Sign in to follow this  
John T

Company website using others pictures

Word for word, and sometimes page for page...

word for word is bad....using others project pics are bad.... that being said, there is only so many ways to explain the weathering process or explain what UV rays do to wood etc.....most Ive seen have been somewhat similar, and I think Ive seen the wood drawing with the boards cupping, spliting, mold, gray, etc on every wood site out there.... :)

Tropical Wave Mike, I dont think the problem is with using general drawings like what your explaining, I think the problem is when guys take before and after photos from another company (some of which even include employees in the photos) and using them as your own. I dont think anyone would have a problem with everyone using drawings, diagrams and other tools out there to get the information to their clients.

Well....

There is info out there from manufacturers like Wolman, who have a contractor's certification program. Their certified contractors are welcome to use the info, as we were told.

There is also info that people have taken time to research and write themselves, and that should be respected. We have had our info taken verbatim, and had folks just change a few words and slap it up there. This is unprofessional and just plan irritating.

To us it is not just the photos, it is the whole thing... photos, logo, name, slogan, and info.

This is a subject I feel very strongly about. We have had this happen to us both locally and long distance, and it is to us, just plain wrong.

Beth :rant:

Beth, so you're saying that if a company started up somewhere else in MD, you guys would have a problem if they named the company "See Dirt Run-Even Faster".............. LOLOL kidding :cool:

Talk about reasons to squawk....

See...

The Power Washers of North America Roof Restoration page.

And...

Vero Beach Pressure Cleaning - By Vero Under Pressure

Some of the photos look familiar too...

Beth :cup:

Oh wow....Just stolen right off his website, word for word (and picture for picture)...

Are you seeing this Mel?

Yea I'm not happy about it. A representative has called and left me a message saying I told him that they could use the info. I remember a conversation about my website and how this rep really liked it ,that was a couple of years ago. I do not remember telling them they could copy it pretty much word for word and use my pics. I would never tell someone they could do that. They could have at least had said this page courtesy of Vero Under Pressure LLC

Yea I'm not happy about it. A representative has called and left me a message saying I told him that they could use the info. I remember a conversation about my website and how this rep really liked it ,that was a couple of years ago. I do not remember telling them they could copy it pretty much word for word and use my pics. I would never tell someone they could do that. They could have at least had said this page courtesy of Vero Under Pressure LLC

Boy that was fast!

Beth

I would be willing to give them written authorization in exchange for a banner ad linking to my site. It is copywright infringement. The goal of any website is to get more people coming there. I am no different than any other website owner. The banner ad linking to my website or I would like the page taken down.There is a big difference between verbal and written authorization. The BOD says I gave him verbal approval.

Doesn't anyone wonder what thought process went into plagiarizing in this manner?It was mentioned in a phone conversation a couple of years ago,not yesterday.

It doesn't look good at all.

Raising that standard of the PW'ing industry! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Doesn't say much about originality though.

Plus in the future people may think Mel copied it from them.

Another thought, can the PWNA now give permission to someone else to use it also.

How specific was your verbal authorization?

Scott

Celeste I am not sure what is going to happen. My experience with the PWNA is when you call there you may or may not get a phone call back. I might try an email to the BOD's. They need to realize that taking info from someone else without WRITTEN permission is not good business.

Plus in the future people may think Mel copied it from them.

Another thought, can the PWNA now give permission to someone else to use it also.

How specific was your verbal authorization?

Scott

Excellent points Scott!

Beth

They could have at least had said this page courtesy of Vero Under Pressure LLC

Coutesy????.........Hmmmmm...........

Doubling of dues...

Moving the convention without asking or informing

Changing by laws without the proper vote

Not disclosing the financials as dictated by law

Never mind the PWNA doesn't care about their perception

Scott

What I remember of the phone call was but don't hold me to it,the call happened 2 years ago. He liked my site and wanted to use some of the info. Word for word and pics were not mentioned. I would like credit for it and a banner ad linked to my site I don't think thats too much to ask. Am I being unreasonable?

I don't think that as a member, it should be unreasonable to have your company credited for what you provided the organization. Those are your photos, your customers, your words....you should receive some reciprocal links or something.

Of course, I know nothing :)