a extension brush. This will take a lot of time. Maybe the pros on here can tell us a better method to do those facia boards.

Personally my prices have been to low this summer and fall. Looking at your pictures I would be in the 6-700 dollar range.

The window trim, the glass on that big window and the gutters and fascia are what is going to make the front of that house look good. From the pictures nothing looks all that bad so I don't see any real scrubbing in your future. But the other guys are right, for all the places you have to spray soap every window is going to need to be rinsed as well as most of the brick.

This would be my technique so take it for what it's worth. I'll adapt for one man show.

Front: Split into two halves. Wet down brick and glass. In a 5 gallon pail, 35% Butyl based cleaner, 10% Sodium Metasilicate / 2% Carwash, with remainder as plain water X-Jetted onto eaves/fascia/gutters/window trim and doorway. I'd soap the glass as well. Immediately start rinsing the glass. I'd Leave the rest to dwell for the ten minutes it's going to take me to soap the remainder of the front and the garage. Rinse using 00300 nozzle which will easily get a high flow stream shooting to the top of the house. It will rinse those eaves vey well but watch your water penetration.

The rest of the house is standard stuff. I think anywhere from $450 (minimal brushing) to $700 for everything brushed is reasonable in our markets.

I agree with doing it in sections and Lou dont be super worrierd about the brick, wet it down apply chems where needed and rinse chems from brick. Ive never had problem with brick as long as it wet and a couple times it was dry and all I did was rinse chem real well

Never do partial cleaning, unless your hand washing facia, gutters etc. and that way I would charge them dearly.

House $500 and up , there are a few PITA factors on that house it looks like

Good luck, dont be nervous about this one just wash it and collect the $$$

This is a great thread guys!! I have been getting alot of customers that are just wanting the eves and gutters done and not the brick. I know a few of u said that it would not affect the brick, but has anyone had it where it did leave clean streaks? Sometimes the brick may not need it. I am thinking of coming up with a linear foot price for the times when the brick is clean. Sure hate to lose that $$ but I dont want to leave clean streaks. Thanks for all the great advice guys!!

Man, you'll sure have some tall houses up there. seriously though, that house should be a cake walk. If you apply the right mix of house wash, you shouldn't have to scrub anything except for maybe the gutters. The facia of the peaks of the house usually don't have problems with black streaks, just a little dust and mildew. I never quote partial cleaning of eaves and gutters. I always explain to the customer (in person while giving the estimate, never on the phone) that I will at least have to coat the brick with my cleaning solution and rinse. For a price, I think I would be in the $350 range.

How do you guys reach that high? My x-jet wont shoot that far. Myabe its my gpm per minute.

Put your X-Jet on an extension want. I have a sixteen foot extension wand that I will have to use if I get this job.

When I was walking the property with the customer he was telling me about all the money he has to shell out for various repairs in the house. I dont think he's going to like my quote, which is probably going to be in the $500 range.

I was thinking about doing a two tier quote. One that would include the gutters and facia, and one that doesnt. I want this job, it will get me in this neighborhood where there are a lot of houses like this that need cleaning worse then this one. Pic's don't show it, but the vinly is fairly dirty on the sides and the back of the house.

Put your X-Jet on an extension want. I have a sixteen foot extension wand that I will have to use if I get this job.

When I was walking the property with the customer he was telling me about all the money he has to shell out for various repairs in the house. I dont think he's going to like my quote, which is probably going to be in the $500 range.

I was thinking about doing a two tier quote. One that would include the gutters and facia, and one that doesnt. I want this job, it will get me in this neighborhood where there are a lot of houses like this that need cleaning worse then this one. Pic's don't show it, but the vinly is fairly dirty on the sides and the back of the house.

Lou, I would give him one price only, and tell him you have to basically have to clean the whole house and explain why. If you give him 2 prices, he'll go for the lower price probably and you still have to do the same amount of work or more. i just wouldnt give 2 prices

If you really want this house job, tell him your giving him a discounted price because you want the neighbors to see you working and doing a great job. What ever your price tell him its discounted. Ive done homes n gated communities for less to get my foot in the door and then I also drive around and write all the addresses down for mailers.

Also I noiced a deck, I dont know if you know, but wet the deck goodand dont put a house wash bucket directly on the wood. it can & will leave a ring on the deck where the bucket sits.

Xjet & 4'extension shouldget most of it and maybe a little step ladder & ladder work to get everything.

Good luck with it. Whats going to be your house wash mix

I havent even given the guy the quote yet so I dont know if I'm even going to get the job and he may want to wait once he has the quote because of all the thousands he has to pump out for various odd repairs inside the house. He wants to replace the hardwood floors in his living room because the family dog has ruined them. He told me the lowest quote he has had on the floors was 3 grand and he didnt look to happy about that.

I will use my standard of Emulsifier+. Chlorine and water. But that mix will not get the gutter stains out. I need to talk to Ken about his suggested mixture for the gutters and facia that he posted earlier.

I like the idea of writing down the addresses of houses that really need the cleaning. I was thinking of a flyer saying something about last chance before the holidays to give your property "Visual Appeal" and then put on the door handle or actually knock on the door. Even the homeowner told me this development was a gold mine. Lots of vinyl siding that is moldy and dirty. I just get the impression that he thinks 250-300 for the entire house and I dont want to go that low. Five hundred is more then fair for the size of the house and all I am going to do. All four sides and the foundation to make it shine.

I should just stick to my $500.00, tell him what I am going to do for that and then let the chips fall where they may.

Lou, I do not know the market there but WOW $500-600 dollars. I am moving there tomorrow. Here in Ga I would bid somewhere $ 250-375 top. I just do not think homeownere will pay that price. I could be wrong, but if you if you want the job I would be at 300.00 tops. 3 hours is more than enough time to clean this home. 3hours = 100.00 per hour. Good money.

Here is what I would put in a five gallon bucket. 2 gal SH, 1 gal of powerhouse or citraclean, 2 gal of H20. Xjet it and rinse after about a 3 min dwell time. Good luck.

I havent even given the guy the quote yet so I dont know if I'm even going to get the job and he may want to wait once he has the quote because of all the thousands he has to pump out for various odd repairs inside the house. He wants to replace the hardwood floors in his living room because the family dog has ruined them. He told me the lowest quote he has had on the floors was 3 grand and he didnt look to happy about that.

I will use my standard of Emulsifier+. Chlorine and water. But that mix will not get the gutter stains out. I need to talk to Ken about his suggested mixture for the gutters and facia that he posted earlier.

I like the idea of writing down the addresses of houses that really need the cleaning. I was thinking of a flyer saying something about last chance before the holidays to give your property "Visual Appeal" and then put on the door handle or actually knock on the door. Even the homeowner told me this development was a gold mine. Lots of vinyl siding that is moldy and dirty. I just get the impression that he thinks 250-300 for the entire house and I dont want to go that low. Five hundred is more then fair for the size of the house and all I am going to do. All four sides and the foundation to make it shine.

I should just stick to my $500.00, tell him what I am going to do for that and then let the chips fall where they may.

Lou, do you use Gutter Shock or Gutter Zap or simular product. these products are worth yhe money

As for your price, all I'm saying is if you normally would charge $500, I would drop it $50 and tell hime you are dropping to get the work in that neighborhood, you might have a better chance to get the job if he hears discount. Andyou still get good money, but most of all you might get seen and get more work.

You havent done alot of homes correct and this home you may need 8 hours like the last home you wrote about. But this is tops a 3-4 hour job and you should charge accordingly. Should a customer have to pay more because of your inexperience. Im not putting you down, but do you see what I mean.

As for knocking on peoples doors, just my personal observation, i cant stand having anyone bother me to sell me something. I also prefer mailers to every house not just the dirty ones and I'll mail to same houses 2 times. The more they see your name the better chance they will call. But this is a tough time of year to be getting PW work when its cold. save those addresses for thesprin time

Good luck, I hope you get it

Lou

Man I need to expand my operation up to Baltimore. If you're getting $500-$600 up there for a house like that. Granted you are up in the Big City, but dang...... Down here in Southern "debygodcapt'n" Maryland I would go hungry if I charged prices like that. I've washed houses that size all summer down here, except they were all vinyl no brick. $375 - $400 is the top price I can get. House that size takes me by myself, 2.5 to 3 hours tops.

I agree with the other folks here though, don't give tier pricing. Bid the whole house, x-jet the front facia and eve's with your house wash, us a good butal cleaner on the gutters brush it on straight then rinse the black away. Oh "SH" = Sodium Hypoclorite (Bleach) I use 12.5% and H2O= Water.

I will probably come down in price just to get this job, and then I may not get it but everbody is saying 3.5 hours on average for this house. I will prbably take me about 5-6 to do it, but thats because I'm new. Once I tackle a couple of these size houses and get my routine down I should be able to do in the 3.5 range.

I use purple power, which has butyl in in and it has worked on gutters. The gutter I am worried about getting too is the one above the garage. It doesn't look like I wll be able to reach it with a brush and an extension poll. So should I X-Jet purple power right on it using an X-Jet and get a 50/50 mix and then let is set on the gutter for a minute and then do a rinse? Does butyl cause any problems with brick or vinyl?

Thanks

Also there is a concrete foundation that has mold, dirt and mildew on it. I was thinking my housewash mix (Emulsifier+, Clhorine, water) should take care of that also along with some hot water. Comments for the concrete and the butyl on vinyl and brick?

Lou,

judging by your pics I would say that your most difficult portion of that house will be the stretch of gutters that runs over the garage area (mainly because you'll have to attack it from an angle) and fighting the bushes to get close to the windows. Go with the butyl on the gutters (rinsing windows IMMEDIATELY after application) and hose those off and the gutters will brighten up easily. Vinyl is so easy don't even consider it an issue. Hose it down with Xjet and let the bleach do the work while you apply butyl to the gutters. For that house (relatively simple geometry and accessible layout), I would charge around $350 - $375. It would include brushing washing all window sills with a brush (they would have to loosen the screens on the windows) and cleaning the gutters/siding. Deck would be rinsed but nothing beyond that. Driveways are usually cheap when I can charge premiums on the house, so if the drive is no more than 12 - 15 feet across and 50 feet long, I'd probably throw it in for $50. Total time to pull up, unload, clean, and pack everything would be about 4-5 hours. The biggest consumer of time is removing/replacing the screens. This would be non-negotiable on my part because I don't like leaving streaks under the screens after giving the siding a rinse. If you are confident with your cleaning technique, don't let a customer dictate parts to clean and parts to ignore. Kind of dumb for a customer to to say they only want the gutters cleaned but not the 1000 square feet of brick siding and glass below it that is going to catch all of that cleaner and grime. Sheesh!

I submited the contract/proposal to the homeowner. $375.00 for cleaning the front vinyl trim, fascia, eves and trim around the windows. Cleaning all the gutters, exterior only around the house and cleaning the foundation.

It's more then a fair price and it he doesn't go for it, he doesn't go for it. I already told him that if he wants the cheapest price possible, he doenst want me, but if he wants the best value for his money, then he should hire me to do the job.

We will see what happens.

I submited the contract/proposal to the homeowner. $375.00 for cleaning the front vinyl trim, fascia, eves and trim around the windows. Cleaning all the gutters, exterior only around the house and cleaning the foundation.

It's more then a fair price and it he doesn't go for it, he doesn't go for it. I already told him that if he wants the cheapest price possible, he doenst want me, but if he wants the best value for his money, then he should hire me to do the job.

We will see what happens.

Good luck!

With the concrete foundation, I've found that sometimes housewash doesn't work well with the algae. I keep a pump up sprayer with 50/50 chlorine/water and will use that to spray the foundation while the house is dwelling. Works like a charm.

Lou, I do not know the market there but WOW $500-600 dollars. I am moving there tomorrow. Here in Ga I would bid somewhere $ 250-375 top. I just do not think homeownere will pay that price. I could be wrong, but if you if you want the job I would be at 300.00 tops. 3 hours is more than enough time to clean this home. 3hours = 100.00 per hour. Good money.

Here is what I would put in a five gallon bucket. 2 gal SH, 1 gal of powerhouse or citraclean, 2 gal of H20. Xjet it and rinse after about a 3 min dwell time. Good luck.

This is an old thread, but I found it in a search and was thinking the same

thing about price. $250 w/ gutters, $160 w/o 1.5 hrs w/o gutters, 3 hrs

with.

And as far as the xjet not reaching, this would be done with an old xjet and a wand no longer than 6ft on the high side, none elsewhere.