Sign in to follow this  
John T

Company website using others pictures

This is from The American Society of Media Photographers, Inc.:

"Copyright is a right, granted to you by law, to control the copying,

reproduction, distribution, derivative use, and public display of your

photographs, and to sue for unauthorized use (infringement) of your work.

This right begins at the moment you fix your photographic expression in

a tangible form, that is, when you create the latent image on film.

Copyright ownership, bestowed automatically when you make an image, does

not depend upon registration with the copyright office or placement of a

copyright notice on the image." (italics added.)

Hey guys,

My sis used to run a photo lab,I asked her how to make sure your photos can not be used without permission.She says a quick copyright notice on pics is,

Make the small c with the circle around it and write your name next to it,and the year.This does not have to be done it large print.With most picture editing program today anything you post online can have "property of and your name added"when you post it.

Squirtgun,

That is good info, however anything you add in a photo editing program can be removed.

They can essentialy edit your info off and add their info to the pic.

I think there is a way to keep them from copying posted pictures.

Don't know how though. Maybe someone will chime in.

Right click button can be disabled, but it only stops the amateur as you can still save the photo thru other means.

Bruce, yes they can edit your image and add their own info, but it does help keep honest people honest. May also be to much work for someone to figure out if they are not to computer savvy. Would also like to hope that if they asked someone else to do it, that they would be honest and say no.

May not stop it, but at least it may deter most.

Originally posted by oneness

It also depends on how the image is saved...If I add text to an image and then save it as a JPEG, then there's no way to simply remove what I've added. It can be done with a lot of detail work, but it isn't all that simple.

Using the above sketch as an example, that can be erased in PSP fairly easy. If it were an actual photo, someone could crop it. Nothing is guaranteed, but every little bit helps.

Well, the example here is a bit simple...And would take about 5 seconds in any photo editor to remove the owner information...Not as easy if it is a photograph and the text is inserted in a critical area of the photo...Short of simply cropping out the text, you'd have to do a good bit of manipulating the image to get rid of the text. It can be done, and I've seen some awesome work in image manipulation by people who knew what they were doing, but it takes some skill and know-how, not to mention the right software. Not something you're going to do in Microsoft Paint or something like that. The bottom line is, nothing you're going to do will stop someone who is determined to steal your images if you post them where they can get them. As Alan has said, every little bit helps!

I think it is sad when someone has to steal someone else's pictures like that...Don't they have any work they have done that they're proud to show? Is the quality of their work that poor, are are they just lazy?

It is kind of flattering, in a sick sort of way, to have somone think enough of your work to want to steal it. :)

Even similarities can be considered copyright infringements if someone is interested enough to take it to court. It's also the some of the whole (not necessarily the pieces only) that can make logos unique.

For example, spelling someones business name differently is still considered infringement if you are selling burgers: McDonalds or MacDonalds or MackDonalds - unless your name is MacDonald or MackDonald.

In most cases things don't become a big issue until you start taking credit for someone else's work or take profits from someone else pocket.

Greetings to all on this board!

How amazing is it to see so many individuals anxious and swift to pass judgment on others. Let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone…

Yes, I am the owner of the website in question. I would like to offer the following comments and observations for all those interested.

The issue of the photos in question used on my website was promptly and swiftly taken care of once I was made aware of the problem. My website continues to receive updates daily and only original content will be used. Rest assured, the same mistake will not be made twice and I challenge anyone to the contrary.

With that said, a certain individual felt motivated and compelled to immediately escalate the issue and publicly reprimand my actions. Instead of offering benefit of doubt, immediate judgment and conclusion with obvious prejudice and intolerance was formulated. By choosing the path of hostility and confrontation, rather than peaceful and practical resolution. It seemed self righteously motivated…as if the goal was to embarrass, humiliate and discredit my endeavors. Obvious deeper issues exist that are beyond my compassion where this is concerned…

I have very little tolerance for those that choose to attack ones persona, integrity and character. Instead, one should try focusing on the issue and not the person. Never have I been so quick to judge anyone for anything derogatory in nature. Personally –or- professionally. This is just simply foolish and inevitably creates unproductive and unhealthy relationships. Not to mention it is immature and inconsequential.

I am truly hopeful that we all can foster positive and productive relationships in spite of this trifle issue, which has been resolved I might add. Some may consider it noble of those anxious to expose others deficiencies. I prefer to think of it as pusillanimous. Such traits directly reflect on ones character and moral fiber. Subsequently, may we all get along?

Regards,

Ernie,

Thank you for posting your side of what transpired. Do you maintain your own web site? Or did you have someone build it for you? We have encountered numerous instances where people's work has been used without permisson.

This thread was created to address an issue that is important - ethical business practices - and to bring to the attention of others that there was a site using others photos without permission. Some of these photos could have, and did in fact belong to a member here. We understand that the photo was taken down. We commend you for it, especially if the photo was placed online by a webmaster without your knowledge and had not yet been discovered.

If you have an individual working on your web site who would do such a thing, perhaps you ought to consider another webmaster. Both disposable and digital cameras are abundantly available today and are wonderful tools to keep in the field. These tools will help keep any dishonest webmaster from taking anothers photos without your knowledge, by allowing you to supply your webmaster with all of the content needed to create your site. However, due diligence and keeping your own business from getting into trouble from actions such as this, is the responsability of any business owner.

With regards to the members here, we're sorry to say we don't share your opinion. Our members and Moderator Staff all strive to remain professional and to uphold the highest possible business standards. We are a community of very helpful individuals. Many of the people here call one another, email and chat in an effort to help both expereinced and new power washers alike. We all work hard to better ourselves and for this very reason, we care. We invest ourselves in benefiting others.

On behalf of those who have been effected by events such as this in the past, we thank you for your diligence and corrective measures. We would like nothing more than to see you become an active part of the community here, with a positive and helpful voice.

Beth & Rod

Administrators

Actually the Curb Appeal PW website was dormant for over a year when this was brought to my attention. I had originally obtained the art work/photos from a web art designer who owed me a favor for some database work I did for him awhile back. I often call on favors from fellow IT professionals in this manner. I’m a full time Microsoft Solutions Developer by profession.

I used the photos he provided on the proto type website and it was unbeknown to me where they came from. It really did not matter then since technically I was not yet operating and the site was not in production. I would also like to add that never did we publish any claim of the photos as our work. I believe the exact words chosen were “examples of what pressure washing can do…”

Anyway, to make a long story short, apparently an overly curious individual browsed the site without reference and discovered the gap. They must have used my company name and figured to try the URL because I was sure I did not publish it anywhere. This whole incident should not have occurred at all…

Anyone who resorts to personally attacking individual character and integrity is not acting in a professional manner by any standard. The tone, demeanor and tactfulness extended my way were severely lacking and personally offensive.

In my opinion, professionalism is measured by a commitment to excellence, discipline and mutual respect. This seemed more like a Turkey shoot… Administrators and moderators should think twice before they allow threads to go astray in this manner. A good motto is “always keep it professional, never personal”.

My intent is not to discredit any individual person or persons. But rather actively contribute to this board and others in a professional, courteous and positive manner.

I look forward to enabling an environment of unequaled synergy with all board members and visitors here alike!

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

What does Mr. Gates do when he finds or hears about somebody

pirating his wares??

Technicaly you didn't claim the pictures were yours!

That sounds like another Bill from the past. Kind of twisting the words to his benefit.

No offense meant but reading this gave me a chuckle tonight.

I guess we can assume the appropriate party received an appolgy or was that an attack?

And now we know the rest of the story-Oh sorry Paul Harvey that is your line.

Good Day!

Give me a break. If you want to protect your so called photos of work that you claim you have done then go through the motions of copyrighting. This very simple. I am amazed that I seeing professionals that say they care about each other and care about the industry to be bent out of shape over photos.

I can understand if it dealt with actual logos or namesake but this is ridiculous and you all know it. I could care less if any of you go to my web site and use my photos. Most web sites just claim before and after photos. Some that want to take all the credit claim that the photos are of their work.

This is ridiculous.

One Call Powerwash

I disagree with you 100%. I brought this thread up awhile ago because a couple of guys from Steve's bb tipped me off about it.

IF you feel that anyone can use your pictures maybe even the guy accross your town thats fine because you say it is but the person that had thier photos used didn't like it and that is where the problem started.

Also we had this problem here before with a guy who lives close to me who's pictures were also used without authorization on another website. He wasn't to happy.

BETH had this happen to where another website actually showed her husband doing the work!!!

I'm glad I brought this thread up here and happy to say that the site owner did the honorable thing by taking care of it. IF he feels I went about it wrong for that I'm sorry but in the end it all worked out.

This debate is one that some feel more strongly about than others. To some, a photo is a photo. To others, it is a representation of the quality of their service and they are reminded of the hard work they did to give the best possible job. perhaps part of it is pride, but to me it seems evident that it is just the right thing to do to ask. And we also can't get away from the fact that the law does protect the one who took the photo. They are the owners of it. The owner should have the right to say yes or no to the use of the photo.

There is also the matter of consent to use the photos that the owner has to get. Companies should be getting the customer's consent to use photos of their property. We're sure many don't. But this consent is limited to the agreement the customer signs. What if someone were to see a photo and come after the company who had consent as well as the one who did not?

This issue is more than just about using a picture or two. It's about due diligence and ethics. It's about doing the right thing by asking when you want to use something. It's about checks and balances. Don't assume if you ask the answer will be no. But if you don't ask don't be surprised if it is the answer you get. Courtesy... perhaps you can call it that if you like.

Regarding the Admins, Moderators, and Members here, yes we do care. Go back and read through this site. Look at the collection of information. Think about the time it took to get it all online. Think about the responses and the effort that went into creating them.

On behalf of this BBS, it's staff and members we would like to apologize if you were offended by the tone of this thread. Further we would also thank you for stepping up and bringing to our attention that another used the photos without your knowledge.

We're glad to see you came back and responded with more information. Now..... tell us more about what you do? Start a thread and share about what kind of work is typical in Florida.

Welcome to The Grime Scene. We're looking forward to your participation.

Beth & Rod

This thread started due to pics of mine, from my website, being used on someone else's site. While it should never have happened, an explanation was given and a correction was made. Thank you Ernie for your prompt attention to this matter.

John Orr

This ended better than what happened with my "two tone" pic. Got into a real pi**ing contest, but it finally got removed. All I had wanted was to be asked. Then it got bad. Issue resolved. Glad this one is too.

Reed

I think if someone does not have enough pic's and need others they should definitely ask and if allowed give credit to the contractor that performed the work along with the picture. I don't have a website but if I did I would not have a problem with someone using them if they followed that protocol. Personally I would rather use all of my own pic's. That way you have a story to tell with them.

Personally I would rather use all of my own pic's. That way you have a story to tell with them.

I agree completely. Only you know what happened on that job, and it was your service that got the job done.

We remember unique things about the jobs we do, and we have no problem picking out our work from photos. Rod also has a real knack for connecting clients names with their property and knowing the details of the job. He's lucky his memory works that way. We believe that there are differences between jobs, not all dirty decks are just dirty decks, and there seems to be various levels of clean, judging by what we have seen.

If you are just getting started, either get a digital camera, or use disposables for a while. In either case, getting your own photos is important. You can't expect to ride someone else's coat tails and not ruffle their feathers.

Beth