Sign in to follow this  
John T

Company website using others pictures

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all. It's your work.

Besides, no offense, but wouldn't it make better sense for them to quote say...ARMA or CS&SB? Perhaps link to those org sites since they are expert in the roofing field?

Beth

I would like credit for it and a banner ad linked to my site I don't think thats too much to ask. Am I being unreasonable?

I would propose giving credit on page to "PWNA member Vero Under Pressure".

Then let them give you a free membership to the PWNA as long as the page is on the web. $395.00 is a lot better value to me than a banner ad.

Scott

Beth ARMA stands for asphalt roofing manufacturers association. I am not sure they even clean roofs. The other represents cedar shake. The pics are of barrel tile, now that doesn't make any sense. That would be like PWNA stealing your pics and linking people to the national lumber association.

They were subjects used in her article for the pwna column in The Cleaner Times. Being the 2 highest qualified sources for roofing information including maintenance recommendations to represent a standard and would have made sense as a link to for reference. She looked for an org regarding tile roofing but to no avail.

Rod!~

Scott not to me because I will refuse to pay 395 for another year of all this craziness.

I won't either until there is either a major ethics realization AND reform or better yet a regime change.

But for free I would remain a member if I were you. You will get more out of that than a banner ad that will net you zero in business.

That's my opinion anyway.

But if you don't want to be in the PWNA as matter of principal, THEN HATS OFF TO YOU!!

Scott

That's like the one at Buca de Bepo which has a sign for their delivery drivers that says..."You park-a in this space and we break a you face!

Sheesh, it seems like the mafia is getting around these days...

Rod!~

How is it that when a member has a problem concerning membership, or another topic, or if a non-member wants some information, it is nearly impossible to get a phone call in a timely manner; yet when a member's work is plagiarized, and the PWNA is caught with their hand in the cookie jar, the phone rings in the early AM.

How lame is this excuse, "Remember a couple of years ago when you gave me permission to use your work and photos thereof, without remuneration for a period not less than eternity, without credit, and without notification of such use and/or its duration on said hypothetical and/or real website, organization literature, and other advertizing/informative media, whether extant at that time or any new technologies yet to be developed and/or used? Well, why are you upset now?

Sheesh, they ought to be ashamed.

I'm typically a proponent of trade and technical organizations, but the ethical transgressions of the PWNA are difficult to overlook.

Fellas, your slip is showing.

How is it that when a member has a problem concerning membership, or another topic, or if a non-member wants some information, it is nearly impossible to get a phone call in a timely manner; yet when a member's work is plagiarized, and the PWNA is caught with their hand in the cookie jar, the phone rings in the early AM.

How lame is this excuse, "Remember a couple of years ago when you gave me permission to use your work and photos thereof, without remuneration for a period not less than eternity, without credit, and without notification of such use and/or its duration on said hypothetical and/or real website, organization literature, and other advertizing/informative media, whether extant at that time or any new technologies yet to be developed and/or used? Well, why are you upset now?

Sheesh, they ought to be ashamed.

I'm typically a proponent of trade and technical organizations, but the ethical transgressions of the PWNA are difficult to overlook.

Fellas, your slip is showing.

Hey, I even received a phone call...I think the guy who called mistook me for Mel, because he was very apologetic in the message he left...wanted to talk so we could work this out, and mentioned that he was working to turn the organization around over the past 4 months, and that he wished when situations like this arise, they could be worked out before they wind up all over the message boards.

Too bad they didn't try to work it out BEFORE putting the pictures and text up on their board...Just amazing...and then not to even think of giving credit for where it came from.

Too bad they didn't try to work it out BEFORE putting the pictures and text up on their board...Just amazing...and then not to even think of giving credit for where it came from.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but man! They get a little rope, they climb higher on the scaffold.

It drives me nuts, because what little I do see of the Directors posting (John Tornabene) seems to show a sincere guy trying to do something. I sometimes think he is being taken advantage of.

Of course there is no way to know, because the organization won't speak on the record, in public. Not my problem, I'm the prospective member, they should be falling all over themselves to talk to me and people like me.

Right now they are acting like kids with a clubhouse. In my experience, that fortress mentality leads to obsessive secrecy and then corruption.

like I said, the slip is showing. Or, if you prefer, it is walking like a duck, and appears to be preparing to quack.

LOL, you crack me up Scott. You are a true man of prose.

Hey, I even received a phone call...I think the guy who called mistook me for Mel, because he was very apologetic in the message he left...wanted to talk so we could work this out, and mentioned that he was working to turn the organization around over the past 4 months, and that he wished when situations like this arise, they could be worked out before they wind up all over the message boards.

Well.... Mike and Mel both begin with M. You are both in Florida....

Beth

If you click the link, it appears as though the PWNA and Mel may have reached an accord.

It is good to see a good guy get his due credit.

And to see the PWNA not dig in their heels on this. They haqve responded in a timely manner, correctly. They deserve some credit for that.

I hope Mel was happy with this outcome, and that the posted info is beneficial.

? What are you looking at? I see the same thing I did the first time. Where is the mention of Mel? If there is a link to something new please share it....

Beth :cup:

At the top below the photos is the following:

*** This information and photos were reprinted with permission from Vero Under Pressure, LLC in Vero Beach Florida. The PWNA thanks them for their support of the industry. ***

Well it shows up in IE, but not in Firefox. Seems like they didn't check browser compatibility. So....I'm sure they will fix it.

Beth

It shows up in my firefox...Maybe refresh the page?

I would have thought that at a minimum, they could have put up a link to his website.

It shows up in my firefox...Maybe refresh the page?

I would have thought that at a minimum, they could have put up a link to his website.

Maybe you have to be more than just a member that has paid dues and contributed copy and photos (albeit with 2-year old verbal permission) to the PWNA official website, to get a link to your actual website.

After all, contributing to the PWNA website can't be about just your business.:rolleyes:

If Mel is happy, that is probably enough for me, but I'd be cautious about what I agreed to when dealing with them. They just seem to be out to get what they can wherever they can find it. I think people had better read the disclosures that come along with membership extra closely. You have to be aware what you sign up for.

It may not actually be this way, but, in the absence of other information, I have to go by what is available. I know that isn't something the PWNA likes to hear, but isn't any less true just because they don't like it.