Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Welcome New Members! ..Introduce yourself

Question

New members continue to join The Grime Scene daily and I would like to welcome you all to the board. If you have a few extra minutes, take the time to introduce yourself and let us know a little about you and your company. No need to be shy here, we are all trying to acomplish the same thing here... network with others, educate yourself, and make some new friends. Welcome Again, and I look forward to talking to you all soon.

:lgwave:

305 answers to this question

Hello all,

I thought I would jump into the fray. Been around a bit but usually only try to be active on a couple of BBS's. A converted painter by trade but really enjoy the wood. I started out focusing on house washes for the painting leads and I still do most, except roofs, but really only market and push the wood and commercial PW.

Other than the two BBS's I will occassionally peep in once a month or so here and else where but have never participated. I wanted to focus and pursue much more wood this year and TGS has such great depth that I felt I should do the intro and start posting or contributing.

Hello and thank you for this site!

My name is Ralph Cook jr.

I own a cleaning company for 20 years on Cape Cod Ma.

This year I attended a great seminar Sun Brite in Orlando Fl. I have opened a new division to serve my customers "Pressure washing homes roofs decks lots of cedar and asphalt shingles". Even though I did the seminar and bought all the best equipment to begin, I am no fool I know that I am empty on experience. You see I have seen the need to diversify because of the economic changes to my company. I am looking for help from an experienced person who can do what I am offering my customers with me and my help. Please if you know someone I would pay travel and provide accommodations and pay to the right person who can go on the roof..do the deck and wood cedar shingles along with my team of schooled help. I know the pain of establishing a poor reputation so this is good for me do begin my journey on the right foot. And if someone would like a job with housing I could see about that as well. Any questions you can call me also at 508-922-7993

Thank you Ralph

Hello and thank you for this site!

My name is Ralph Cook jr.I own a cleaning company for 20 years on Cape Cod Ma.

This year I attended a great seminar Sun Brite in Orlando Fl. I have opened a new division to serve my customers "Pressure washing homes roofs decks lots of cedar and asphalt shingles". Even though I did the seminar and bought all the best equipment to begin, I am no fool I know that I am empty on experience. You see I have seen the need to diversify because of the economic changes to my company. I am looking for help from an experienced person who can do what I am offering my customers with me and my help. Please if you know someone I would pay travel and provide accommodations and pay to the right person who can go on the roof..do the deck and wood cedar shingles along with my team of schooled help. I know the pain of establishing a poor reputation so this is good for me do begin my journey on the right foot. And if someone would like a job with housing I could see about that as well. Any questions you can call me also at 508-922-7993

Thank you Ralph

Hello to every one and Thank you. My Name is Nate and I am just getting started in business. I should be washing by April 1st. I would like to say thank you for the wealth of knowledge everyone has shared, it has helped so much in putting togethor my business plan and making the descision to start my business. I know I will have lots of questions and look foward to getting to know everyone here. I am very excited to get started in business and will be concentrating on fleet washing. any one with suggestions advice is always welcomed.

Okay, I've got to be careful about saying anything that could tip my present employer off that I'm looking into going into business for myself, even though I won't be a competitor for them in any way. They might even be a customer of my new biz some day. (And I'm not planning on giving up my "real" job, at least not until I really get things rolling on the new idea.)

My background is largely in law enforcement and security. I'm a Vietnam-era veteran of the Air Force Security Police,and while I don't consider myself "disabled," my VA rating may come in handy when it comes time to hand in applications to the SBA. ;)

I've been working for a railroad for several years now, doing lots of other things, but still see a lot of trespassing and vandalism going on, including graffiti. I am a great believer in the "broken windows theory," which basically says that if an area looks like a dump, some people will be more likely to treat it like a dump. I'm a member of the Nograf Network Inc., and to me graffiti is a symptom of other problems as well as being a disease all on its own. I'm gonna get on a rant here if I don't change direction pretty quick. :rant:

Getting the "tagging" out of an area is one step toward cleaning up "urban blight," and making the area attractive to people who will enjoy it without having to leave surreptitious evidence that they were there.

With that in mind, I'm looking into doing power washing and dry ice blasting, specializing in graffiti abatement, but also taking on other jobs suited to either of those methods.

Another part of my plan is to offer something else nobody in my area seems to have even heard of: motion-detecting cameras for apprehending those involved in "antisocial behavior" like tagging. There are several companies making cameras that not only start taking pictures of an intruder, but send an alert to the camera owner's cell phone, with images.

Somebody with some technical know-how needs to show potential customers how that can work for catching the offenders in the act, and making them pay restitution for their damage. I think I'm that "somebody."

I've only been a member here for a couple of days, but I've already gotten a ton of good information. I'm looking forward to learning even more, and I hope some day I can help somebody else out.

Hi, Nate--

My Name is Nate and I am just getting started in business. I should be washing by April 1st.
You just inspired me to set a target date, something I haven't had up until now.

I think I'm going to shoot for 04/01 also. The weather is improving, but if it's still cold by then, I think a coating of ice on something isn't really a bad thing: the next time it gets dirty, you just knock the ice off, and the dirt goes with it.

No, I don't really think customers will buy that, either. :D

Good luck to you and all the members here.

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Justin Owner/Operator of Southeastern Pro Wash L.L.C..

This board is a great source of information. I have no doubt that it will help me to grow my business.

Thanks

Edited by JustinWelch

Hey everyone. I'm Dave Nielsen in Pensacola, FL. I got my company off of the ground a little over a month ago (early Feb). I'm focusing on commercial flatwork and buildings. I have really enjoyed the humor and information within TGS. Pretty steep learning curve in this business. I must spend at least two hours per day reading old posts. I am already switching from a trailer to a truck mounted rig (w3500 flatbed) and am in the process of designing my reclaimation system. I wouldn't have ever gotten off of the ground without the people in the forum. So... Hello and THANKS!!!

Hi, my name is Keith. I have been painting custom homes for the last 8 years in Reynolds Plantation (for a company). I have been doing side work including painting, pressure washing and sealing decks. I am looking to start getting more jobs and remain part time to start and hopefully work my way into having my own business. I have been a lurker for a bit and learned that I knew about half as much as I thought I knew about pressure washing and wood restoration. I have learned a good bit by reading through old threads. I hope to learn more from this forum and contribute as much as I can when I can.

There are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people on this forum and I thank you all for the knowledge that you share.

Doug,

The area has grown a lot over the last ten or even 5 years. It is slowing down now due to the economy, but it can't last forever right? I have only actually been out on Oconee once. I borrowed the Builder's boat and my wife and I went out for several hours. We had a good time.

Hi, Im new to the board.. I've been doing a ton of research and this seems to be the best place for information by far. Basically I am starting up a new pressure washing business, hoping to be 100% operational and ready for business as of Aug. 1st. I'm starting out as a side business but with the aspiration to turn it into a full time career with the goal of being able to unleash myself from corporate america. I have a pretty good machine to start out with, it's a Dewalt 4GPM, 3800PSI with extra hoses, waterbroom and etc. Figure it should be a good place to start with work in the residential market.

Thanks in advance for all of the advice and information that I have already read and will read as time goes on. Perhaps one day I can contribute something back!

Hi, I'm Sam.

I just resently starting pressure washing full time after working in the wood veneer business since I was 18, that was in 1979.

My primary wood veneer I produced on a regular basis was Eastern Red Cedar. I supplied Lane Cedar Chest Co. and most furniture manufacturers in High Point, NC.

My last employer down here in Alabama bought my Veneer operation and I have been running it for him since '02. We resently closed the mill and that's when I decided to pressure wash full time. My Ex Boss also owns a Trucking company and a Logging Company so he is my main customer as of now.

I can't wait to show people what I can do with a driveway or walkway.

I enjoy reading and learning from each of you on this Forum.

I will add what I can when I can.

I hope soon, I'm too busy to read to much on here, just catch up on rainy days...lol

Edited by CedarSam

Hello Folks.

Name's Dmitry aka D. I live in Jackson ,MS.

I became addicted to the wealth of knowledge found this board. Great minds,great reading material.

After years in manufacturing (ASME welder) I was laid off.

I always wanted to start my own business. So although I haven't decided for sure to be a pressure washer I am learning all I can about this trade.And more I learn the more I like the idea of becoming one. You'll see me asking lots of questions so please,be patient :-)

Have a wonderful day,y'all :-)

D

Welcome D! I think that you'll find this board an awesome resource for whatever info you're looking for. May I suggest - if you haven't already - that you use the search feature at the top of the screen. See 'ya 'round!

Hi, my name's Doug Black. I started pressure washing in high school as a Bleach Bandit ( a good one though :D) and quit for college. I was an Academy of Finance teacher,was in retail management, have helped oversee some residential home construction and recently have left my job to start my own business. I am studying handyman type construction full time but currently offer only pressurewashing. I have a 20hp 4500psi 5GPM cold water gas machine and a mosmatic 21' surface cleaner. My girlfriend currently makes a lot more than me but I'm fine with that. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and thanks for the site. Please forgive my website...it is very very ugly. May take it down for a bit too. Just started it yesterday.

Hello grime scene,

My name is Mark and I've been pressure washing over the summer and fall part time to help out. I have worked in the maintenance field for 20 + years and have done some pressure washing here and there but haven't done this full time for a living. I've been reading a lot of the threads that pertain to house washing, some flat work and equipment and there's a great deal of info to take in and I appreciate all the knowledge that everyone donates to the grime scene that I read. I don't want to sound like I'm handicapped at PW but I need help. I know I need better equipment but was waiting until the beginning of the year so I could pick and chose the right gear because I have limited cash and want to research more but I still have jobs every other week and it is killin’ me. I just had a two story house to wash (vinyl siding) and they needed the gutters cleaned also and probably never had them cleaned but were full. I figured to be there 4 to 5 hours because I’m a newbie, I left 5 hours later and I’m still not done. After getting all the crud out and being drenched with the sludge I used some gutter zap on the total black outer surface. I didn’t use the X-jet for this, I have a sprayer and when you have to climb the ladder and scrub on top of that it’s not a good thing. There’s got to be a better way to clean the inside and out, I used a gutter attachment and a telescoping wand and that stinks.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and hope you’re not laughing your tail off.

I still have a bunch of questions from new equipment to a good house wash concoction (they have no SH here in Charlotte, NC).

Thanks again,

Mark

Hello guys and gals,

I'm Adam Sweeney, and I'm looking into getting into the pressure washing business sometime in 2010. Currently I'm working in iraq as a military contractor. I'm a tech controller(fancy title for the guy who keeps the little lights green in the comms world) and also work in computers. Well I hope to be coming back to the states(CSRA GA/SC) sometime in 2010, and looking for a career change. It'll be one of the few times I have in my life that I'll have the means and time to do so. Never really owned my own business and haven't much experience in pressure washing...so looking to learn all I can. I co-owned a small powder coating company for a little while(know what they say about business and family..well it's true) So I'll be poking around the forums, and may be asking for clarification here and there, but thought I'd better go ahead and introduce myself.