Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Concrete feet

Question

Well we're half way done with our 1st large parking garage job. Im real happy how its going, BUT, damn do my feet feel it by the end of a 10 hour day. Rubber boots and concrete werent made for each other. Any suggestions for relief for my old tired feet

Are there any good boots or inserts for this kind of work?

Anyway the property is thrilled with how the garage looks and we will be doing it annually every December. Nice winter work we can count on. The GM has been taking pictures to show the homeowners before & after. I guess the past 2 years it was done with a contractor who just sprayed chem and rinsed it off with fan nozzle no surface cleaner and just cold water. They are amazed with the surface cleaner.

Help My dawgs please !!!!!

JL

20 answers to this question

Well we're half way done with our 1st large parking garage job. Im real happy how its going, BUT, damn do my feet feel it by the end of a 10 hour day. Rubber boots and concrete werent made for each other. Any suggestions for relief for my old tired feet

Are there any good boots or inserts for this kind of work?

Anyway the property is thrilled with how the garage looks and we will be doing it annually every December. Nice winter work we can count on. The GM has been taking pictures to show the homeowners before & after. I guess the past 2 years it was done with a contractor who just sprayed chem and rinsed it off with fan nozzle no surface cleaner and just cold water. They are amazed with the surface cleaner.

Help My dawgs please !!!!!

JL

I have yet to find a "waterproof" work boot that holds out the water for hours of surface cleaning, but the closest I have tried are Wolverines...They are a lot more comfortable than rubber boots, though my feet still hurt after hours of walking concrete. You can order them direct from Wolverine's website. They're the 8" model with gore-tex.

You could also just order gore-tex socks from Rocky Boots, and wear regular old work boots.

There is also a spray on water repellent you can use but the problem is you will need to reapply after exposure to any chemicals. These I have found are sold in shops for hunters and fisherman.

I bought a set of PVC boots and added a set of Dr. Shoals cushion insoles to them to give added arch support and they help tremendously. @ $18.00 a pair they are expensive but with the syndromes imposed by falling arches and Plantar Fasciitis that can put you out of work for days is worth the cost of prevention.

Just a thought...

Rod~

I pay the big bucks for my rubber boots. I have big calves, and so standard boots dont work for me, because I have to split the sides. I have had a couple of pairs of boots that were as comfy as Tennis shoes. Try www.muckboots.com or Cabelas or http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=126088-10&UID=200512140933112815934891 These are not $20 walmart boots, but they are Really comfortable.

Scott Stone

Georgia Boot, The Mud Dog is all I wear. A pair usually last me around 6 months before it starts to leak and even then very minimal water. I can usually make it about 8 to 10 months before it is time to retire that pair. Of course if you are doing long runs of curbing and the water is bouncing back on you above your ankle an all rubber boot is the only thing I have found to work. For surface cleaning alone the Mud Dogs will last a long time and are very comfy.

Get some "Boss" brand boots from Northern Tool.

Cleated heels (long time to wear out), knee high, plus they come with an insert. Get some Dr. Schols inserts. They have rubber inserts or gel filled inserts. Just cut them to size, and for around 25.00 you are all set.

Hope the job continues to go well.

I pay the big bucks for my rubber boots. I have big calves, and so standard boots dont work for me, because I have to split the sides. I have had a couple of pairs of boots that were as comfy as Tennis shoes. Try www.muckboots.com or Cabelas or http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/product.asp?T1=126088-10&UID=200512140933112815934891 These are not $20 walmart boots, but they are Really comfortable.

Scott Stone

Thanks everybody, what would I do without all of you Thank you

Scott I like the boots thanks for the sight

JL

I've been using the 6" rubber boots that Scott recommended from cabela's for about a year now and they are the best that I've found yet (except for roofs, where I use Herman Survirors "Repellers").

Another vote for Muck boots... Hands down the most comfy rubber boot I've ever worn. All day?? ...no prob...

About $60.00 a crack, but well worth every penny. I've had the same pair since last winter and they still work like a dream. If you have a Tractor Supply locally, they stock them.

2nd vote for everyday footwear when not wearing the Mucks is my well broken in Carhartt boots. Waterproof, comfy, and durable.

No help there, but a neat trick that has worked for us in the past is a double glove approach..

A decent pair of jersey gloves and then all rubber gloves over that works ok, but is rather bulky. You won't have much in the way of fine motor skills, but if your just holding a gun or surface cleaner it works well.

I used to try latex gloves and then a good pair over those, but found that my hands sweated enough inside the latex so as to defeat the whole dry & warm concept :)

I have a pair of Red Wings I wear on my current job....can be up to 15 hours walking around and standing on concrete. They feel better (once they're broken in) than my Nikes. Not water proof but perhaps you can do the mink oil that Alan mentioned. I think they had a pair of waterproofed versions, too. Paid about $180 for them.

I just bought a pair of Survivors from Wally World. They are the same height as rubber boots but are neopreme, waterproof and have 1000grams of insulation and only come in camo. So far they are great I dont know the durability yet but they are comfy to wear all day long. There have been days that I put them on in the morning to feed then I go to work and they dont come off till after I feed at night. So far very happy and they were $70 or $80.

I wear white shrimpers(fishers) boots, all of Fla guys know what I am talking about. They are fairly comfortable and cheap at $20. I put them on when I start washing and take them off when I am done.

I strongly agree with Scott Stone, I love the muck boots. I even wear them when hunting in snow and mud. I've even worn them during wet branding days, and after wresting more than 300 calves, still had nice dry and warm feet. (just about the only nice dry warm parts I had)

I also think that insoles are important. Find a Redwing shoe store, or a good granola munching, tree-hugging hiking store. The have some inserts called something like: Doctor (I forget)'s Affordable Orthotic Inserts/Footbeds. They are purple and for about 35 bucks a pair will make any boot you like into your favorite pair.

I actually use some Scholls gel inserts in my motorcycle boots(Redwings), and I wear them almost everyday that isn't snowy. I like them too.:)

Guys if you have the problem Alan does go buy a pair of um, shoot can't think of the name now but used to use them when back-packing in winter snow or sand during summer to keep snow and sand out of the boots.

They cover the boot/ankle and work wonders.