Sign in to follow this  
Ron Musgraves

Teachers with Guns?

Question

Teachers with guns? Lawmaker proposes - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com

Are we nuts, teachers carrying hand guns to protect students.

I hate to say it but what teacher will shoot the first student?

Couldnt we just use security or police to protect students in these problems Schools? Have we lost our minds?

What do you guys think about this one?

67 answers to this question

Maybe not... but I don't get why anyone capable of making a living does stuff like that. It doesn't seem right to me.

Beth

Having worked in the subsidized housing industry for years, I can say that though it may not seem right to you, it is certainly common in certain demographics...It becomes an entitlement, and these people learn to work the system.

Not everyone is.[/quote]

And those are the ones that some ballsy government official needs to CUT OFF.

Celeste

Well, the ones who aren't willing, sure. The ones who aren't capable are the ones for whom the system was put into place

Not everyone is.[/quote]

And those are the ones that some ballsy government official needs to CUT OFF.

Celeste

You got that right. 100 percent right!

How does Skinner say it?

Sure got that right

You don't get it do you.... I never thought to ask. It's not who I am. And quite frankly, I don't think it even works that way around here. To have an IEP, around here involves a Dr's diagnosis and test results. You don't just walk into the school office with your hand out and get one. There is Dr testing, there is school testing, there is a panel that evaluates each child...it's a huge deal. Around here, the kids with IEP need them, and the parents and teachers work together for the benefit of the student. It's not a crutch, or a meal ticket. We live in a zero tolerance area. Any kid - any at all with any weapon is gone - out. No second chance. No bullying, no harassment, no drugs - zero tolerance. Girls can't even bring a Midol to school for their period. It's pretty extreme. But...it works.

Beth

It may work in your school, but in many inner city schools theres NO zero tolarance. Bullying, Harassment & drugs are just part of the school day. I have seen a couple inner city schools and HELL it is HELL, really.

I have seen and known people that were very good at using the system. Go work in Ricks school for a couple years, you wont be surprised by what he is saying anymore

I didnt mean to start a mess, well I didnt think things where that bad?

I guess I'm sheltered here in Gilbert Arizona.

Whats next? bus drivers , janitor, patrol person.

I mean lets hire pros, police , private security anything but educators.

I think having police present and a car out front helps.

Scott Stone knows a School that has a police car out front because he and i drive by everyday. Mesa Jr. High, the School is in and area thats mostly hispanic. Most likely ilegal aliens children that are citizens. The School has a patrol car everyday in the same spot, I know because i Slow down passing the School when going by because I never know when he might be in the car.

The cars been parked there for 10 years, I still slow down everytime I see it.

I guess it works for me, I dont slow down when i ride by the private School about two blocks away.

Some years back the police used to park their cars around the back, out of sight because they didn’t want to make an impression to the public that a police presence was necessary at a public school. These days, with the public more aware of school conditions, the police park their cars out front so they will be easily seen by the public. A type of assurance I guess.

I just cant see teachers packing guns, I dont think education is the place for weapons.

If you want to carry a gun as and adult off work thats great. Guns dont belong in the work place either. People that need weapons to wait tables or work at a convience store is ridiculous.

If I allowed my guys to carry guns witch I'm sure a couple probably do. I would have a problem if they shot someone. They often get into problems with homeless, drug dealers and all sorts of nuts on the street.

Fourtuantly we have had no serious problems, we have been shot at, robed , chased, trucks and rig stolen. Here's the deal, the truck was replaced, no one was hurt.

I couldnt imagine shooting a child reguardless if they have agun on them or not.

Just wait till the kid brings a Toy gun to School and a teacher unloads 20 rounds in his chest and kills three people standing by the child with a toy gun. The sick thing is thats whats got to happen for us to realise its not a great idea after all.

Several of my friends that snowplow with me carry guns in their trucks. We are usually out late at night and carry quite a bit of cash from customers that pay us in cash. I perfer checks. Only once did my friend have to pull his gun a someone. He was plowing a parking lot when someone ran up to his truck and opened the passanger door. Jim pulled his gun and that's all it took for that guy to go running off in the other direction.

I just cant see teachers packing guns, I dont think education is the place for weapons.

If you want to carry a gun as and adult off work thats great. Guns dont belong in the work place either. People that need weapons to wait tables or work at a convience store is ridiculous.

If I allowed my guys to carry guns witch I'm sure a couple probably do. I would have a problem if they shot someone. They often get into problems with homeless, drug dealers and all sorts of nuts on the street.

Fourtuantly we have had no serious problems, we have been shot at, robed , chased, trucks and rig stolen. Here's the deal, the truck was replaced, no one was hurt.

I couldnt imagine shooting a child reguardless if they have agun on them or not.

Just wait till the kid brings a Toy gun to School and a teacher unloads 20 rounds in his chest and kills three people standing by the child with a toy gun. The sick thing is thats whats got to happen for us to realise its not a great idea after all.

I'm sure those clerks who have been injured or killed during a convenience store robbery wished they had a gun....Not ridiculous at all to carry a weapon at work if you work where violence may happen...

I'm sure those clerks who have been injured or killed during a convenience store robbery wished they had a gun....Not ridiculous at all to carry a weapon at work if you work where violence may happen...

Like Columbine??

There is no simple, realistic answer to this mess.

I suppose if we could spin the clock back 50 years, we might have a chance for more parents to take ownership and responsibility again?

Funny how people think that carrying a gun makes someone trigger happy.

I carry, I dont take the gun into places with children. If i go to a place where kids are I leave the gun.

I think we need to make the schools safer and let professionals carry guns. they are talking about having classes for teachers to pack guns. Lets have teachers educate themselves in awareness on regonizing problem with children and prevent dangers.

I'm certainly not for gun control, I just dont believe children should be subject to the threat of teachers and mentors having firearms to solve problems.

Second, i dont want teachers handling this job, i want them to teach.

Third , I respect everyones views and do understand there may be cirmstances that carrying might be ok. My problem with this is as soon as one does it all want too.

Again, if a store is that bad you need a gun to work for 7 dollars and hour. Get another job and let them close or put you in bullet proof glass.

I see if you carry large amount of money andyour a target. carry a weapon and protect yourself.

Like Columbine??

There is no simple, realistic answer to this mess.

I suppose if we could spin the clock back 50 years, we might have a chance for more parents to take ownership and responsibility again?

Yes, like Columbine, or any other school where this stuff has happened.

And amen to getting more parents to take ownership and responsibility rather than leaving that to the government.

Again, if a store is that bad you need a gun to work for 7 dollars and hour. Get another job and let them close or put you in bullet proof glass.

I see if you carry large amount of money andyour a target. carry a weapon and protect yourself.

The problem is that a store doesn't have to be "that bad" for some scumbag to decide it is an easy target...You don't have to be carrying a large amount of money to be a target...People are killed for a few dollars just so some scumbag can get his next fix.

Maybe you're not the clerk making 7/hour...maybe you're the owner...

The problem is that a store doesn't have to be "that bad" for some scumbag to decide it is an easy target...You don't have to be carrying a large amount of money to be a target...People are killed for a few dollars just so some scumbag can get his next fix.

Maybe you're not the clerk making 7/hour...maybe you're the owner...

I guess we really are off subject, comparing a clerk to a teachers or anyone else carry a gun to me is silly.

educators have no business carrying a weapon.

I coach proffessionally, I have been in some bad places playing a ball game. i have come back to hotel room robbed, cars broken into.

I guess my point all this would not be worth shooting the kid that did that. I got new stuff, if it was my life i guess it was my time.

I coach children and I guess i could get shot driving down the raod anyday of the week. I dont carry a gun, I have nothing agaist them but i would never imagine my image to children thats coach ron the packing cowboy coach. Can you imagine the next the argument with and umpire. Well maybe I could see that being and advantage.LOL

I just think our children have should not be in places where we need weapon to teach them.

We need to fix this another way. Its just my thoughts

Another shooting/murder in a school yesterday.

A school is basically the same as any other place. If they want to do a shooting in a school there's not much we can do. If they want to do a shooting in a shopping mall there's not much we can do. If they want to do a shooting at a baseball game there's not much we can do. You get the idea. I think the same rule applies for most anything. Doesn't matter how many alarms you have on your car, if they want it they'll get it. Is your house secure enough? Never is.

Ron,

You say leave the gun business to the pros and let the teachers teach. They would be teaching unless a situation arose and they needed to protect themselves and their students.

No different than me saying you stick to washing and let the Police and Security protect you.

You have mentioned not wanting to shoot a child more than a couple times here, but the fact is if you could prevent many childrens and or adult lives from being taken by a crazy kid, would you not take that shot.

I know I would based on I could not watch people being wounded or killed just for the sake of not shooting the shooter based on age alone. Nothing says you have to kill them, just incapacitate them.

All areas are different but here the Police have resource officers that rotate throught the schools to chat with the kids and gain trust, and who will respond first to a school incident. We do not have officers assigned to schools full time. One or two officers on an entire campus will not do much if a kid or anyone else wants to start shooting. They can call for back up if they here shots, as anyone else can call 911 for the same. Having teachers armed I believe would dampen the spirit of would be shooters, as they would not have so much control until the cops could get the situation under control, and may just squash their idea before it hatches.

I guess we really are off subject, comparing a clerk to a teachers or anyone else carry a gun to me is silly.

educators have no business carrying a weapon.

I coach proffessionally, I have been in some bad places playing a ball game. i have come back to hotel room robbed, cars broken into.

I guess my point all this would not be worth shooting the kid that did that. I got new stuff, if it was my life i guess it was my time.

I coach children and I guess i could get shot driving down the raod anyday of the week. I dont carry a gun, I have nothing agaist them but i would never imagine my image to children thats coach ron the packing cowboy coach. Can you imagine the next the argument with and umpire. Well maybe I could see that being and advantage.LOL

I just think our children have should not be in places where we need weapon to teach them.

We need to fix this another way. Its just my thoughts

Hey, you're the one who said people have no business carrying guns at work.

Why does someone who carries a gun have to be stereotyped as a "cowboy"? I know quite a few people who carry day in and day out...none of them fits that stereotype...

Hey, you're the one who said people have no business carrying guns at work.

Why does someone who carries a gun have to be stereotyped as a "cowboy"? I know quite a few people who carry day in and day out...none of them fits that stereotype...

Yeah, but i'm sure they wish they never have to use it?

Yeah, but i'm sure they wish they never have to use it?

I would hope that would be the case with anyone carrying, unless they have mental issues....I have several guns...hope I never need to use any of them on another person. But if the day ever comes where I need to protect my family or myself, I'll be glad I have them.

I carry and have daily for about 17yrs.

If you remember a few months ago I had a crackhead try to hold me up.He was armed with a pair of needle nose pliers.My 380 was a good deterent and may have prevented me from getting stabbed with pliers that had been God know where.