Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Gas prices

Question

Hear we go again gas prices are going up & up. What a PITA, call or email your elected officials and tell them youu want lower prices, if enough people complain to our elected officials, the prices usually come down. Tell them you'll vote this upcoming election.

Its all a game.

I just saw that the head of Exxon is retiring this month or year and his retirment package is $ 450,000,000 Thats right 450 Million and he made $52 million last year.

Tell me they arent taking advantage of us. capitalism is fine but this is ridiculous. Call your congressman & reps and tell them their jobs are on the line

www.senate.gov or www.house.gov you can find your reps & congressmen and email or call them

JL

172 answers to this question

What if they government set limits on how much you can charge for a pressure washing? Your actual costs are low so the profit margin is pretty high. Customers should complain about that too?

Business basics, if it is a hot commodity, people will pay.

Just a little thought not trying to be argumentative, I pay $3.00/gal for diesel and don't like it one bit.

What if they government set limits on how much you can charge for a pressure washing? Your actual costs are low so the profit margin is pretty high. Customers should complain about that too?

Business basics, if it is a hot commodity, people will pay.

Just a little thought not trying to be argumentative, I pay $3.00/gal for diesel and don't like it one bit.

There is something called price gouging, greed and just taking advantage of things. If people didnt have to work 2, 3 jobs and both parents work just to get by and if wages for everyone was increasing I'd agree, but I personally think oil companies and the middle east is just taking advantage of us, just my opinion.

I have a lot of people who wont pay my rates and they do go to others for PWing, who can we go to for cheaper gas prices???????????

JL

yeah u think it's bad now, wait till next summer word is you'll pay 3.75 a gallon for regular. then wait till a hurricane comes again, then wait till china becomes more of an automotive power house, then wait till the head of exxon mobile wants to bend you over for nothing at all, we all complain about these prices but in all reality we do nothing about it. try not buying gas for a 2 week period then watch. but my guess is it will still go up. wonder how everything is going up except your pay!

If you take into consideration inflation since 1981, gas prices should be over $5 a gallon. Do I like the prices now? Hell no! Is it changing my buying habits? Hell yes! Do I charge my customers to cover the added expense? Yes, what ever the market will bare!

I remember in the 70's when Carter put price controls into effect for gas. I lost three months of my life waiting in lines for gas. At least now there is no shortagage of gas. I have to pay a premium (no pun intended) for it, but at least I can still get it. Why should the oil companies produce more oil if there was not a profit motive? They should out of the kindness of their heart, or for the sake of the nation. Give me a break.

Gouging? As an example Jeff, lets say a hurricane hits Myrtle Beach and you need water for your expectant wife and little one. A grocery store has water at the regular price ($1.29 per gallon as an example). A shopper comes in before you and buys every drop of water in the store. So you get no water for your wife and kid. But if the grocery store charged $8.00 per gallon, then the shopper before you would have to think twice about buying all the water. Thus you have a chance to buy water to save your wife and kid. Price gouging? It is all in how you look at it. I tend to look at it as supply and demand forces at work. I don't always like it, but some times it is for the best.

Let's not forget that there is a greater worldwide demand for oil now. Everyone is using more, especially China.

And why have we not drilled for the abundant oil in the US or built a new refinery in years? It's just politics. So there is more blame to go around.

Smokey51

i tink the reason we have'nt drilled yet is because we're waiting for every bit to dry up else where so we can hoard are own, just my .02

Maybe one day we can sell the Middle East crude at $200/barrell

Has anyone checked the prices for petro in Korea, China, Germany or England. We get away cheap.

Its all a game and I wish it wasnt, thats all!

But I still emailed my reps and made my opinion clear on the gas prices & illegal immigration. I vote and I want to be heard and if more of us voted and were involved maybe we could make things better & be heard.

Gas prices suck, double the price in 2 years, I wish I could double the price of all the condos I do. Do a condo in 2004 for $500 a building and charge $1000 in 2006 that would be great!

I know market, capitalism, free trade all that, but like i said its all just a game and 90% of the working class dont get to make the rules. I dont want to argue its just a game

There is something called price gouging, greed and just taking advantage of things.

Jeff, you and I are normally on the same page but I could not disagree with you more. Greed is in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of guys working for $100/day who cannot understand why you are so "greedy" trying to get $100/hr.

My I suggest a book? Read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and then call me back on this subject.

If people didnt have to work 2, 3 jobs and both parents work just to get by

Blame excessive taxation and government waste. I work to keep up our families standard of living. My wife works to pay our taxes...

if wages for everyone was increasing I'd agree

That would be inflationary. And gas prices would RISE as a result.

I personally think oil companies and the middle east is just taking advantage of us, just my opinion.

They middle east: yes. Those capitalist hating countries are exploiting capitalism to it's fullest.

The oil companies are just making a buck like you and I. And because you, I, and everyone else on this board buys machinery that runs on petroleum products, they have us by the shorts. WE have given them a guaranteed demand that far outstrips supply. And they are getting wealthy because of it. I think it's brilliant business if you ask me.

If you want gas prices to fall, lower demand. Find and use alternative sources of energy. i.e. Set yourself up to be able to take advantage of their competition. Which is a great segue to your next question.

I have a lot of people who wont pay my rates and they do go to others for PWing, who can we go to for cheaper gas prices?

Biodiesel, alcohol, hydrogen, electric. And electric can be made from wind, water, solar, or nuclear. You have options, they are all just less convienent to use (biodiesel, alcohol), more expensive than gas (solar, hydrogen), or they come in a form that you do not own the means to utilize (electric, hydrogen). In any case, their are viable alternatives. As I said before, YOU have chosen to purchase equipment that cannot take advantage of them. Hence, YOU have given the gas companies the gun they rob you with.

One last noteL In the case of alternative fuels that are more expensive than gas (i.e. solar, alcohol), think about this: You are pissed at the gas company for their outrageous prices, yet they are providing one of the cheapest product available.

Jeff, you and I are normally on the same page but I could not disagree with you more. Greed is in the eye of the beholder. There are plenty of guys working for $100/day who cannot understand why you are so "greedy" trying to get $100/hr.

My I suggest a book? Read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and then call me back on this subject.

Blame excessive taxation and government waste. I work to keep up our families standard of living. My wife works to pay our taxes...

That would be inflationary. And gas prices would RISE as a result.

They middle east: yes. Those capitalist hating countries are exploiting capitalism to it's fullest.

The oil companies are just making a buck like you and I. And because you, I, and everyone else on this board buys machinery that runs on petroleum products, they have us by the shorts. WE have given them a guaranteed demand that far outstrips supply. And they are getting wealthy because of it. I think it's brilliant business if you ask me.

If you want gas prices to fall, lower demand. Find and use alternative sources of energy. i.e. Set yourself up to be able to take advantage of their competition. Which is a great segue to your next question.

Biodiesel, alcohol, hydrogen, electric. And electric can be made from wind, water, solar, or nuclear. You have options, they are all just less convienent to use (biodiesel, alcohol), more expensive than gas (solar, hydrogen), or they come in a form that you do not own the means to utilize (electric, hydrogen). In any case, their are viable alternatives. As I said before, YOU have chosen to purchase equipment that cannot take advantage of them. Hence, YOU have given the gas companies the gun they rob you with.

One last noteL In the case of alternative fuels that are more expensive than gas (i.e. solar, alcohol), think about this: You are pissed at the gas company for their outrageous prices, yet they are providing one of the cheapest product available.

Man you got an answer for everything. My bad now I see the light, could you tell me where to buy a solar pressure washer and maybe a solar truck to go with it to pull my trailer.

I really dont want to debate every point , but if you dont think that businesses are taking advantage ( not just good business)of the common man and if you dont think our Goverment is helping big biz more than the majority (US!!!) you can believe it. I plan on keeping the emails phone calls going to my reps until they help the majority

You see they congress will have a couple hearing on gas prices and the prices will come down a little and then in months go up more. Its a game

How about nuclear? Iran just wants it for electric right?

Thats what I need a solar powered, nuclear, bio diesel, hydrogen 3500 psi machine. I'll be the 1st one on the block with one.

Everybody to their own opinion Right!

Have a good one

JL

I'm sorry I always get in these debates but I feel for my fellow Americans and everyday I see people in my state that work up to 2 hours just to pay for gas to get to work. Not all people are fortunate like me and some of us. The State & federal goverment let a lot of people in my state down for generations, They havent provided good schools, they have purposely kept people down for years. Ive met many wonderful, very hard working people in this state that cant read or write and therefore cant ever think of starting their own business or cant ever have what many of us have and I dont like the fact that the poor are getting poorer and the middle clas a majority of them are having to work so much, it may be taxes but I only see a majority of the tax cuts going to businesses that are lowering the wages of our people. We nation build all over the world but our own are suffering or at least having a very rough time just getting by

I'm from Boston Ma and now live in SC, Ive seen a lot of different things down here than I did up north and a lot of it isnt the fault of the person with the low paying job that barely can pay for his or her gas

NOTE TO SELF - Shut up

Really Really Really i wont say anymore on this subject!!!!!! Now dont get me started again or I'll start about immigration & GB & health care LOL

JL The bleeding heart liberal from MA.

When I read Jeff's first post I really thought people would side with him, man was I wrong. Personally I think gas prices are bullsh*t, right along with too high of taxes, surcharges on my phone bill, transportation charges on my natural gas bill, illeagal immigrants that don't speaka english in my town, soon to be foreign cars in Nascar, and too many gays on t.v.!! Yea, I know I have to deal with it, and that's the way it is, and it won't change, but I don't have to like it.

I for one cannot wait until ethanol becomes the fuel of the world. Think how beneficial to this country a cheaper alternative to fossil fuels that can be manufactured from something that can be grown in %80 of the country. We might have to start paying a little bit more for pop corn but hey...

I for one cannot wait until ethanol becomes the fuel of the world. Think how beneficial to this country a cheaper alternative to fossil fuels that can be manufactured from something that can be grown in %80 of the country. We might have to start paying a little bit more for pop corn but hey...

i'd quit eating popcorn. Hey maybe then we could bend over OPEC and give them one were the sun don't shine. I have seen an ethanol blend at some stations in our state. One thing that helps me is I have a honda civic that gets really good gas mileage that I use for all of my running around. I only drive the gas guzzler (full size Dodge) when I need to. I am trying to figure out how to mount a class 4 hitch on the honda to pull my trailer. maybe add air bags to the suspension and some brakes on the trailer.

Now dont get me started about POPCORN, I just came from the Movies with my family and its big biz trying to get me where ever I go. ONLY KIDDING LOL, Popcorns more expensive than gas

Had a nice time with my family. My son Joshua turned 3 today

Thats my boy banging away at his Birthday party Saturday, I love that little guy, he's getting so big so fast

JL

Yea popcorn at the movies here is $4.50 for a small, I can't imagine it once all the corn starts getting turned into ethanol. I am going to buy as much as I can right now, then make a fortune by selling it later on ebay.

Gas update in Atlanta GA... El Cheapo regular at QuickTrip just hit $2.72. So I figured make every mile count... if you have only one job (house, driveway or whatever) on the board, as soon as its finished, go to the house, driveway or whatever next door and offer them the service, you're there anyway and you can do some show and sell.

PS. FairTax anyone?

I had a long reply and lost it. BUSH 43 is the worst President!

Yeah, remember the gas lines of the 70s? Remember the energy crisis and double digit interest rates and all the crap we went throug with Iran? I'd have to say that President was much worse than GW, and he still wasn't the worst.

Do you guys really think it is all as simple as a bunch of oil company execs sitting in board rooms deciding "Hey, lets jack up the price of gas this month" or "Let's give the folks a break and drop gas prices this month"??? If so, you're just a bit naieve and uninformed. Do you really believe GW (and our elected representatives) took us into Iraq so that oil companies could get rich? From what you're saying, they're already getting rich, they don't need Iraq! Stop spouting anti-Bush rhetoric and THINK!

People that work 2 and 3 jobs and wife has to work are doing yhis because they have to pay for all the things they want. There is a big difference in wants and needs. I am the first to admit I made this mistake. Both my kids went to daycare so my wife could work to pay for the bigger house, newer cars, boats, campers, motorcycles. If I could do it all again things would definitely be different.

little off subject but it all has come from snowball effect that WE ALL have contributed to.

People that work 2 and 3 jobs and wife has to work are doing yhis because they have to pay for all the things they want. There is a big difference in wants and needs. I am the first to admit I made this mistake. Both my kids went to daycare so my wife could work to pay for the bigger house, newer cars, boats, campers, motorcycles. If I could do it all again things would definitely be different.

little off subject but it all has come from snowball effect that WE ALL have contributed to.

Exactly! Even today most people could support their family on one paycheck if they plan well, and don't give in to what society tells us, that we need a new car, big house, vacations, big TV, $100.00 cable bills, $50.00 dsl bills, new furniture, the best of everything, gotta eat out at least once or twice/week, gotta have all the newest and cutting edge tech gear, etc etc etc.

So gas has doubled in the past two years or so... I'm not crazy about the idea, but I can live with it. I use about 300 gallons of gas/month if I'm fairly busy...so gas went up $1.50/gallon, so now I'm paying $450.00/month more than I did two years ago...I can say my prices have gone up way more than $450.00/month from two years ago.

Anyone want to guess how much exxon has spent drilling for oil in the last decade. Cant find exact numbers but its in the 10s of billions of dollars. and when prices are lower, the still spend on drilling.

about their profit (from last year, 3rd quarter profit figure):

On revenue of $100.7 billion a pretax profit of $9.92 billion represents a pretax profit margin of just 9.95%.

By comparison, Dell Computer's latest pretax profit margin was 9.18%, IBM 12.74%, GE 14.52%, Citibank 30.01%, JP Morgan 17.91%, Pfizer 15.54%, Berkshire Hathaway 9.72%, Viacom (CBS) -75.85% and big bad (sarcasm) Walmart 3.59%. Can you call the Exxon profits excessive? No. But you can sure see why CBS would be complaining about them. Exxon's profits only look gargantuan because of the scale they operate on. Most people who owned a mutual fund that only returned 9.95% during a Bull Market for stocks would not brag. Exxon only returning 9.95% on it's capital during a price spike in the commodity it sold is almost frightening.

With the 10-20grand we have invested in our equipment (or more) would we be happy with a 1-2K profit every quarter?? remember, this is pretax profit. and they are a US based corporation.