Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Gas prices

Question

Hear we go again gas prices are going up & up. What a PITA, call or email your elected officials and tell them youu want lower prices, if enough people complain to our elected officials, the prices usually come down. Tell them you'll vote this upcoming election.

Its all a game.

I just saw that the head of Exxon is retiring this month or year and his retirment package is $ 450,000,000 Thats right 450 Million and he made $52 million last year.

Tell me they arent taking advantage of us. capitalism is fine but this is ridiculous. Call your congressman & reps and tell them their jobs are on the line

www.senate.gov or www.house.gov you can find your reps & congressmen and email or call them

JL

172 answers to this question

I am a layman when it comes to all the politics this thread has turned into, but, I will say that I agree with the two questions that Mr. Williamson posted above my post. How can the rise in fuel be because of who we voted for.

How can one man be so powerful and have so much control as to raise the price of fuel around the world? Impossible!!!!!! I voted for bush and am very glad I did. Let me say this again... I voted for Bush and am very glad I did.

Call it what you want (lessor of two evils... whatever)

I also have to agree with Mr. Williamson that we simply need to raise our rates to stay in the click of economical rises. We really don't have any choice if we want to be here next year doing the same business we are in now. I have no problem raising my rates. In fact I have already done it once this year, and will do it again if needed. If a customer doesn't want to pay my rates, then they are free to choose Mr. Lowball Pw no soap guy for the 99.00 special. It will be the only time they use him because he will be out of business this time next year unless he adjusts his rates for the climbing economy. This gas thing is WAY too big for any one of us to tackle or really do anything about except adjust to the economy and move along with the changing times. It's here to stay, get used to it.

I am old enough to remember movies costing less than a dollar to go see a feature, and maybe another 1.50 for junk food to go with the movie.

Anyone been to a movie lately. 8.00 - 10.00 a head and that's without the junk food. I am not saying that I won't pay 10.00 bucks to go see Cindy Crawford ( even though she is not the best actress) or Uma Thurman, Or Famke Jennson, I just have to limit how many movies I see in order to make ends meet. The same with the gas issue, I will do as many bids as possible over the phone to save on gas and money. Not that I don't do bidding the old fashioned way by actually going to the jobsite ( sometimes there is no other way around it). I personally am doing ALOT of adjusting because of this fuel issue. But, that is all I can do, adjust.

My vote counted enough to help get Bush elected. again, very proud of that.

But, even the layman that I am, I can at least figure out that it is not one man's ( Bush) doing. Cmon.

Fact when gas prices went up to $3 some months ago , congress had hearing and the price went down for a while

I know one man GB doesnt control everything but he can with others direct thing in a certain direction.

I personally cant stand George B as a president I know he's a liar and I know he for the rich more than anyone else. Thats my opinion

I knew he was going to war with Iraq way before 9/11, he jusst used that tragedy to get us into Iraq and he's lied or only relied on what intel worked for him, The Dems were no better they just followed , but the did not figure anything out past the 1st 6 months and now its a mess.

Does anyone remember when they said it would only cost us 10 billion dollars for he Iraq war and then the Iraq oil would pay the rest.Well there heading to 1 trillion dollars , bad estimate. It doesnt matter what they do, they lie or twist the facts.

What about the CIA leak case, when Bush said he wants to know who leaked well it was him and his top people, Oh he changed a few words and picked his words carefully but he knew it was bullshit.

I dont trust him and never will. It will be a better country when GB is out. What happened to fiscal conservative, this guy spends our money like he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, OH he was. True conservative republicans cant beleive what he's done with our money,

Oh ya does anyone think Bush has everything/anything ready for another Katrina. We'll have to send him another tape so he can see whats going on

I didnt post the Gov websights to start a big fight I just thought some might want to email their reps.

I have a right to complain and I will I vote always and I dont like a lot that is going on, its all corrupt. I'm also sorry I cant shut up about this kind of stuff its just me. I might not be the smartest of the bunch but I know right & wrong and Bush is wrong for the US

Mike W made you do it LOL

JL

Fact when gas prices went up to $3 some months ago , congress had hearing and the price went down for a while

I know one man GB doesnt control everything but he can with others direct thing in a certain direction.

The point is, I don't WANT the government to interfere in private business to determine prices. The market has always determined price, and that is as it should. If demand it up, prices will be up. Who do you think controls the price of oil? Certainly not the US, and not to any great degree US oil companies. As far as the price of gas at the pump, oil companies are simply doing what we're all doing, trying to make a profit. Yes, their profits are huge, because they are huge companies, but as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, their profit margins aren't out of line. Those companies are owned by investors, and those investors, as with any company, want a good return on their investment. They want profits. The oil companies have an obligation to the share holders, not the consumers.

If it were as simple as just lowering gas prices, don't you think some company out there would do it in an effort to compete and gain a larger market share? If it were realistic to think gas prices could drop to $1.50/gallon, wouldn't some oil company, even a small one, try selling gas at $1.50/gallon??? It isn't that simple.

As far as whether you believe all the crap about GW lying and wanting to go into Iraq and all that stuff, we could argue that forever and never come to an agreement. We simply see it from two totally different points of view.

Fact: When gas prices went up to $3 some months ago, I griped and complained about it costing $100.00 to fill my truck, and the price went down for a while. It must have been my griping that did it!!!

How can one man be so powerful and have so much control as to raise the price of fuel around the world? Impossible!!!!!! I voted for bush and am very glad I did. Let me say this again... I voted for Bush and am very glad I did.

My vote counted enough to help get Bush elected. again, very proud of that.

But, even the layman that I am, I can at least figure out that it is not one man's ( Bush) doing. Cmon.

Amen brother.

And if you beleive that bunch of blow hards in congress had anything more to do with the decrease in price than Mike W did, then I guess you'll be voting for them again. Cause thats the only reason they were talking about it. Hell, lets put Mike Williamson into congress. At least hes got sense enough to understand supply and demand, which is more than these people who blame GW for all the ills of the world understand.

I didnt post the Gov websights to start a big fight I just thought some might want to email their reps.

I have a right to complain and I will I vote always and I dont like a lot that is going on, its all corrupt. I'm also sorry I cant shut up about this kind of stuff its just me. I might not be the smartest of the bunch but I know right & wrong and Bush is wrong for the US

JL

Hey, no one is fighting! I think everyone has kept this pretty good natured! If we can't discuss disagreements without it turning into a big fight, we have bigger problems than high gas prices!! :lgbounces

The point is, I don't WANT the government to interfere in private business to determine prices. The market has always determined price, and that is as it should. If demand it up, prices will be up. Who do you think controls the price of oil? Certainly not the US, and not to any great degree US oil companies. As far as the price of gas at the pump, oil companies are simply doing what we're all doing, trying to make a profit. Yes, their profits are huge, because they are huge companies, but as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, their profit margins aren't out of line. Those companies are owned by investors, and those investors, as with any company, want a good return on their investment. They want profits. The oil companies have an obligation to the share holders, not the consumers.

If it were as simple as just lowering gas prices, don't you think some company out there would do it in an effort to compete and gain a larger market share? If it were realistic to think gas prices could drop to $1.50/gallon, wouldn't some oil company, even a small one, try selling gas at $1.50/gallon??? It isn't that simple.

I know we dont control prices I know its a lot of the smaller gas & oil producers that are holding onto it and its why prices are going up. But we can still ask our govermnt to try to bring them down.

As for investers & share holders most people are neither and profits are a good thing , but huge profits arent everything, of course profits need to be made and help. But big biz for years has gotten away with the raping of the US and its citizens. No one gives a **** about anything or anyone any more its the almighty dollar and must people dont have a lot of $$$$

I really dont know how to explain it, I just want better for all of us, middle class, poor, rich

As far as whether you believe all the crap about GW lying and wanting to go into Iraq and all that stuff, we could argue that forever and never come to an agreement. We simply see it from two totally different points of view.

Very diplimatic Mike and I agree to disagree

I dont know how to explain everything I just want better for all of us in the US

I know we dont control the oil but I can still ask our Gov to help with what they can.

I just got real mad when prices went up and The head of Exxon retires with a $450,000,000 dollar retirement after making 52 million in pay last year. It just really pisses me off

JL

I just got real mad when prices went up and The head of Exxon retires with a $450,000,000 dollar retirement after making 52 million in pay last year. It just really pisses me off

JL

Agreed, but how much he made really has no effect on what you pay. Who should be pissed off about all that are the Exxon shareholders. Then again, maybe he was a key reason Exxon had the profits they had. What's $450 million in exchange for billions in profit? It isn't as if the guy is going to get that every year. I agree, many CEOs are way overpaid in my opinion, but companies and shareholders allow it to happen, and unless I own stock in that company, it really isn't any of my business.

I can't think of any corporate leader who is so uniquely capable that they'd be worth tens of millions in salary and benefits per year. I really can't think of anyone worth that kind of money, whether it is a CEO, actor, or athlete.

Amen brother.

And if you beleive that bunch of blow hards in congress had anything more to do with the decrease in price than Mike W did, then I guess you'll be voting for them again. Cause thats the only reason they were talking about it. Hell, lets put Mike Williamson into congress. At least hes got sense enough to understand supply and demand, which is more than these people who blame GW for all the ills of the world understand.

I understand supply & demand but are you really appy at what you see going on. A war that was "Mission accomplished" and many are still dying to build a nation and a region thats been killing each other for over 2000 years, big biz stealing from pension funds, Lobbyist who have more say than the millions of us, illegals that are flooding our country while other try to get in legally, goverment officials all the way up to the prez who lie and will do almost anything to get reelected just to keep control, so they can send the pork to their state. Some years ago it was the dems now its the republican. Its wrong no matter who is doing it. I just happen to think Bush is usually a pro at it, until recently with all he's getting caught in. I liked his dad George senior & Reagan, I believe they really cared , George Jr I dont think does and he was a screw up rich little brat when he was younger and he's still a screw up, he spends & spends & spends and no one cares. Its our money

I understand supply & demand but are you really appy at what you see going on. A war that was "Mission accomplished" and many are still dying to build a nation and a region thats been killing each other for over 2000 years, big biz stealing from pension funds, Lobbyist who have more say than the millions of us, illegals that are flooding our country while other try to get in legally, goverment officials all the way up to the prez who lie and will do almost anything to get reelected just to keep control, so they can send the pork to their state. Some years ago it was the dems now its the republican. Its wrong no matter who is doing it. I just happen to think Bush is usually a pro at it, until recently with all he's getting caught in. I liked his dad George senior & Reagan, I believe they really cared , George Jr I dont think does and he was a screw up rich little brat when he was younger and he's still a screw up, he spends & spends & spends and no one cares. Its our money

I don't get it...half the anti-Bush crowd think he's the stupidest and most inept President we've ever had, and the other half think he's so smart that he's been able to fool an awful lot of pretty smart people for 5 years or so!

Just remember, he only spends what congress allows him to. He doesn't have free reign over the checkbook. No, I'm not happy with some of his spending, but some of it I see as necessary.

As far as the gas prices, of course I'm not happy about it! But we're still talking a free market. I'm not happy I spent $30k for a truck either, but I'm not screaming about how much the CEO of Dodge makes! I wanted the truck badly enough to spend the money! I want to make my business a success badly enough that I'm willing to spend the money I need to on gas to get where I need to go in the vehicle I need to drive to get the job done! I could sure spend a lot less in gas if I had a home depot washer in the back of my little Nissan pickup, but I certainly wouldn't be making as much money either.

Hey, no one is fighting! I think everyone has kept this pretty good natured! If we can't discuss disagreements without it turning into a big fight, we have bigger problems than high gas prices!! :lgbounces

Poor choice of a word, Im just having some fun while my wife watches reruns of America Idol & America Top Models

Now I got to go and write up some proposals, been getting the calls like crazy. I think I'll go back to my uplifting post. But dont forget your all wrong and I'm right lol

See ya all I got to go make some profits for my shareholders "ME"

Poor choice of a word, Im just having some fun while my wife watches reruns of America Idol & America Top Models

Now I got to go and write up some proposals, been getting the calls like crazy. I think I'll go back to my uplifting post. But dont forget your all wrong and I'm right lol

See ya all I got to go make some profits for my shareholders "ME"

LOL!

I'm calling my congressman! I want your profits limited!! :eek:

Just for an experiment, I have elected to participate in a "buy no Exxon-Mobile gas, the largest of the gas moguls. If their profits go down, I believe, as many do, that they will get the message and you will see prices go down and other companies will follow suit. I don't trust the government, or big oil, or any business with a monopoly to look after us folks. Yes, I listen to FOX, and am thankful for the information from all sides. I am not going to get political, but for those of you that want to know what we can do, why not try our idea ? Buy from the B players, see what the A players do. I agree, alternative fuel is the answer, ultimately, but, in the mean time, let's send a message to the big guys that we ain't gonna take it anymore !

Just for an experiment, I have elected to participate in a "buy no Exxon-Mobile gas, the largest of the gas moguls. If their profits go down, I believe, as many do, that they will get the message and you will see prices go down and other companies will follow suit. I don't trust the government, or big oil, or any business with a monopoly to look after us folks. Yes, I listen to FOX, and am thankful for the information from all sides. I am not going to get political, but for those of you that want to know what we can do, why not try our idea ? Buy from the B players, see what the A players do. I agree, alternative fuel is the answer, ultimately, but, in the mean time, let's send a message to the big guys that we ain't gonna take it anymore !

Who ARE the "B" players? Do you really know where the gas you're buying from any particular gas station originated?

Do you really think that if you don't buy a tank of gas from the local Exxon station, anyone at Exxon-Mobile is going to be affected. The only person who will be hurt, if enough people take part, is the small station owner who is making a few pennies/gallon on gas, if that, and who relies on beer and cig sales to make a profit.

Instead of boycotting the local Exxon station why not call their HQ and make a complaint?If you want your voice heard,let them hear your voice personally.

Do you honestly think not buying gas for one day will hurt their bottom line that much?Do you realize how many people not buying gas for a day it would take to make a dent in the oil companies profits?

P.S. Mike is correct the station owner is only making pennies per gallon.I know 2 station owners that could not stay in business if they only sold fuel.

Here's a link to a snopes article about a very similar plan to affect prices by boycotting certain brands:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

I seriously doubt that, even if the idea held water, the .00000000000001% of gas consumers who take part would have any impact whatsoever, other than to consume a bit more gas driving around looking for a gas station that isn't Exxon or Mobile, or who isn't connected in some way to Exxon or Mobile.

My bad now I see the light, could you tell me where to buy a solar pressure washer and maybe a solar truck to go with it to pull my trailer.

Obviously that's a no-go, but you have to look a little more globally. How do you think the electric companies power most of those giant turbines that light your house? Good old fossil fuels. You switch to solar at home, and you have just reduced the consumption of fossil fuels. Less demand = lower prices.

I really dont want to debate every point , but if you dont think that businesses are taking advantage ( not just good business)of the common man and if you dont think our Goverment is helping big biz more than the majority (US!!!) you can believe it. I plan on keeping the emails phone calls going to my reps until they help the majority

Jeff, the different between good margins and price gouging is in the eye of the beholder. No one FORCES you to buy oil. And no one forces them to sell it to you for $2.59/gallon. Every time you buy gas, you and the oil companies have agreed to do business at a given price level. I'm a capitalist pig and a libertarian. IMNSHO, only two people can set the price of an item. The buyer, and the seller.

As for corporate welfare, I am against it. As much as I detest price controls, I also detest corporate subisdies, life support, welfare, whatever. If you cannot survive in the business world, so be it. Die off and your remains become food for the next generation of entrepeneurs.

I need a solar powered, nuclear, bio diesel, hydrogen 3500 psi machine. I'll be the 1st one on the block with one.

I'm apologize for the coarse nature of following response, but the truth is sometimes harsh and ugly;

You can have a 100% biodiesel unit operating this week. The fuel will cost you about $1.00/gallon and you can run the same fuel in the truck, burner, and pump engine. If you are seriously concerned about doing what it takes to lower your energy costs, you will build one together asap and start saving the outrageous amounts of money currently being taken away from you by the big oil companies. On the other hand, if you just think the oil companies make too much money and you have a God given right to some of it, you will continue to seek out your elected officials and convince them to use the power of government to take some of the oil companies money and give it to you.

By definition, the latter is the action of a fascist...

People that work 2 and 3 jobs and wife has to work are doing yhis because they have to pay for all the things they want. There is a big difference in wants and needs. I am the first to admit I made this mistake. Both my kids went to daycare so my wife could work to pay for the bigger house, newer cars, boats, campers, motorcycles. If I could do it all again things would definitely be different.

little off subject but it all has come from snowball effect that WE ALL have contributed to.

Amen! Preach on, brother! Preach on!

I can't think of any corporate leader who is so uniquely capable that they'd be worth tens of millions in salary and benefits per year. I really can't think of anyone worth that kind of money, whether it is a CEO, actor, or athlete.

Let's role play for a second. Mr. Future CEO calls you up and says; "Mike, I'm going to triple the price of your ABCD stock over the next 10 years. But, in return for my efforts I want 1% of the total growth. Are you on board, Mike?"

H**L Yes, I am. And I'll bet you are to. And that's why CEO's get paid tens of millions.

Let's role play for a second. Mr. Future CEO calls you up and says; "Mike, I'm going to triple the price of your ABCD stock over the next 10 years. But, in return for my efforts I want 1% of the total growth. Are you on board, Mike?"

H**L Yes, I am. And I'll bet you are to. And that's why CEO's get paid tens of millions.

Good point, Phillip!

goverment officials all the way up to the prez who lie and will do almost anything to get reelected just to keep control, so they can send the pork to their state. Some years ago it was the dems now its the republican.

No, now it is both. When the republicans were a much smaller minority, they had to run on morla high ground to get a shot at office. Now the republicans have control, and they are abusing it also.

Never trust a man who's ambition is to be control other men.

Obviously that's a no-go, but you have to look a little more globally. How do you think the electric companies power most of those giant turbines that light your house? Good old fossil fuels. You switch to solar at home, and you have just reduced the consumption of fossil fuels. Less demand = lower prices.

Jeff, the different between good margins and price gouging is in the eye of the beholder. No one FORCES you to buy oil. And no one forces them to sell it to you for $2.59/gallon. Every time you buy gas, you and the oil companies have agreed to do business at a given price level. I'm a capitalist pig and a libertarian. IMNSHO, only two people can set the price of an item. The buyer, and the seller.

As for corporate welfare, I am against it. As much as I detest price controls, I also detest corporate subisdies, life support, welfare, whatever. If you cannot survive in the business world, so be it. Die off and your remains become food for the next generation of entrepeneurs.

I'm apologize for the coarse nature of following response, but the truth is sometimes harsh and ugly;

You can have a 100% biodiesel unit operating this week. The fuel will cost you about $1.00/gallon and you can run the same fuel in the truck, burner, and pump engine. If you are seriously concerned about doing what it takes to lower your energy costs, you will build one together asap and start saving the outrageous amounts of money currently being taken away from you by the big oil companies. On the other hand, if you just think the oil companies make too much money and you have a God given right to some of it, you will continue to seek out your elected officials and convince them to use the power of government to take some of the oil companies money and give it to you.

By definition, the latter is the action of a fascist...[/qu

Phillip, you can try to have an answer for everything, but you are somewhat wrong on many things.

We could have had many of these alternitive forms of energy at least 2 decades ago. But our Goverment has done very little to promote it until recently, very recently alot has to do with oil companies that behind the scenes fought against it. Its a fact.

Alot of the other forms of energy are not cost effective or affordable yet and they could of been years ago. I cant build one now because all my other cost are to much. But if I was a big corp the Goverment would subsidize it probably

As for CEO's making 50-100 million in a year, its ridiculous and as we've seen time & time again it can breed corruption and many unethical practices and they will do anything for that profit legal & illegal.

Just like the CEO's of cigarette companies some years ago said smoking wasnt addictive, when they knew for years it was. Corp America isn't Gods gift to America like you think. They are just people like us, some good, some OK, some bad and some very bad. But they have more money and say than millions of us, They hire public relations, lobbyist and they can usually get what they want. Who can we hire, I cant afford a lobbyist or a all this alternitive fuel equipment. Its a catch 22

I dont want the goverment to take their profits, I never said that. I want the goverment to tell them to give us a break

Not to be course but I think a lot of your replies are ..........and totally misguided, but thats just my opinion

NO ONE FORCES ME TO BUY OIL, what world do you live in, thats FUNNY

Just my $.0000000000002

JL

We could have had many of these alternitive forms of energy at least 2 decades ago. But our Goverment has done very little to promote it until recently, very recently alot has to do with oil companies that behind the scenes fought against it. Its a fact.

Aaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Why is it the government's job to promote alternative energy sources??? Private industry does much better at that type of thing! Stop blaming the government and blame our own fat, apathetic, lazy ******! Why hasn't private industry pursued this like they could have?? The demand wasn't there!

As for CEO's making 50-100 million in a year, its ridiculous and as we've seen time & time again it can breed corruption and many unethical practices and they will do anything for that profit legal & illegal.

Phillip did have a good point...and I believe I made a similar point in reference to the Exxon CEO...If the guy made the difference in small profits or huge profits, why isn't he worth what he was paid? If I could make you 100 million bucks next year by sharing with you some things I know, and all I wanted was 10 million of that, would you gripe that I wasn't worth 10mil or would you jump at the chance to make 90 million?

It doesn't take 50 or 100 million bucks to breed corruption or unethical practices. All it takes is a bit of power and opportunity, whether it is on a large or small scale. It only makes the news when some CEO rips off a company for millions, but it happens every day on a smaller scale.

Corp America isn't Gods gift to America like you think. They are just people like us, some good, some OK, some bad and some very bad. But they have more money and say than millions of us, They hire public relations, lobbyist and they can usually get what they want. Who can we hire, I cant afford a lobbyist or a all this alternitive fuel equipment. Its a catch 22

Not really. If enough people like you vote the other way, the politicians will ignore the lobbyists and take notice of what the public wants. The problem isn't the lobbyists, it is a fat, lazy, apathetic population.

I dont want the goverment to take their profits, I never said that. I want the goverment to tell them to give us a break

Same thing. You want them to make less profit. That's what you're saying. If they charge less, they make less money. Simple.

The government has engines that will run on water stored in the same warehouse with the aliens and their space craft.

No need for fossil fuel.....change the company name to Amish Pressure Washing.Put a tank and huge hand pump on a wagon and pull it with a couple of good draft horses.Have your helpers take turns operating the pump.Problem solved.

Can you tell I'm sick of this????????Raise your prices to accommodate the gas prices.If customer complain explain the need for the increase.I promise most understand.