Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Chemical Burns

Have you ever suffered a chemical burn?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever suffered a chemical burn?

• No, I have been very lucky I don't use safety equipment
    • No, I use all the necessary PPE (Personal Protection Equipment)
    • Yes, I have suffered a slight burn even with PPE
    • Yes, I have suffered a slight burn but was unprotected
    • Yes, I have suffered a severe burn and was unprotected

Any time I spill 12.5 or SH on myself, I dip a paper towel in oxalic and wipe the affected area. It works. If you wait for the burn to begin, it will sting like H**L, but it will still work.

You neutralize yourself the same way you neutralize wood!!!!!!!!!!! Oxalic acid has it's own set of side effects....sterilization being one of them. If it's an acid that it takes to neutralize the chemical on you - maybe try a Coke or Pepsi.

Vinegar and lemon juice work also. You can get a gallon of vinegar to keep on the truck for very little money. You might smell like a salad, but it's gentler that oxylic!

Please guys, be gentle on your bodies.

Beth

The 1st trial roof I did with New Again SH about 5 years ago, I did my mortgage brokers roof with a back pack sprayer and I tilted forward and I felt something sting, but thought I was tough about 15 minutes later I was soaking it with water. I had no clue, well by the next day I had a spot on my back that looked like a McDonalds hamburger. Never let that happen again.

Ive also gotten high feeling off some chems we use to use in industrial painting, One time at Pilgrim nuke plant we used this product to clean for paint prep, all it said was M-6 on the 55 gallon drum. There was 7 of us cleaning pipes in a room with only a small doorway and we were all singing and laughing, laying on the ground banging pipes. When a couple white hats(Supers) came in and started yelling for us all to get out. None of us even realized we were getting high off it. After that time we never saw M-6 at the Nuke plant and never did know what it was, it cleaned real good with super quick evaporation

Theres so many things that will hurt you, becareful

I was working in South Caroilina a few weeks back and got a pretty decent burn from F-18 Max I never had one from the regular F-18 but the Max burnt me good. Good thing Roger had vinegar in his rig.

BE SAFE.

I don't think it's athletes foot for me. I had mine cleared up 100% and it was back after one day on crew. Looks and acts just like AF, but responds poorly to AF cremes, ok to lotions, and pops up in just 48 hours.

I had something similar last year.At work in my boots or constantly wet shoes, my feet would get hard and scruffy. On my off shifts they would be better till they got wet again at work. AF creams did nothing so I thought it was just wet feet pruning on me.

I finally went to a dermatologist and he scraped it and it was a fungal infection that would only respond to lamisil. $12.00 a pill for ten days.It cured it though.You may have something similar.I didn't think I had anything cause the OTC creams never helped.

Scott

all you people having problems with fungal infections of your feet, you might find it beneficial to keep salicylic acid + benzoic acid cream on hand at home.. once a week or so has prooven beneficial to keep down fungal infections from the """yucky boots""". I also on my down days soak my foot attire in pericarb for a few hrs.. keeps em from really getting out of hand smell wise, and it's sanitary at the very least..

As far as burns are considered.. the only burn I've gotten was when I was walking back to my washer, tripped over a curb, and "YEAH" i caught myself.. too bad it was with my hand on the exhaust!.. wasn't "too" bad thou.. some silver sulfadiazine cream and it was good in bout 7 days. I suggest everybody keep SOME ON HAND it's not really all that expensive, good anti-microbial to keep from getting infected, and REALLY aids in the healing process.

One of my first large jobs was a dealership where I was cleaning the building. In order to clean the top area I had to get on the roof, lean over the concrete ledge to clean the mold off the very top of the building. I this time I did not have any equipment to reach up high. What I didn't know was I had chlorine on the ledge that I was leaning over on. Since I was wet from sweat I didn't realize it until the burning started. My belly still show some of the redness after 1 1/2 Years. Lesson learned the hard way! Hugh

Early on in my stripping career, I thought a back pack sprayer was going to be a good idea for mixing up a larger, 4gal, amount of stripper.

Sometime during the day, it started leaking out of the top somewhere, and dripping down my back behind the sprayer.

Lucky I was using some cheap grade powdered stripper, not HD or F18, cause it healed up in a week or so.

Never used backpack sprayer again, though.

Been weeks now since some souped up stripper went through some dumb Body Gloves I was using while mixing. I threw the glove off and rinsed within seconds but it didn't matter. Wrist looked horrible and eaten at and was about the size of a silver dollar within a day or two. Now it just a little flaky and tingles abit. After said and done the scar is gonna be about dime sized so I lucked out.

Now more importantly I wonder about the foot issues mentioned above. First off is there or can there be anything to idea of toxins making their way down to the feet rather than just footwear and moisture issues being to blaim?. Could it be that things breathed or ingested end up there. Maybe we've all seen that infomercial product where ya attach these films onto yer feet overnight and they pull out all the toxins? My first impression was that it is bogus and that it is just dead skin cells coming out peoples feet but then again I have heard that fingernails and hair are parts of the body that hold concentrated stuff the body wants ot get rid of... maybe there is something to this whole gravity/feet/toxin thing...

My issue is that on one arch of my foot I have had severe itch that didn't involve any redness on the outer skin. Started maybe a month back. It was like internal up until just the other day. Although the itch has died down quite abit, now there is an ever so slight pealing/blistering going on. Is odd that there is no inflamation or redness. WTH do I got? Around time this came up I don't remember having wet feet from pressure washing or from stripping floors. I wear waders while washing actually. The one main thing that correlates is that about a week prior I intoxicated myself with some solventborne acrylic. Had forgotten my respirator during second coating a deco floor..gotta admit it was not a smart situation and I muffed up bad.

Any ideas?..maybe I should goto doctor and hope lamasil is all I need.

Walked through diluted SH in my waterproof boots during a parking lot rinse; soon thereafter, discovered why they make chemicalproof boots. Cost me a few layers of skin and half the nail from my big toe. Since then, I keep a gallon jug of vinegar on the rig for an emergency rinse - - just curious, does anyone else do that?

Bleach/jomax to the eyes (through the goggles spraying a 2 story house soffit)burned out my contacts.it was stupid but now i wear a face sheild and never shoot from a lader.

yeah I just got a fresh batch of chlorine and started usin the xjet and instead of working normally it jetted back and got in my eyes, worst part was it was 10% no mix. Next day surflow line had a leek, burnt my hands and i got a 2nd degree chem burn on my leg, its all bloody now,guess levis arent chem proof

Edited by bornagainpw

We did try some that do burn the skin a few years back. Most on the BBS said this was the chemical to use back then. But those chemicals seemed not to have any better results or even less cleaning results then what we are currently using.

I guess we are fortunate since we currently do not have any chemicals that will burn our skin, lungs or eyes and is 100% Bio-Degradable.

Spilled SH in my boot. Also, my helper did the same thing. Vinegar is the fix, but you will still ha e wet socks. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2